1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

TO Still Doesn't Get It... Says DeSean Jackson Should Hold Out

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Hostile, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,870 Messages
    2,647 Likes Received
    Saying crap like this isn't going to open doors for you TO. It's going to close them. It doesn't even matter if your advice is sound, shut the hell up.

Terrell Owens Says DeSean Jackson Shouldn’t Play Sunday

9/6/2011 7:31:02 PM

Terrell Owens was a guest on 97.5 The Fanatic Tuesday afternoon by way of Tim McManus of Phillysportsdaily.com. He was asked if he would take the field Week 1 against the Rams without a new contract if he were in DeSean Jackson’s shoes.

“Absolutely not,” Owens replied. “I would have to better myself and my family and my situation. That’s ridiculous.”

Jackson is in the final year of his rookie contract that will pay him $600,000. There are no signs of a deal being imminent. Jackson is heading into the regular season with an insurance policy and the hopes that something will get worked out.

Owens said that Jackson has obviously received advice “to go in there, be a man about it and play under the existing contract that he has,” adding, “but I guarantee you — if he goes out and gets hurt, God forbid, he’s not going to get the contract that he probably would have gotten if he held out.”
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,126 Messages
    6,933 Likes Received
    TO's an idiot. That's never going to change.

If I'm Jackson, I let my agent know PHI needs to get me a new contract by week 4 if they want a shot at me in FA, and I go out and play my heart out. After the season, I'd take the best offer from one of the 31 other teams and not look back. Take out a one year insurance policy against injury, and not look back.
  3. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,403 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    In this situation TO is right.
  4. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,204 Messages
    96 Likes Received
    They are $2M under the cap. They would have to "make room" somehow to fit anything decent in. The prorated signing bonus cap charge for this year alone would surely be larger than $2M.

I gotta say though. The Eagles were WAY under the cap and instead of trying to take care of him, they broke the bank signing FAs and then signed Vick to an absolutely ignorant contract. If I were him, I would be pretty upset about it too. Upset enough that there damn sure wouldn't be a home town discount come next offseason and if another good team with a good QB wanted me, it would be infinitely more expensive for the Eagles to keep me. I would consider it "back pay".
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,126 Messages
    6,933 Likes Received
    Then they make room. It's not like they didn't just spend a fortune in FA this offseason. Or they hand over some of the $2M this year in good faith in order to stay in the bidding for next season. Desean Jackson is going to get his contract, one way or another. He's got the leverage if he's patient, and he doesn't need to be a punk to take advantage of it.
  6. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    TO should shut up because he's TO and as a free agent he does not need to take any owner to task. That being said, he is 100% correct.

Plithy paid, Nnamdi (big money), Jenkins (good money), Babin (good money), and gave Vic a new deal (crazy money). Yet, DJax is the only player of that group that has helped the team win games over the past 3 seasons. In my mind, you have to reward your guys (that are significant contributors) before you reward outside guys. Based on the contract structure, Maclin (1st round draft pick) is making more than Desean. That's crazy. Vic will make more in one game than Jax will make this season. I don't really care for Jax, because he talks too much, but the guy is a heck of a player. He for sure has outperformed his rookie contract. In fact, it could be argued that Philty should have ripped his rookie contract after his first season.

Without Djax, their offense is not scary.
  7. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,204 Messages
    96 Likes Received
    I have no problem with Jackson getting pissed off and going to a different division. :laugh2:

...though the Redskins would probably cut Moss and sign him as a drop in replacement. (at a much higher cost of course)
  8. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,457 Messages
    2,849 Likes Received
    TO is right, I hate to say it.

And I agree with what Idg says about Jackson, minus the waiting until Week 4 part. I would have told them I want an offer by kickoff week 1. If not, I'll see you next time the Eagles play whoever I'm playing for next year.
  9. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,355 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    In this case he is right.

Eagles always skate by without paying full CAP.
    They are 2 mil under but Adam said there were 1 mil exemptions for the next few years you can charge off the CAP till a future time. So they have a lot of room to move about and do a deal.
  10. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,870 Messages
    2,647 Likes Received
    I am not saying he is wrong. I am saying he shouldn't burn more bridges. If I am the owners of the Dobermans and I am considering bringing him in and I see this, my mind is changed. He is still advocating disruption.

I absolutely think DeSean Jackson should hold out just like Emmitt did. But if I were going to say it at all it would be to him, and not to the media.
  11. celj1234

celj1234 Member

155 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    10 is going no where they can now just put the tag on him at the end of the year
  12. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,118 Messages
    321 Likes Received
    If he can't reach a deal with Philly, they'll franchise him. This D-Jax situation could get really ugly
  13. Sifillest

Sifillest Member

474 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    i actually completely agree. 650k is horrible.
  14. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

24,596 Messages
    959 Likes Received
    I was one of his biggest fans.

Looking back he did not do enough - he wasnt a gamechanger.
    Yes, helped but it was a FAIL.

With that said, he is right.
  15. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,012 Messages
    728 Likes Received
    I think if people signed a contract they should play through it.

If they play good they get rewarded with a better contract next time.
  16. ROUSH8692

ROUSH8692 Well-Known Member

1,229 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    ditto...

Desean deserves that paper. I cant stand the guy but he deserves to get paid.
  17. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I honestly think Maclin is a far better WR than DeSHAWN. :eek:
  18. hookemhorns72

hookemhorns72 Member

323 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I really want to believe that! But.......
  19. ROUSH8692

ROUSH8692 Well-Known Member

1,229 Messages
    68 Likes Received
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,103 Messages
    1,083 Likes Received
    I must not get it either, he's right.

No one is worried about TO holding out, so I don't see how this closes doors, except with the Eagles, which is a door that has been shut tight for some time now.

Maybe if you signed a contract with Cogswell Cogs or Spacley Sprockets. Sports are a completely different beast.