1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Thinking About The 8 Teams Ahead of Us

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Hostile, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,041 Messages
    870 Likes Received
    When I look at the 8 teams ahead of the Cowboys I try and figure out their draft needs. Since Andrew Luck went back to school I do not think there is a consensus guy as the overall number one pick. The Combine has cemented this further.

Number 1...Ron Rivera comes to Carolina from the Chargers. He ran a 3-4 in San Diego, but Carolina was a 4-3 scheme. He has 4-3 experience at Chicago and Philly. I think the Panthers will stay a 4-3 scheme. Too many needs for a conversion. So I cannot see Quinn, Miller, or Dareus at number 1.

To me they have to either go Bowers or Fairley or shock the world and take Cam Newton. Which is exactly what I would do if I were in Rivera's shoes. He has no QB to speak of. This year the number 1 pick is a gamble. When left with few options take the highest reward gamble. That is QB.

Why Newton over Gabbart? Marketing. Newton is a great looking kid with charisma. He is the Heisman Trophy winner and he is Carolina's best choice.

Cam Newton is the pick.

Number 2...Denver was the worst Defense in the NFL. John Fox goes from the worst team in the NFL to the 2nd worst. Does the 4-3 come with him? Is he already scrapping the 3-4? I think so. Therefore again I don't see Dareus, Quinn, or Miller. It is Fairley or Bowers here I think. With Champ Bailey back on board they need pressure on the QB. They only registered 23 sacks in 2010. They do get Dumervil back. Give the man some help.

Da'Quan Bowers is the pick.

Number 3...No doubt Buffalo was looking at Newton. Chan Gailey coached at the Senior Bowl The guy who stood out on his team, Von Miller. They could go QB and take Gabbart, but they need a pass rush in the worst way and Miller has shown Gailey he has what it takes. Here's the problem, their GM, Buddy Nix, talks too much. He wants a QB. He gets one despite a better option at pass rusher there. He may get a guy more polished than Newton, but the fact remains none of these guys are Luck.

Blaine Gabbart is the pick.

Number 4...Marvin Lewis saved his job again. Now his OC is gone and Jay Gruden has arrived. The problem is his QB is leaving and there isn't a guy to take now. That is another reason why Buffalo took a 2nd QB so soon. They need a QB in round 2, but taking another QB in round 1 is silly. Luckily they have other solid needs.

A. J. Green is the pick.

Number 5...I have no doubts whatsoever that the Cardinals want a pass rusher. Miller or Quinn?

Von Miller is the pick.

Number 6...The Browns lost their NT. There's a NT ready.

Marcel Dareus is the pick.

Number 7...San Francisco also needed a QB. I think they want Gabbart. With no shot at him they need to fill their next biggest need and that is pass rush.

Robert Quinn is the pick.

Number 8...The Titans have got to fix their Defense and a guy who was once thought to be the overall #1 pick is there.

Nick Fairley is the pick.

Hallelujah, look who magically has made it to number 9 because the teams ahead of us have bigger needs.

[IMG]

I'm tired. Good night. I'll see how bad I get kicked for this in the morning.

:p:
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,265 Messages
    1,223 Likes Received
    You know what I think of the 8 teams ahead of Dallas?

They can suck it!

Bout it.
  3. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

6,976 Messages
    202 Likes Received
    It all depends on Patrick Peterson. If the guy runs a sub 4.3, he is top 5 without a doubt. All I want is a playmaker: Fairley, Miller, Peterson or Quinn

Oh, and the Browns did not lose their NT. Ahtyba Rubin is their NT.
  4. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,390 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    Ah.....u do know the combine has already happened right?

P.Peterson ran his 40
  5. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

6,976 Messages
    202 Likes Received
    There is still his pro day.
  6. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd absolutely love it if all eight teams ahead of us ignore their draft boards and draft for need....I really would.

I looked for reasons to believe in Santa Claus until high school...but this is really hard to buy. :D
  7. TheDallasDon

2,390 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    If he didn't run it at the combine, what makes u think he didn't top out?

Where he trained for months and said that was his goal 2 run it?
  8. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    More often than not, athletes run faster at their pro days than they do at the combine.

It wouldn't shock me to see 4-5 times as many sub 4.3 times at pro-days than we saw at the combine.
  9. TheDallasDon

2,390 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    I bet not on the scouts stop watch, the one that matters
  10. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

6,976 Messages
    202 Likes Received
    Even the 4.3 he ran at the combine (at his size plus his tape) should make him a top 5 pick. If he runs a sub 4.3 at his pro day, he is a lock. I would be shocked if he falls out of the top 3.

Like Tomson said, players run better at their pro days. They pick surfaces that they are familiar with and more favorable. Peterson will run better at his pro day, if he even chooses to run.
  11. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,019 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    What this mock shows is that the Boys need both QB's and A.J. Green to get picked before 9....If that happens, someone will drop. Hopefully it will be Peterson. If not it could Fairley or Bowers.

Peterson, Fairley, or Bowers would be the steal of the draft at 9
  12. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Aerosmith playing in the background, "Dream On, Dream On, Dream until your dreams comes true........."

:D
  13. TheDallasDon

2,390 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :bow:

Someone is going to drop it happens every year and with the chance of mabey 2 QB going before 9 someone will fall that's not supposed to.

The question is who
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,172 Messages
    766 Likes Received
    Rivera will go D Line. This is a lousy year for QBs. I really doubt anyone will take Newton in the top 10. Let alone first. As cheap as Carolina has been lately, I doubt they will splurge for a QB.
  15. casmith07

casmith07 #TeamJerry

25,429 Messages
    967 Likes Received
    Quick, someone call ESPN and tell them that Patrick Peterson's feet smell funny, or that his mom maybe, kind of, we-aren't-sure, we think was a prostitute.
  16. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I don't think there is any way Carolin takes Cam Newton. I just can't imagine they (Ron Rivera) would take that big of a gamble on someone with HUGE bust factor at QB with the first overall pick. I think they take Bowers or Fairley.

1. Carolina: Bowers or Fairley
    2. Broncos: Patrick Peterson
    3. Buffalo: Cam Newton (they need a QB and inject some excitement in Buff, it will be epic fail too)
    4. Bengals: Blaine Gabbart (they must get a QB)
    5. Cardinals: They take what Carolina did not. (Fairley or Bowers)
    6. Browns: Marcel Dareus
    7. 49ers: A. J. Green (best available)
    8. Titans: No QBs to be had, Robert Quinn
    9. Cowboys: With Peterson and Fairley gone, the Cowboys take Tyron Smith.
  17. TheDallasDon

2,390 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    I sent them a e-mail saying he drowns little puppys and lights cats on fire............after he fights them
  18. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I think sooner or later john elway will tweet who denver is taking at 2 , And if it isn't PP then we could start this dream scenario up again but for now Hos stop teasing us :D

hey why doesnt JJ use twitter? loves the camera to much ? or maybe it's because there is no app for lip smacks? :p:
  19. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

33,153 Messages
    899 Likes Received
    I don't see Newton as the number one pick. He didn't really interview well. He didn't throw well and he has some things in his past. I would not take him first overall. I'd go with a safer pick. It's as much a statement on the HC as it is the player if that player fails and a brand new coach would be taking a big risk should that pick not work out. I probably wouldn't consider him over Gabbert were I considering a QB. JMO.
  20. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Yeah, thats exactly the way I see it too. I *CAN* on the other hand seeing Buffalo pulling the trigger for two reasons. They need a QB and Cam would bring a lot of excitement to Buffalo fans.

Look at my top 9 mock above. Does that look reasonable in your opinion?