1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

'Three Stooges' coming together at MGM

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 25, 2009.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,064 Messages
    5,567 Likes Received
    Wed Mar 25, 2009, 02:54 PM ET Source: Hollywood Reporter

[IMG] (WireImage.com/Sony Pictures)

Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk.

MGM and the Farrelly brothers are finally slapping together their high-profile cast for "The Three Stooges," a comedy project the filmmakers have been developing for years. Sean Penn is set to play Larry, and Jim Carrey is in negotiations to play Curly. Benicio del Toro is a rumored possibility for the brothers' taciturn leader, Moe.

The studio is looking to start production in the fall for a 2010 release slot.

The project was originally set up at Columbia, which produced the 1930s Stooges shorts. C3 Entertainment Inc., which holds the licensing rights to the Stooges brand, then sold the feature rights to Warner Bros. in 2001 for the Farrellys to write and produce the movie. Eventually, Warner Bros. let the rights lapse and MGM's Mary Parent scooped them up along with the Farrellys' continuing participation.

Peter and Bobby Farrelly wrote the script, which Bobby has referenced as "Dumb, Dumber & Dumbest," and will produce with Bradley Thomas and Charlie Wessler. Earl and Robert Benjamin of C3 will executive produce.

The film is not a biopic but a fictional treatment that maintains the Stooges' gleeful slap schtick updated for a modern milieu.

Originally constructed as four separate shorts, the feature screenplay has since been streamlined into a single narrative. Included in the story line is an opening that shows the Stooges as kids in an orphanage, a device that will require some "Benjamin Button"-style visual trickery to place the adult actors' heads on child actors' bodies.

The Stooges maintain remarkably global brand recognition, and their shorts, films and cartoons are still broadcast in 30 countries. The Farrelly brothers' latest comedy "The Heartbreak Kid" grossed $124 million worldwide.
    Penn is repped by CAA, Carrey by CAA and the Miller Co.

http://indiefilm.movies.yahoo.com/article-9-/
  2. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,588 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    out of those three, jim carrey is the only one who i think is perfect for this movie. the other two i'm not sure about.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,871 Messages
    1,762 Likes Received
    This has 'disaster' written all over it.
  4. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    No kidding

Benico can hardly speak English and Sean Penn???? Yeah ok

I'll pass
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,133 Messages
    4,330 Likes Received
    The mrs. and I will pass because we don't go out to see many movies. But this is one will will walk right on by at the movie rental also.
  6. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,856 Messages
    694 Likes Received
    Meh... looks like they are going for a more visual match than anything else.

Larry was the whiney biznitch - perfect for Sean Penn.

Moe and DelToro - just looks like they could match them up.

Jim Carrey is the only true comedic genius in there... and at that... capturing or reimagining Curly will be a impossible.

Once the 3 Stooges did a movie or did anything in color years later - it flat out stunk.
  7. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Reminds me of The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle. What a dog that one was.

[IMG]
  8. RESIN8

RESIN8 New Member

950 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wasn't aware that they were making a Three Stooges movie.

McCarthy Worries About Gaining Stooges Weight

Jenny McCarthy fears boyfriend Jim Carrey's bid to become chubby Three Stooges character Curly will set her off on a doughnut diet.
    The actress/model has confirmed Carrey is preparing to get "in shape" to play the larger-than-life Stooge, opposite Sean Penn and Benicio del Toro, and he has warned his toned girlfriend to be prepared to date a bigger Jim.
    She says, "He said, 'You know, I'm going to have to gain 40 to 50 pounds for this role.'"
    But McCarthy is thrilled: "I said, 'Oh my God! I get to be dating Curly! That is the greatest thing ever.'"
    The actress is only worried that she might join Carrey on his binges.
    She tells news show Access Hollywood, "I hope I don't have sympathy weight -- he's going to be eating doughnuts."
  9. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I don't know how Jim Carrey does it, McCartney is hawt
  10. the kid 05

the kid 05 Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds

9,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    must be a call girl. he cant' act. he isn't funny.
  11. Signals

Signals Suspicious looking stranger

4,588 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    :lmao2: This is insane!
  12. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,588 Messages
    124 Likes Received
  13. needforspeed

needforspeed Legend in my spare time

667 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sean Penn? meh, I'll pass.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,607 Messages
    1,563 Likes Received
    There are some things that you do not try to replicate and the Three Stooges are at the top of the list.
  15. AmarilloCowboyFan

AmarilloCowboyFan Active Member

2,405 Messages
    22 Likes Received

:hammer:

Jim Carrey would probably make a better Shemp.
  16. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,459 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    I can't remember liking a Jim Carey movie outside of the original Ace Ventura and Me, Myself and Irene. His shtick just grew old on me. But, as far as casting goes, he's about as spot on for Curly as you can get in this day and age.
  17. ROMOSAPIEN9

ROMOSAPIEN9 Proud Grandpa

2,250 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Am I the only one who liked Shemp better than Curly?