1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Tim Brown said Bill Callahan sabotaged the Raiders in the Super Bowl

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by BEMYDADJERRY, Jan 22, 2013.

1. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Tim Brown told this story to the ticket 3 or 4 years ago.

Now he tells espn 1033 and its a national story cause he is in Dallas.

funny stuff.

didn't matter to espn when he was in Nebraska or in ny with the jets.....
  2. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ritchie just said the game plan changed. he didnt claim callahan did it to sabotage the team and lose the superbowl on purpose.
  3. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    the best part was tim brown saying he had to restrain Charles woodson from kicking callahans rear end.
  4. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received

Yep, just another big ego athlete who can't admit he just got outplayed by better players on the other side.
  5. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,385 Messages
    4,339 Likes Received
    Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota
    Tim Brown on Ben and Skin: I don't understand why comments about Callahan are a big deal today b/c I've been saying same thing for long time

Tim Brown on Bill Callahan: "He is the smartest offensive guy I've ever been around."

Tim Brown: Biggest difference between Jerry Jones and Al Davis is that Al was involved in play-calling. I've never heard of Jerry doing that
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,557 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    Thats what you took from Ritchie's quote? Because I think it pretty much says the opposite.

The game plan might have changed, but that's a far cry from the absolutely infantile claim that the HC threw a Superbowl for his friend because he hated his own organization.

What probably happened is they changed the game plan mid-week when their probowl starting C when AWOL--as they probably should have--and that the reason for the change was never communicated properly to the team.

The rest of the speculation on Tim Brown's part is just stupidity as far as I'm concerned.
  7. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.........Gruden BRUTALIZED Callahan in that game, but on the field Rice,Barber,Sapp,Brooks, etc...were a FAR superior team...not even close. Brown is a complete idiot:rolleyes:
  8. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,322 Messages
    627 Likes Received
    Basically said he tanked the Super Bowl with the Raiders because Gruden was his buddy and didn't like the way things went down in Oakland. Brown said they changed from a run heavy gameplan, they outweighed TB across the front 340lbs to 280lbs, to an all pass attack on Friday before the game. Brown suggests this is what sent Barrett Robbins over the edge. Other Raiders are already defending Callahan, but it's an interesting take from a former player.
  9. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    One of the comments to that article is awesome...lol.

"they must of changed the calls on defense because they GAVE UP 48 points!"
  10. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,033 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    Wow... Tim Brown you are REALLY REACHING on this one buddy.
  11. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,357 Messages
    519 Likes Received
    The defense didn't give up 48 points that day. There were 3 pick sixes the Bucs defense got that day. This is when Oakland got behind 27-3 and had to throw the ball to get back in the game. I just chalk it up as poor execution by the Raiders but the Bucs who had the number 1 defense and Gruden who knew the Raiders and Callahan inside and out.
  12. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,760 Messages
    929 Likes Received
    Robbins didn't go AWOL until the day before the Superbowl. One of the things that I heard on ESPN this morning was that Tim Brown said that Callahan changed the game plan on Friday. Brown also implied that this last minute change put pressure on Barrett Robbins essentially causing his mental break.

It all sounds too ridiculous to believe. The thing that we do know is that Callahan is not a good head coach. He is better as an OC.

Edit:
    I don't really think the initial game plan was to run the ball a lot anyway. The Raiders ranked 23rd in rushing attempts that season. They weren't a running team even though they had a big offensive line.
  13. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Thanks for the clarification. I don't remember that game much.
  14. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,435 Messages
    936 Likes Received
    The Raiders rushed 11 times for 19 yards, 1.7 average per carry. They couldn't even run in that game. Now with Robbins going AWOL that certainly affected their ability to run. But I would have to hear Robbins reasons for having his issues.
  15. joseephuss

20,760 Messages
    929 Likes Received
    His reasons were he was Bipolar and up until that Superbowl incident had not been properly diagnosed as having that disorder. He also, by his own admission abused alcohol, marijuana, cocaine and steroids in those days.
  16. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,878 Messages
    2,118 Likes Received
    The day before Super Bowl XXXVII something rather surprising happened. Oakland Raiders head coach Bill Callahan sent star centre Barrett Robbins home after he went AWOL. Reports indicated that Robbins had ventured south to Tijuana, Mexico for some binge-drinking, but the reality was that he was suffering from depression and bi-polar disorder. Without Robbins snapping the ball, the Raiders fell to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 48-21.

http://sports.ca.msn.com/nfl/photos/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=23395656&page=6
  17. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,846 Messages
    1,446 Likes Received
    Jerry Rice just said live on ESPN 2 minutes ago that he believes Callahan tried to sabotage the Super Bowl. Is Jerry Rice a tool too?
  18. joseephuss

20,760 Messages
    929 Likes Received
    Sure he is a tool, he was a 49er. :D

He doesn't have to be a tool to be wrong. I would say Callahan hurt the Raiders chances of winning the Superbowl, but that is much different than saying he sabotaged their chances of winning.
  19. lurkercowboy

lurkercowboy Active Member

4,029 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    It is possible. What exactly did Rice say?
  20. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,987 Messages
    1,651 Likes Received
    Sounds to me like a TO style mutiny against the HC.

Brown and Rice were mad because he treated them like guys at the end of their careers and approached the job like they needed to be replaced. They did.