1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

TLH:Who Will Replace Laurent Robinson? (good breakdown on 3 young wrs)

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Apr 25, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Who Will Replace Laurent Robinson?

http://sportdfw.com/2012/03/16/now-that-laurent-robinson-is-a-jaguar-which-wr-will-fill-the-void/
    Mar 16th, 2012 at 7:05 am by C. Joseph Wright2012 NFL Draft
    Home » 2012 NFL Draft » Who Will Replace Laurent Robinson?
    The Dallas Cowboys’ offense lost a key contributor to the Jacksonville Jaguars. Laurent Robinson led all Dallas receivers with 11 TD’s last season. More importantly, there were times when QB Tony Romo looked more comfortable with the 3rd WR (Robsinson) than either Miles Austin or Dez Bryant.

Robsinson signed a 5 year, 32.5 million dollar contract with the Jaguars. Not surprisingly, the Cowboys were not interested in paying that much for a receiver who would only be #3 on the depth chart.

The Cowboys have been looking for a reliable 3rd wide-out for several years. Now that Robinson is gone, that search will continue.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,773 Messages
    4,331 Likes Received
    FYI - Teddy Williams moved back to CB (#20).
  3. DEZBRYANT x88x

DEZBRYANT x88x Caps8Cowboys41

2,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As much as I "want" to believe Jerry about Holmes....I say still draft a slot receiver... Please take Broyles!
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,698 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    Holmes isn't a slot receiver anyway, and neither is Radway.
  5. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,831 Messages
    336 Likes Received
    a year from now we'll be sitting here saying what a bad idea this was if this is really what we plan on going into the season with
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,235 Messages
    2,322 Likes Received
    I would like to draft a WR mid part of the draft and along with the current young WR on the roster have guys compete. I have no pet cat in this competition who ever can produce is the guy I want out there.
  7. Doomsday101

76,235 Messages
    2,322 Likes Received
    True but in some situation even with Robinson, Miles would line up in the slot in 3 WR formation
  8. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    The production will (hopefully) be replaced by a fully healthy Miles Austin having a rebound year, Dez continuing to progress and Jason Witten still maintaining his level of play. My question is who replaces Miles or Dez if/when they get hurt. Is Broyles ready to step in as a starting outside WR as a rookie?
  9. Doomsday101

76,235 Messages
    2,322 Likes Received
    Chances are Broyles would not be ready to take over a starting job. As a role player coming in as a slot guy sure. I don't think you will find any rookie WR outside of the 1st or 2nd rd who can come in and start. If Miles or Dez go down for any lenght of time I think it will be a problem. Dallas would likely use WR by committee until Dez of Miles could return to the lineup.
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,244 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    They supposedly like all the slot guys, Broyles, Adams, Hilton.
  11. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,642 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I hope they draft a WR, but I also hope the young guys on the roster develop as well. Harris is a guy with slot potential, it all just depends on how much they work to get better. I wouldn't want to go into the season with only Miles/Dez as known quantities at WR though, because that would mean we didn't draft any WRs at all.

Who knows what'll happen in TC, but I don't like the idea of going into July without at least one guy you trust to start when and if one of the first two guys goes down.
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,698 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    I hear you and would be fine with drafting a WR.
    But it's good to remember that even if they (we) draft a guy, they still have the exact same level of known WRs. The rookies are no more known than the 3 guys listed in the article, maybe less.
  13. DEZBRYANT x88x

DEZBRYANT x88x Caps8Cowboys41

2,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh I know this. But still I think our WR priority should draft a Hitlon,Adams or Broyles type.
  14. Doomsday101

76,235 Messages
    2,322 Likes Received
    Unless the Cowboys get a vet WR we will be going with an unknown. Like you I hope the young WR develop but until they prove it is an unknown. Same with a rookie draft pick.
  15. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    All the Spagnola types keep saying they like Miles in the slot, but the problem is Miles is usually the one who is hurt. Assuming Holmes and Radway develop, that means you may be playing your 4/5th receiver Harris or be forced to keep an Ogletree type guy.
  16. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,215 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    I would like to draft a slot speed receiver... BUT I would also like us to pick up a veteran wr as well. We have 2 proven receivers, and their recent injury history concerns me.
  17. Doomsday101

76,235 Messages
    2,322 Likes Received
    If Miles get hurt then you will be forced to go with one of the younger guys. I don't know what to tell you. Unless the Cowboys go after a vet WR which I doubt. I would think if we do have an injury with either Dez or Miles then Cowboys may have to lean more on the running game.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,584 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    I don't know about you guys but I like Chris Owusu WR/KR Stanford. No injuries and this kid is being discussed much, much higher in this draft. Ran a low 40 of 4.28, 3Cone 6.85, Broad of 9.09 , 20 Shuttle of 4.11 and Vert of 40.5. These are better then any of the top WRs and he's 6'0 195 lbs.

The problem with Owusu is his history of Concussions. He is a guy who I believe has superior skills and intelligence for the position. There is nothing not to like about this kid, other then his history of injury. He is also an excellent kick returner.

Here are his numbers while at Stanford as a kick returner.

Fresh -14 Returns, 326 Yards, 23.3 Yard Average.
    Soph - 37 Returns, 1167 Yards, 31.5 Yard Average, 3 TDs
    Jr. - 19 Returns, 462 Yards, 24.3 Yard Average.
    Sr. - 8 Returns, 177 Yards, 22.1 Yard Average.

I see this kid as the perfect developmental WR. If we can get him a year or so to just heal up, I think we could see a pretty decent return on investment. I really like this kid.
  19. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,584 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    I'm also hearing the name Danny Coales WR Virgina Tech. Very productive college player. He ran a slow 40 but if you look at his times, he had a very slow second 40 time at 4.59 but he also had a very fast 1st time at 4.39

He's interesting.