1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Wolverine

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by joseephuss, Mar 28, 2013.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,900 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    They don't try to make him look shorter because they don't want to do so. They never had the intention of making him exactly like the comic book version. His height is irrelevant in their opinions. Same with the costume.
  2. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,829 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    Well, yeah, that's the complaint. It's a complete misunderstanding of the character.
  3. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,683 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    Or it's the realization that something which works in one media doesn't translate so well into another media.
  4. joseephuss

20,900 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    I don't think height is that important to the movie character of Wolverine. Making him short wouldn't really change him that much in the movie media.

I don't really think height is the most important aspect to the comic book character, either. Although being short is part of who he is, it isn't as important as other elements that make him up. They could have made him average height in the comics and still would have had the same basic character.
  5. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Well-Known Member

1,068 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    I liked his little 4 comic series they did, and he pretty much wore street clothes thru all that. He's not Superman. He smokes and drinks and curses. No need to break out the spandex IMO. Leave that in the '80s where it belongs.
  6. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,173 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    Again, none of those make him look exceptionally tall. None of them have adequate points of reference to make any determination. Most shots have people far off in the background or bending/hunched over. And most shots are also angled up (which makes anyone look bigger).

He doesn't look stocky, but you can be short and not be stocky. He looks evenly proportioned, but that is not an indicator of height. The closes he comes to looking tall would be next to the one girl walking up the stairs. If she's 5', that would put him around 5'8". Definitely not tall. But I don't know her height.
  7. theogt

43,829 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    This is beyond stupid, I'm not even going to try to argue. You're just being obstinate for the sake of it. For the past decade and a half this has been a complaint about Jackman's portrayal that everyone has simply had to live with. This is hardly a controversial or new point.
  8. ChldsPlay

6,173 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    Silly me, I thought we were talking about The Wolverine trailers, which have no shots with anything close to enough points of reference to infer that he is tall.
  9. theogt

43,829 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    No, you're here to argue an indefensible point just to be annoying. Get a life.
  10. ChldsPlay

6,173 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    My point is a lot more defensible than yours. And I'm not the one wasting time posting pictures that don't back up my point in any way.
  11. joseephuss

20,900 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    I saw this animated movie poster at the theater this past weekend. Looks pretty cool. If they put the same work into the movie as they did in making the poster then maybe it will be a good show.

[youtube]yZh-HbPx350[/youtube]
  12. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,876 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Jackman is 6'2.5" and it's apparent that the 5'3" character in the comic is something they've put aside.