1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

This last month is going to get oogly...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Heisenberg, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,044 Messages
    306 Likes Received
  2. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,044 Messages
    306 Likes Received
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/6041101.html

Obama's allies warn GOP, McCain to back off attacks

ASHEVILLE, N.C. — Barack Obama's allies warn that John McCain's attacks on the Democrat's character will lead to the political equivalent of mutual assured destruction: fire your big weapon at your own peril.

Several Obama surrogates said his supporters may start reminding voters of McCain's ties to Charles Keating, a convicted savings and loan owner whose actions two decades ago triggered a Senate ethics investigation that involved McCain as one of the "Keating Five."

The warnings of massive retaliation came as McCain's running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, took on the role of attacker and said that Obama sees America as so imperfect "that he's palling around with terrorists who would target their own country." She was referring to an early Obama supporter, 1960s radical Bill Ayers, a founder of the Weather Underground whose members were blamed for several bombings when Obama was a child.

Obama has denounced Ayer's radical views and activities. But he's not above questioning McCain's character with loaded words.

On Sunday Obama unveiled a TV ad on the economy that paints McCain was "erratic in a crisis" — a not-subtle suggestion that McCain's age, 72, might be an issue.

Democrats were well-synchronized Sunday, using the word "erratic" and Keating's name in nearly-matching sentences across the talk show circuit.

"This is going to be a month, I think, of character assassination," Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., an Obama supporter, said on CBS's "Face the Nation."

Indeed, McCain adviser Greg Strimple predicted in "a very aggressive last 30 days" of the campaign.

"We are looking forward to turning a page on this financial crisis and getting back to discussing Mr. Obama's aggressively liberal record and how he will be too risky for Americans," he said in a recent conference call with reporters.

Obama, too alluded to harsher tactics in a speech Sunday to thousands of people in Asheville, N.C.

McCain and his aides, Obama said, "are gambling that he can distract you with smears rather than talk to you about substance. They'd rather try to tear our campaign down than lift this country up. It's what you do when you're out of touch, out of ideas, and running out of time."

Noting the nation's serious economic problems, Obama said: "Yet instead of addressing these crises, Senator McCain's campaign has announced that they plan to turn the page on the discussion about our economy and spend the final weeks of this campaign launching Swiftboat-style attacks on me."

Obama has denounced Ayers' radical views and activities. However, Ayers hosted a small gathering for Obama in 1995, early in his political career. Obama and Ayers live in the same Chicago neighborhood and served on a charity board together, but there is no evidence they have palled around.

Rep. Rahm Emanuel, a Chicago Democrat and Obama supporter, warned against McCain's strategy.

"If we are going to go down this road, you know, Barack Obama was eight years old, somehow responsible for Bill Ayers," he said. "At 58, John McCain was associating with Charles Keating."

"If we really want to talk who is associating with who, we will," Emanuel said. "The American people will lose in that transaction."

Just months into his Senate career, in the late 1980s, McCain made what he has called "the worst mistake of my life." He participated in two meetings with banking regulators on behalf of Keating, a friend, campaign contributor and S&L financier who was later convicted of securities fraud.

The Senate ethics committee investigated five senators' relationships with Keating. It cited McCain for a lesser role than the others, but faulted his "poor judgment."

In the new Obama ad, an announcer says: "Our financial system in turmoil. And John McCain? Erratic in a crisis. Out of touch on the economy."

The ad, slated to start running Monday on national cable, alludes to McCain's response to the nation's financial crisis. He briefly suspended his campaign, called for a White House summit meeting that ended chaotically, and showed varying degrees of support for the massive rescue bill Congress passed Friday.

Republicans say McCain's actions showed leadership.

"In the midst of it all, I think you saw Sen. McCain, unlike Sen. Obama, come off the campaign trail, because that's John McCain in the middle of a crisis," said Sen. Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut, an independent-Democrat who backs McCain.
  3. MilesAustinforMVP

MilesAustinforMVP Benched

782 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I really like how the Obama campaign is operating: the moment they get a whiff of an attack from the other side, they hit them back hard.

This draws a stark contrast from the Kerry campaign who just ignored the swift boaters.
  4. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,235 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    Kerry didn't ignore them he tried fighting back with the Swifties for Kerry thing. Kerry lost because he waffled more than a Denny's on sunday morning.
  5. irvin88

irvin88 Active Member

1,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jeremiah Wright:bow: :bow: :bow:
  6. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,044 Messages
    306 Likes Received
    Now that's funny right there. :lmao2:

The surfing commercial immediately comes to mind.
  7. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,482 Messages
    2,899 Likes Received
    If McCain does this, the media will tear him and his campaign to shreds.

Going racial will be the equivalent of nuclear warfare.

You think Obama and his supporters in the media are going to just sit back and take it? Obama will flood the airwaves with so much Keating 5 stuff and the networks (which lean Obama anyways) will be more than happy to help out.

Bill Clinton tried to go racial in South Carolina and Obama and the media tore him to shreds, he even had to start doing national interviews and telling people that he is no racist.

If the Dems and the networks attacked one of their own for going racial, what do you think they will do to McCain and Palin???
  8. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,044 Messages
    306 Likes Received
    Speaking of Wright, from the stories I've read, McCain won't be going there. Supposedly he's told his campaign that it's off limits.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if they do it anyway.
  9. Wheat

Wheat Philosopher

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    McCain is smart enough to know that a topic like the Keating situation that is directly politically related....and related to the economy would make a Wright attack look like a punch drunk boxer swinging at everything.

McCain needs the topic to NOT be the economy......but needs to shift it without appearing to be "avoiding" it.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,260 Messages
    4,584 Likes Received
    I think one of his advisors has already been on record as saying they are trying to go away from the Economy issue, you know the issue everyone is worried about, and wants to shift it to something else like attacking Obama.

Not the brightest thing to say in an interview and IMO only helps Obama.
  11. Wheat

Wheat Philosopher

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Right to ADMIT that they are doing that is saying they know they aren't on the right side of the issues anymore.

That plastic surgery spokeswomen for his Campaign was on this morning. She just kept saying that what's important is who you are associated with. Anytime they asked an issue question, she wouldn't get specific.

It could get ugly.....and I don't mean her stretched out face.
  12. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
  13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,524 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    McCain and his aides, Obama said, "are gambling that he can distract you with smears rather than talk to you about substance. They'd rather try to tear our campaign down than lift this country up. It's what you do when you're out of touch, out of ideas, and running out of time."

So true.
  14. canters

canters Active Member

1,797 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Sadly, all Barrry needs to do is play defense,,,,,run out the clock. He has benefited from the a mess that his party helped create and as a result he is on the goal line ready to score for the last time. I would ignore McCain,,,,I don't think it will matter. I thought Palin might have helped some after the deate, but I see no bounce for him in the polls.

I am afraid it is over. He will not go to the Rev J Wright issue, although I think it is a valid issue. I bet he tells Palin to cool it about this issue too.
  15. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,941 Messages
    356 Likes Received
  16. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,524 Messages
    182 Likes Received