1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

This is no way to get us up & running

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by JBond, Nov 2, 2012.

1. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    As hundreds of thousands of Big Apple residents suffer in homes left without power by Hurricane Sandy, two massive generators are being run 24/7 in Central Park — to juice a media tent for Sunday’s New York City Marathon.
    And a third “backup” unit sits idle, in case one of the generators fails.

The three diesel-powered generators crank out 800 kilowatts — enough to power 400 homes in ravaged areas like Staten Island, the Rockaways and downtown Manhattan.

As of Friday morning, five generators sat outside of the park along with electrical stations and transformers.

In addition to the generators, a food services truck dropped off hundreds of cases of water, sparking angered responses from hurricane victims.
    "I am from Coney Island where everything is flooded and underwater," Yelena Gomelsky, 65, said. "I live 1 block from the ocean where everything is floating. "[Seeing the generators and water] makes me feel so bad. People have no food, no water, nothing.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/this_is_no_way_to_get_us_up_running_egrMk4ukpzFCGhSF8oM5kN
  2. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    How Bloomberg is still Mayor is beyond me. I read the article on WSJ. He should be ashamed of himself.

As a nation we are seriously falling behind. Our behavior is that of some 3rd world country. Our political leaders are failing us miserably.
  3. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I can see his "we must go on" mindset, but on this one, I think he's not thinking clearly.

Several runners are already boycotting the race itself, and rather taking the time to volunteer that day in Staten Island and surrounding areas.
  4. a_minimalist

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Why not set up stations in different areas with a generator to help those without power? Any sane person who is in touch with everyday people would understand this.
  5. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    that's awesome, good for them.
  6. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    That pretty cool for them to do that but unless it's the top runners it won't get their attention.

The whole field should boycott. That would get their attention.
  7. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,066 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    Poor New York.

I wonder what is gonna happen to it in 2023
  8. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,104 Messages
    1,301 Likes Received
    Profit over people
  9. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,431 Messages
    194 Likes Received
  10. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
  11. DallasCowpoke

5,431 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    Yea, and I'll bet there's gonna be as big a backlash from ppl there or on their way there, who are ROYALLY PO'd!!!
  12. a_minimalist

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    If anyone is pissed off about it they deserved to be punched in the teeth :D:D
  13. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,320 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    I would like to point out something. While the generators might be able to *power* 400 home, they would never do so. It just doesn't work like that.

Anyhow, the New York City Marathon should have been immediately cancelled. The fact that it wasn't is bad, but what is even worse is cancelling it at the last second. Since they didn't cancel it earlier, it was absolutely foolish to cancel it at the last second. :facepalm:
  14. Sam I Am

31,320 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    You should be punched in the teeth. :D
  15. a_minimalist

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Absolutely agree.
  16. DallasCowpoke

5,431 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    I don't think the objective is to power single homes Per se. More so relief centers and entities that can help multiples of people.

Also, given the high #'s of NYPD/NYFD that call Staten Island home, seems like snubbing that population is a REALLY ignorant move by City Hall.
  17. Sam I Am

31,320 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Oh I agree. The problem is, Marathon or no Marathon, the current relief effort would be no different. The only thing that would have possibly changed would be police patrols.

It should have been called off the second the hurricane ended and the damage had been done, but not calling it off would have minimal affect on the current relief effort.

As I said the biggest bungle was calling it off at the last second when it was already practically underway. They basically not only took away any positive affect it would have had, but they also ate the preparation effort and money already poured into it. It was a double negative. Lost positive and lost effort and money solely due to a last second cancel.

Plain and simple, it was stupid to cancel it at the last minute since it had already gotten that far.
  18. DallasCowpoke

5,431 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    I don't disagree. I do kinda give them a slight pass, purely because how many directions the powers-that-be must be getting pulled.

To paraphrase one of NYC's favorite adopted sons, "I wouldn't wish those troubles to a monkey on a rock."
  19. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,287 Messages
    1,234 Likes Received
    Oh, he's thinking clearly. He's thinking like a businessman - the marathon would have generated millions in income that could have helped the recovery long term in a city that's already stretched in terms of budget.

I don't think the decision to let it go on had anything to do with helping the city go on, it had everything to do with the financials involved.
  20. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,915 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    I live in Nassau County on Long Island. It is a wreck. Ed Mangano is handling this horribly. No shelters, food was hard to come by until thurs. Thankfully I was scheduled for a surgery yesterday and am in Manhattan. The media hype really overstates it my family walked around during the op and many people said so & it appeared so.