1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

There's a reason 23 teams passed on Dez

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by RickMoranis, Oct 2, 2012.

1. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

14,947 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    but Rice didn't need a baby sitter.
  2. gmb85

gmb85 Active Member

1,486 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Dez would be killing it if he was a NY Giant or even a Ram (Danny Amendola...anyone?). The way Jerrah runs this organization is a freaking joke.
  3. gmb85

gmb85 Active Member

1,486 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    They should've addressed his nonsense his rookie season. We wouldn't be paying the price now.:banghead:
  4. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,176 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    I dont think they are using Dez correctly. Part of being a good coach is knowing the strengths and weaknesses of your players and putting them in position to be successful. How much of that have we seen since JG has been here?

Felix, Murray, MartyB, Dez etc...... These guys have some talent and it has not been used correctly.
  5. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,521 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    not sure what you saw, but Dez was supposed to adjust his route and curl out in front of the CB but instead never adjusted and ran the route he was called to run in the huddle. Romo saw the LB you are talking about line up to blitz Romo (not defend that pass like you are implying) and called out to Dez to the need to adjust his route. Dez did not do it for whatever reason and it was clearly on Dez for that int.

It is easy for us to sit back and say Romo should not have thrown that ball after the fact, but you have to remember alot of these pass plays are timing passes where the ball goes to where the receiver should be at time of throw.

I have been a big fan of Dez and was very happy to see us get him at draft time, but I am beginning to think he just doesn't have enough upstairs to understand the game and live up to his potential.
  6. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,850 Messages
    568 Likes Received
    He does that when he's not the target -- he doesn't seem to understand that the pieces work together -- and if Tony is flushed out of the pocket that he needs to be able to trust that his WR is where he is supposed to be. I really believe that Dez rarely sees passes on plays where Romo is creating b/c if he's not the primary target, Tony can't take the time to figure out where he is supposed to be as he's not run his route correctly (or at all)
  7. canters

canters Active Member

1,778 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Dez is not a wasted pick, but he is not and will not be Randy Moss or Jerry Rice. His inability to read and memorize the playbook ( this had always followeed him around since being in college ) will limit him. If he cannot fly by the seat of his pants and improvise, he is what he is.

When healthy, he is a guy who will regularly catch 55-65 balls a year for 850-1000 yards, but will rarely make the game winning score or take over a game.
    He will make bone-headed plays however, and fits right in with 85% of this team which is made up of good or solid NFL players, but not stars.
  8. mach92

mach92 New Member

18 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He was a problem for the POKES and he is a problem here. The day he was drafted, I said wasted pick. I'd love to be wrong but so far he has proven me correct.

9. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,300 Messages
    668 Likes Received
    If Dez doesn't start getting it together and the Cowboys end up missing the playoffs again he won't be a Cowboy next season. They'll look to trade him.
  10. Doc50

Doc50 Original Fan Zone Supporter

523 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    Is that a 3 year retention rate?

(In other words, only 53% of draft picks would be on the team after 3 years.)
  11. KJJ

10,300 Messages
    668 Likes Received
    If Dez was receiving proper coaching on a well organized, disciplined team I agree he would be a beast right now.
  12. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,657 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    How many teams passed on Romo?
  13. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    Yup...maybe we can say the same for turnover Tony???
  14. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,164 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Agree. We simply can't keep making excuses for this guy. He is dumb as a box of rocks. You just can't coach stupid.
  15. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,066 Messages
    2,605 Likes Received
    I think Dez should be doing things better at this point but it takes most three years to get it. Dez has missed a fair amt of TC time. I doubt he's stupid but I also doubt anyone here actually knows the guy and none know how he does in practice and film sessions. If you can't be where you're supposed to be then that's a problem.
  16. KJJ

10,300 Messages
    668 Likes Received
    They passed on Romo for an entirely different reason. We saw several of those reasons last night.
  17. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

700 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    No, its a timing route. You expect the WR to be where you throw the ball. Not worried about the defender, you throw the ball before the WR makes his cut. Which is what happened except Dez went up field.
  18. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,013 Messages
    391 Likes Received
    And whats really ironic is that the defense new where the ball was going more so than the offense (Dez).
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,647 Messages
    1,114 Likes Received
    He was also a rookie in 1985 and had a, you know, family.

I don't buy it that every WR in the league is extremely talented. By that logic, the only thing separating Calvin Johnson and, say, Brandon Stokely, is film and focus? No freaking way.

People are allowing Dez' shortcomings to cloud the fact that there probably aren't five guys in the league more physically gifted than him at his position. It's too early to do that to a guy whose only 23 years old.
  20. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

700 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    How long do we wait then? If Dez is a top five talent do we give him big money on his next contract? As of right now, I'd pay him slot WR money..

If they can get value back, I'd trade him. You wait to long, he'll have less value.