1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

This is the year to grab a developmental QB

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,812 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    round 2-5 prospects; Locker, Mallett, Stanzi, Kaepernick, Dalton, McElroy, Ponder, Devlin.

Stacked from rounds 2-5, if we plan on replacing McGee as the developmental, or want another one in because Kitna is 39 this season, this is truly the year to grab one.
  2. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,152 Messages
    1,783 Likes Received
    why?

i think mcgee showed enough last year to deserve one more year, another year in the system abd he could be our primary back-up next year, then you draft another QB for the #3 spot in rounds 5-7

i would not be opposed to picking up a QB in 7 round or URFA to compete with mcgee and if he shows more, he stays
  3. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    :bow: totally agree buddy, now is the time to groom one,
    this will probably be Kitna's last year

how much longer do you see romo playing? and healthy, think about it, has been injured now, in 08 and 10

got to develop another behind McGee just in case
    just like Wade wilson, said, first year, rookie qb is just there, then you generally dont see improvement til his 3rd year

romo was here in 2003, was mid 2006 before he basically did anything, takes about 3 years to develop a qb
  4. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,812 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    The reason is all these QB's have potential to be franchise type guys, they all just are missing parts of their game. You can place that in, and they are franchise qbs, McGee is missing quite a bit still.
  5. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    We already have one....Stephen McGee
  6. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like what McGee showed honestly...
  7. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,397 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    expect a UDFA type to come in....using a draft pick on a QB this year is not a luxury we have unless JJ goes out and gets a few FAs like say a OL and a DB...then MAYBE we have the luxury of using a late round pick on a QB....but until then....not seeing it....and that's not to mention how awful this year's QB draft is...
  8. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,204 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    Dallas isn't carrying 4 QBs this year.
  9. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received

:hammer:

couldnt disagree more with the OP sorry no offense just my opinion. Romo has at least 4-5 more years playing at a elite level IMO he's a young 30 remember lets just work on beefing up the protection and keep him safer in the pocket. we have to many immediate needs to waste yes waste a pick on a developmental qb IMO Now if your talking 7th round or UFDA sure why not. 2 guys that got a little love late last year Matt Flynn and Brian Hoyer were 7th round and UFDA's respectfully. And we all know Romo's path .
  10. fishspill

fishspill Active Member

937 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    I wouldn't mind a late pick. McGee just hasn't impressed me on the field one bit.