1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Today in Cowboys History

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Hostile, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,744 Messages
    2,420 Likes Received
    8/3/85...Roger "The Dodger" Staubach inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

[IMG]

The scene was Fawcett Stadium, halftime of the AFC-NFC Hall of Fame game on enshrinement day, August 3, 1985. Roger Staubach was the last of the new members to be introduced at midfield. But instead of the traditional wave to the crowd, Staubach wheeled and fired a football 50 yards to the goal line, where it was caught in full stride by the game's ball boy, who happened to be Andy Logan, a local high school player. On the sidelines, Roger had told Logan to run a "fly" pattern when he passed the ball.

Just as he had demonstrated many times during his career with the Dallas Cowboys, Staubach's strategy and his mechanics were perfect. And just like the thunderous ovations he often received at Texas Stadium, Staubach's final "touchdown pass" brought down the house.

While throwing a 50-yard bullseye in a suit coat and without warming up is no ordinary feat, Roger's ability to succeed at such an unlikely act, even in fun, should come as no surprise to those who followed his career closely.
  2. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    :bow:

He is the main reason I am a Cowboys fan
  3. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Roger is still my hero. He represents the best of what it means to be a Dallas Cowboy.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,095 Messages
    2,876 Likes Received
    I agree. It was a sad day when he retired because he had so much game left but because of concussions he called it quits.
  5. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,062 Messages
    113 Likes Received
    Living here in the middle of Giants, Jets and NE territory, there is one constant among all of the hatred for the Dallas Cowboys, respect for Roger.
  6. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,756 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    i was too little to remember roger.

danny white will always be my first QB and one of the reasons why 11 is my favorite number.
  7. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
  8. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,665 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    x2.... the first autographed photo I ever received was from Roger. He made a commercial for Carrier Air Conditioners that was filmed in Collierville TN. My dad had his picture made with him!!

I was in 77 or 78 when I was a young chap!:D
  9. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,232 Messages
    1,172 Likes Received
    So much left? He was 37 during his last season. That is old for a QB. I think he had a year or two left in him, but it was wise not to risk any more concussions. The sad part was that the team played so poorly in his last game hosting the Rams in the playoffs. They should have made another SB appearance that year.
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,095 Messages
    2,876 Likes Received
    He put up outstanding numbers in his last year with a QB rating of 92.3 which was the 3rd best season he had in Dallas and throwing 27 TD passes which was the most he had thrown in a season. Roger still had game left when he walked away and had he not had problems with the concussion he would not have walked away. I agree he did the right thing for himself and his family but Roger still had game left.
  11. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes, he's still the ideal. I received "Time Enough To Win" as a Christmas present in 1980, and read it voraciously. My only regret is that I didn't start following the game (and his career) sooner.
  12. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I copied his "jump pass" and used it in several games, I got to be pretty good with it too.