1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Today is World Autism Awareness Day

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    As someone who has had to deal with this disorder with my step son, I can tell you what a nightmare it is for families who encounter it. There is much more research needed to help find a cure for it but until then, there are some organizations that help with the occupational therapy for these people. If you have the opportunity to, please support these programs. They are vital to families who need the help.

http://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/waad
  2. suspenceman

suspenceman Jerry's kid

121 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As someone who works with the special needs community....I find it odd and a little hurtful that you are searching for a "cure". Your son is fine who he is. Rehab and therapy are great resources and can help an individual live an active life.

I say this will humility, I think you should reevaluate your stance on "finding a cure". Your kiddo is a gift from God, and you know that, but be careful with your words, please.
  3. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Oh please. "Working with" is not the same as "Living with". I'll choose the words I want and would like a cure. Maybe your ulterior motive is not losing your job if there was a cure.

I find it hypocritical that you use the avatar subtitle of "Jerry's Kid" if you are THAT sensitive.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,630 Messages
    2,012 Likes Received
    Having an Austisic child require unique patience.

Now I will rant some...

How many shots did you older guys get when you were a child.
    5-6 ..maybe?
    Now they get something like 35 vaccines for these tiny little babies.
    Furthemore, they have people getting nearly useless flu shots annually for their entire lives.

The preservatives in vaccines do not leave the body and the brain serves as the perfect parking place for them. Some of the doses of the vaccines are fit for a grown man, yet go to little babies. And the flu vaccines; well that multi billion dollar business is unimaginably corrupt.

There is a correllation that this impacts the youth with increased Autism and a correlation that this will impact people as they get older with Alzheimers and dementia.
  5. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,301 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    that is ridiculous, I hate Cajun but I know he loves his kid and I am sure he believes his kid's life will be better if his autism is cured which is obvious, if you don't have a disability, chances are your life is better in most cases

My dad lived his entire life with one hand and while he adapted, had a successful career and made a ton of coin, he would have done anything to have that hand.
  6. CanadianCowboysFan

15,301 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    Hardly. The shots do not cause autism, my son has had all his shots and he is not autistic and has no special needs, other than being a loud mouth only child who has a tremendous sense of entitlement like most children his age.

Even if there is a risk of autism from the vaccines, it is worth the risk to ensure no measles, mumps, flu, whooping cough etc
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,856 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    I heard somewhere that 1 in like 110 kids is now diagnosed with some form of autism. Crazy if true.

As far as looking for a cure, is this something that can be cured? I don't know much about the mechanics of autism, but I'd assume what they'd be looking for is research for the cause, treatment and prevention of autism.
  8. CanadianCowboysFan

15,301 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    I think the 1 in 110 is silly given the schools go overboard to find the diagnosis now as there is money available if there is a diagnosis.
  9. DFWJC

22,630 Messages
    2,012 Likes Received
    Good one.
    But,

Pointing out that your kid doesn't have it only means that I'm happy for you, notheing else. One kid does not make a sample, as you know. The odds of not having Autism are far greater under any circumstance.

But the rates are so much higher now than before, it's not even close--and that is excluding the better Autism testing factor.

We are not talking the basic vaccines here: measles, etc. We are talking 35 vaccines. I don't know if they do that in Canada. I know in Europe they do not...are fighting it tooth and nail to cut back further, as they strongly see a correlation. The big US pharma companies are outrageously corrupt.

In the states, we've now had about 5 strgiht years where the main flue vaccine used did not even cover the strang that occurred the msot frequently. It's a crapshoot and it's horrible for people.
  10. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Schools don't make diagnoses doctors do. And the thing today seems to be neurologists. They've broadened the term to include a spectrum in order to define all sorts of disabilities. My daughter is diagnosed as PDD, which is supposedly on the spectrum.

Regardless of what people are calling it, the amount of people I know 'on the spectrum' is absolutely ridiculous. As a kid there was one kid in the entire neighborhood who was '********', as it was simply called, now I can't turn my face without encountering couples with diagnosed kids.

As for the vaccines, like many an objection it has been thoroughly politicized and the chances of the average parent getting a straight answer are slim to none, so it's up to the individual to make a choice and no one else. I'd like to think there is a cure, and won't simply be accepting it as though it's part of a child's personality. It's not and living with such a child the thought of when my wife and I are dead is constant fear for us to deal with.
  11. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received

Well now my day is ruined.

:laugh2:
  12. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    As far as anyone knows, they at least can draw a conclusion that there is a chemical imbalance that causes it. That is why there are different levels of functionality with those afflicted.

The hope is to be able to regulate the chemicals but until they figure that out, some of it can be controlled with regulating the diet, which can cause chemical changes, lessening the effects of the Autism.

Certain food dyes are among those things that should be looked at.
  13. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,420 Messages
    2,123 Likes Received
    There was an article the other day I think it was worse than that.

http://www.wdio.com/article/stories/S2563622.shtml?cat=10349

I think a large part of it has to do with the broadening of the inclusion criteria for diagnosing.

I remember sum years back when I was a kid and first encountered an autistic child. Looking back it seems like it was either all or nothing at that time. This child had a bunch of the behavioral traits associated with autism.

She was flapping her hands, had very little vocal ability other than a couple of sounds, wouldn't make eye contact.

I think now that the diagnostic criteria is more sensitive to the signs that aren't so obvious you have a greater number of children who are being diagnosed.
  14. CanadianCowboysFan

15,301 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    doctors diagnose but usually it is at the behest of the schools who want the tots who don't want to sit in rows or who don't listen to be tested. Most parents don't stand up to the schools. Be particularly wary if your son is born late in the year as the schools always want to peg them as a behavioural problem when in reality they are just immature and young.
  15. CanadianCowboysFan

15,301 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    I do hate you and your holier than thou attitude but if you didn't try to be a smart *** you would have noticed I was defending you.
  16. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I did. I was just being non-holier than thou at the time and having some fun. Pull the stick out of your rear end.

:rolleyes:

Oh, and having a opinion contrary to your is "holier than thou"?

funny.
  17. CanadianCowboysFan

15,301 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    when you tell someone who doesn't want it that you will pray for him, then yes you are being holier than thou, but that is my last comment on that point
  18. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

Still praying.

:laugh2:
  19. DFWJC

22,630 Messages
    2,012 Likes Received
    You're an odd bird sometimes. I don't think you see hwat you just did right there.
    But it'd be a boring place if everyone thought alike, so keep on rollin'.
  20. CanadianCowboysFan

15,301 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    of course you think I was being holier than thou for saying he was