1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: The Ticket: Al Johnson Interview

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by TheHustler, Aug 4, 2005.

1. TheHustler

TheHustler Active Member

5,391 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    -How's life?
    Good. Football, great weather. Bumps, bruises, aches pains. Getting spoiled with this weather.

-Debating your weight these days?
    Before practice, 96, 97. After, 92, 93.

-Coach talking about options at center, wonders aloud if you are big enough in the trenches for full time duty?
    Only a week into camp. Played 16 games last year, plan on playing many more 16 game seasons. It's all just talk to me. Coach just wants a best team. Doesn't want people to get complacent. Andre pushes me, I push him.

-Maximum weight?
    305 is my max, no minimum. Played 295 last year, hope to play 298 this year. Not worried about the weight factor. Put on good muscle. Worked out more this off-season than last off-season because I had to rehab.

-Jason Ferguson, how strong?
    Strong as an Ox. Can anchor any boat out there. Able to torque the line. Powerful. Able to two-gap a center. Always have to double team him.

-How different is it for you now, after a year?
    It's never easier. Even Larry and Marco wouldn't say its easier. Know what to expect. Know there are going to be long days, rough days. No surprises.

-Doesn't the center have to make calls?
    Yes. As far as the calls, we're changing a lot of them with the new oline coach. It's easier in that way, not a lot of new calls to learn.

-Off season question
    Didn't go back to Wisconsin. Stayed in Dallas, worked out. Took a vacation in wimberly texas.

-Kill animals in Wisconsin?
    I do. I have some land in Wisconsin. Texas deer are pretty small, Wisconsin deer are pretty big.

-Vinny and Drew, and Quincy, does it matter to you? Any adjustments?
    No. All the same to me.

-When did you first play C?
    2nd year in college.

-Ever have to overcome homophobia?
    No. There's a few layers of clothes, and things like that. You're happy his hands are there, you're aiming right there, otherwise it would hurt. What really hurts is the follow through on the shotgun.

-No one wears cups in the NFL?
    No.

I get wise cracks about it.

-Is it ever weird? C is in charge. You've got Larry, Marco, Flo....
    A little weird. They all respect the job I do. We help each other out, making calls. No animosity.
  2. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Thanks Hustler, sounds like Al has the right attitude.
  3. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Al Johnson knows the real deal - he's the starter
  4. Rush 2112

Rush 2112 New Member

1,496 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Who was it that called him a Trained Pig?

Hell of a lot better than "I won't let you fail".

Is it just me or is there a presupposition in that statement?
  5. playit12

playit12 New Member

795 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can't believe when I heard him say that no one wears cups in the NFL. That gives a whole new perspective on a few hits I've seen.

By the way on the line calls... he said that they have simplified things this year. Much less calls. I wonder why?
  6. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Great job Hustler......thanks
  7. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Less penalties
  8. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,113 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    Move over Al, here comes Dre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Billy Bullocks

Billy Bullocks Active Member

4,075 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I know very few people who wear cups in football. They restrict your movement way too much, IMO
  10. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,952 Messages
    1,848 Likes Received
    Good god - he's right....and there is no question about it.

Gurode sucks.......simple.
  11. Rush 2112

Rush 2112 New Member

1,496 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How long tell we here we should trade Gurode for nothing less than a 2nd round pick?
  12. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, if we are going to trade Dre, we ought to get at least a second round pick.
  13. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,702 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    not rocket science to begin with.
  14. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,425 Messages
    2,228 Likes Received
    Actually its not simple.

The due was drafted just where he was projected near the top of the second round. Quite a few boards had him at the bottom of the first. He was highly touted.

Alot of people fail to give Gurode credit for his rookie season. He actually started several games after Lehr was stinking up the joint and showed really well for himself.

Last year he performed poorly at guard, true. But at the same time I think the smart way to view this is wholistically. Fact is that the guy has played well in the past and it is not beyond reason to expect that he could do so again.

This is doubly true if he is put in his best spot to succeed. Center may be that spot. HE HAS HAD SUCCESS IN THE NFL THERE BEFORE.

Now this takes NOTHING away from Johnson who has good size at 300 lbs to be able to move in space and still pack some punch up front.

Discounting a player moving back to a position that he has succeeded at before because he failed playing at a different position before is not the smartest move.

To me its like saying that Reese would have failed at safety because he didnt play well at corner.

Lets move Johnson out to guard and see how he does.
  15. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,702 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    I agree plus some will lead you to believe that you have to be a brain surgeon to play center. The line calls are very important but they ain't overly complex especially with Sparano simplifying things even further.

Anything in football can be repped into a player some might adhere to it faster then others but all will get it.

The primary reason for Dre not beating out Al will be the physical nature of the position else you can line up Einstein to snap and double the 1tech.