1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

? to any one who served our country

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by the kid 05, Dec 4, 2008.

1. the kid 05

the kid 05 Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds

9,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I've been thinking about joining either the Army or Marines. I could pass the physical tests with no problem, but I've been told due to me having 2 knee surgery's (both to repair a torn meniscus ((finally held down with pins))) I would not be able to enlist, is this true?

thanks

Tim
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,953 Messages
    4,302 Likes Received
    I would imagine at one time that would stop you in your tracks. When I enlisted it was me, my cousin and two other buddies that were going at the same time. My one buddy got rejected after the physical when he came clean. He was a wrestler in HS and every season his wrestling season would end with a dislocated shoulder. For whatever reason he was prone to them and when he came clean about it they rejected him. Now this was back in 1988 and they could be a little more picky about who they let in.

Now today they are trying to get many for obvious reasons. They have lowered some standards and have did other things in order to get more new recruits. So it could be possible for you to enlist due to those reasons. However my gut feeling is if you have had since you have had not one but two knee surgeries already, chances are you might not get through. You also need to be very upfront if you go into try to enlist. You could get in trouble for with holding medical history like that.

You have to realize that they spend a great deal of time and MONEY to house, feed, equip and train soldiers not only in basic training (boot camp) but also the individual schooling after basic training. Plus they pay your travel to get to basic training, your schooling and your duty station after that.

So there is a great deal of money and time for each individual soldier so they have a lot invested in each person. They would not want to take a chance on paying so much only for you to get a medical discharge.

Now you can always go and tell your recruiter of the service you decide. I suggest trying to find the best training you can get, by that if you want medical training get the best TYPE of training (x-ray tech, physical therapy assistant, dental assistant) because if you just say medical field they will put you in a basic medic training job and you will not have as many opportunities after you leave the military.

Anyways once you get the best job, or duty station you want and you have told your Recruiter your condition and they still may say give it a go.

In that case you will go through some processing, the medical evaluation (and again make sure you tell everything) and that will be the final test to see if they will take you.

I don't think you will be able to enlist with your condition but stranger things have happened. We had a guy that had to quit basic training because he was going blind....so who knows.

Good luck if that is what you really want to do.:cool:

Edit: I moved this to the Political Zone because many regular posters there have served and you probably would get more responses.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,686 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    It will depend on the knee for sure. Do you have any lingering weakness or problems with it? If it is able to withstand basic training and the like and the doctor agrees they could very well take you in the Army. I have my doubts about the Marines.
  4. Route 66

Route 66 Active Member

3,309 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    It depends on who told you that you cannot enlist. Did the recruiters tell you this or someone from MEPS?
  5. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,281 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    You might as well try to see if they let you. I had surgery on both shoulder and my right knee. I enlisted in 1997 and i had to just get a waiver to enlist. Basically I gave them my medical records, they reviewed them, then sent me to another doctor to make sure the joints were stable then I got my waiver. Funny thinig was, it took me an extra 2 months to enlist because I had high blood pressure and I had to get a waiver for that as well.

Most likely they will allow you to enlist, however they will not allow you to enlist in any line positions. They may allow you to enlist in combat support or combat service support type MOS's. Make sure you pick a job that you can do once you get out, it really helps. I suggest the intelligence jobs as there are far more jobs than people and we make a nice bit of cash as civilians. A TS clearence is worth it!
  6. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong Zone Supporter

8,481 Messages
    577 Likes Received
    Different era, but I went through the entire process back in 1991, took the tests, etc. and was told I could not join up due to my asthma (at the time, I was on daily medication) and my buddy was rejected because of an ankle injury. Asthma never stopped me from playing football, basketball or running Cross Country in High School, and I smoked all of their tests, but they ended up redflagging me on it. It sucked at the time because I was pretty gung-ho about joining, but everything happens for a reason.

