1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Tidbit from SIRIUS NFL radio on Ferguson

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Cowboy from New York, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Cowboy from New York

Cowboy from New York Active Member

1,649 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Pat Kerwin was doing his daily show and they were talking about the Jets and how the chiefs pounded them with the running game Kirwan said that he had talked to Jets MLBer Vilma who told him that Ferguson was the key to their run defense for 3 reasons.

1. He was the anchor against the run. (duh)

2. Ferguson was enough of a disruptive force inside that it kept interior o-lineman from getting out into the next level and getting to Vilma and the other LBers. (even more important for us with Nyguen inside)

3. Ferguson was the defesive leader in the locker room.

Hard to dismiss this stuff given how the Jets played this week and more importantly how they melted down and started arguing and punching each other. Now that he is starting to play now and hopefully is getting his stamina back Ferguson should start showing some of these traits. We'll need it to squash the skins one hope in this game, which would be a monster game from Portis.
  2. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

10,878 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Lets hope Portis meets RW early and often behind the line ehe?
  3. Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw Benched

5,451 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Did Fergy even play?

I never saw him though I'm sure he played.
    We did run alot of nickel packages so I'm pretty sure he wasn't in there on those.

He didn't have any tackles... even though his job is to be more of a plug than a tackler.
  4. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,441 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    He already has in my opinion. I can't say definitively but the run defense seemed to be much better once he was inserted. I will second what Vilma said. Even though he turned out to be a bust Willie Blade was a big reason we had a good defense BP's first year. I have seen numerous people say that w/o a solid nose tackle the rest of the defense is suspect. The examples are endless of teams that lost their nose tackle and their defense collasped. When the Ravens had their dominant defense they had the goose and sam adams to anchor it. I love all of our free agent signings but in my opinion he was our most important.
  5. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Chris Mortensen said the same thing during the offseason, that he (and according to him several NFL personnel people) said the Jets franchised the wrong DL (Abraham) and should have kept Ferguson instead

David
  6. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,987 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What I loved about Fergy this past weekend was who he played between.

Two rookies - Canty and Spears.

Bill can trust him to hold a three man line with two kids who have never seen live NFL action before. That means the kids get more time on the field because Ferg knows what he's doing.

BTW, what rotation was in on the last drive stop? I didn't notice.

Glover played very very well, but when Fergy is up to game speed, we'll see some plays out of him too.
  7. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,794 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    I didn't see the game, so I am struggling to find answers to what happened on Sunday. Seems like we didn't get much pressure on the QB unless we blitzed. Why? I am glad we stopped the run, but we need pressure. I heard Spears looked a little lost. Can someone sum up the individual performances along the defensive line during the game and any thoughts?
  8. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That is a great find and post. :bow:

Fergy seemed to fire up the defense when he was inserted.

It's only been one game but never before have all our Free agents made such an impact in one single game. Bledsoe run and head first dive in the 1st game of the season told me all I needed to know, Henry is a man, Glenn made the biggest play, Fergy held down the Dline and even though Rivera fatigued down the stretch there is no doubt in my minds that he was the claming influence that made the 6th RD rookie starting RT Petitti pass with flying colors.

Now if we can get Peerless Price on a deep post for a TD on Monday Night.............. :dance2:
  9. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  10. StateCollegeCowboy

StateCollegeCowboy aka BostonCowboy

375 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    SD played a lot of max protect in that game, with the RB staying in to block. There was a reason why LT did not see many passes go his way, because he was back trying to protect the QB.
  11. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,205 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    Yep, I read an article that said they could not release LT into the passing game cause they needed him on Protection. When you can demand the othe rteam keep the best RB (ok, one of the top 3 RB in the league today) from playing half his game, I say you did something wright.

Kudos to the boys for a well played game and for actually dictating to someone. They changed SD's game plan, No way in the world you game plan your best player with the ball, to be a blocker so your QB can stay upright. Thats pressure, even if we did not get there. We changed their game plan and won the game. Great game by the boys.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,199 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    I agree with those who say Ferguson made a big difference. I actually thought that Glover was ineffective early in the contest. San Diego has a massive OL and it seemed, to me, that Glover was getting handled up the middle. I thought Ferguson came in and really stabalized things. JMO.
  13. lkelly

lkelly Well-Known Member

1,965 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Wait, I thought Tomlinson ran wild on us all day because Ware doesn't know how to play?

That's what I understood from this board on Sunday night and Monday morning.
  14. Hollywood Henderson

Hollywood Henderson Benched

3,329 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree ABQ...
    I wonder how long it will be when Fergy takes over starting?
    Glover will be much more effective not starting...

Fergy looked a little heavy, lets hope he gets into prime playing shape ASAP!

For that matter, how long will it be before last games 2nd unit starts?
    Spears, Fergy & Canty?
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,199 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    Well, it's coming Hollywood. I think that you look at that situation and the three young guys have a lot of advantages. The biggest advantage the Vets have is experience but in a 3-4, even that is not as prevelant. It's the nature of the game. Ferguson is the only Vet amoung the DLs that offers something none of our young players have. Next draft, I expect to see us take a young NT that will start putting pressure on Ferguson as well.

Sucks to get old man.
    :lmao2:
  16. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Glover did have one hell of an important sack, though.