I hear that they've changed regs a lot since then, so I hope you are eligible. I ended up with a lucrative career as a "Before Model", so don't shed tears for me!
  7. jwhardin

jwhardin Member

412 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I retired in 1982, so things change from time to time depending on the need for manpower. It can also depend on what MOS (job specialty)you want when you enlist. The Army has a physical code called PUSHES, each letter represents an area of the body and each letter gets numerical code under it rating the fitnness of that area of the body. A 1 is the highest, followed by 2, etc. You can apply for a waiver if you have less than 1 or rating for any part of the PUSHES. My ex son in law enlisted for theInfantry he had a code of 111311, he could have got a waiver for a 2 but not for a 3 to be in the Infantry. He could have been a Truck Driver with a 3. I hope I haven't messed up your mind, but the best thing would be to talk with a recruiter. Just remember, don't take their promises for anything, make them put it in writing in the enlistment contract. By the way the code 3 was for hearing.
  8. WarC

WarC Active Member

1,521 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I went through MEPS just this past October.

They will definitely ask you about your surgeries and you need to be straight forward and honest about it because it'll come up time and time again and they will nail you for being dishonest about it - Trust me.

That said, during MEPS they will give you a pretty long physical during which you will be asked to perform various goofy-looking exercises to determine how flexible you are - Thats where you will pass or fail. As long as you can do these exercises on your surgically repaired knees, you should be fine...You should be able to pass.

Some of the exercises they have you do include things like dropping down onto both your knees, walking forward while on your knees, doing a squating duck walk, lifting and twisting your ankles and legs, and kicking back as if jump-starting a motorcycle or driving a shovel into the ground. Civilian physicians will be monitoring your movements and looking to see if you have trouble performing the exercises.

Keep in mind that if you fail at your first MEPS, you can always try again - And you can also apply for a waiver from your selected branch of service.

BTW, thank you for even thinking about going through with it. It's a big decision and to even consider it is the mark of a true patriot.
  9. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    lol @ whoever moved this to the political zone.
  10. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,206 Messages
    5,768 Likes Received
    ;)...
  11. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,953 Messages
    4,302 Likes Received
    Thanks for having my back...the shoulder massage and that thing with the feathers.

<watches as BBgun gets jealous and WG does an exorcists projective against her screen>

:p:
  12. Route 66

Route 66 Active Member

3,309 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I think that I heard that the massage was actually a Dustbuster and the feathers thing was a feather duster. Your long hair needs to be washed and the dust mites emptied. With long hair comes responsibility.
  13. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Talk to a recruiter, MEPS will ultimately give you the thumbs up or down.

It sounds to me that you will likely not fulfill a combat role if that was your desire, the Army has far more diverse field of Occupations to choose from than the Marines.

You could do Special Ops at an intellectual level such as Civil Affairs and not be put through the physical rigors of Special Forces and Psyops, although you may be required to become Airborne certified which can be tough on the ankles and knees.

You could become a paralegal, work with the JAG corp and get a foot up on law school experience, great resume builder.

Quartermaster is always necessary, not glamorous but vital and you will most certainly be deployed if you picked it.

Human Intel Analyst is mentally rigorous and requires top secret clearance as do the special op position I mentioned, so long as your record is clean the FBI won't deny you when they do your background check on behalf of the Army.

Military police is another route, though it is physically demanding.

I am not as educated on opportunities within the Marines but I know their diversity in job skills is less.
  14. the kid 05

the kid 05 Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds

9,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    no problems what so ever. Damn the Marines seemed like a better fit

I haven't talked to a recruiter since high school (didn't inform him of my knee). It was my grandpa who told me, whom served in the end of the war in nam
  15. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,434 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    I always figured if I were drafted, I would want to be one of those guys who stands in a bunker with a headset on, cigarette in my mouth, pushing fake boats over an ocean, no combat stuff for me ;)
  16. Route 66

Route 66 Active Member

3,309 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    That's what bath time is for.
  17. Aikbach

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Well, we only get like 5 minutes to completely shower from head to toe in training.
  18. Route 66

Route 66 Active Member

3,309 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    They gave you showers? :eek:

j/k
  19. Aikbach

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Its the government Rowdy, they don't want you to do anything independent, lord knows they know how to bathe us better than we would ourselves.;):D
  20. xWraithx

xWraithx Benched

3,449 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I doubt 2 knee surgeries would make you ineligible to serve. I mean just in my city alone, there are TONS of restaurants that are hiring servers right now out of need