1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Todd Archer: Comparing DeMarco Murray, Julius Jones

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,980 Messages
    5,637 Likes Received
    By Todd Archer

IRVING, Texas -- In 2004, the Cowboys finished a disappointing 6-10, but many thought they had found the team’s next great running back in Julius Jones.

Jones missed most of the early part of the season with a broken shoulder but returned for the final seven games and took off. He finished with 803 yards on 192 carries. He had three straight games with at least 30 carries against Baltimore, Chicago and Seattle, displaying durability and toughness. He finished the year strong with 149 yards on 29 carries at the New York Giants.

In 2011, the Cowboys finished 8-8 but many believe the Cowboys have their next great running back in DeMarco Murray.

Before a fractured ankle ended his season in the first half against the New York Giants, Murray had a seven-game run that was similar to Jones’. From Oct. 23 vs. St. Louis through Dec. 4 at Arizona, Murray ran 134 times for 799 yards.

He set the franchise mark for rushing yards in a game with 253 against the Rams. He had two other games with more than 130 yards. He displayed toughness and durability in wins at Washington and against Miami.

In 2004, the average rank of the run defenses faced by Jones was 16.5. In 2011, the average rank of the run defenses faced by Murray was 16.5.

Spooky, no?

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4689412/comparing-demarco-murray-julius-jones
  2. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,479 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    There stats are similar but there playing style and passion are totally different. Demarco will show next year how different they are
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,095 Messages
    1,627 Likes Received
    All they have in common are they both are RB and both played for the Cowboys outside of that Murray shows better instinct and vision hitting the line of scrimmage and can grid out tough yards. Jones more of a speed back who was great running draws but not much in terms of making the tough yardage
  4. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,173 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Murray doesn't have Parcells around to turn him into "compu-back", so we're good.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,979 Messages
    1,707 Likes Received
    I may be wrong, but I've always considered the Oline to have been better during Julius' time here.
  6. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,632 Messages
    1,956 Likes Received
    Not spooky.
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,693 Messages
    1,141 Likes Received
    Julius is a better pure runner though. Parcells and MBIII ruined that guy.
    The month or so that Murray played well the OLine and Fiametta were playing great. Plus, he got to go against STL, BUF, SEA for his big games.

I wonder if this is going to be as violent a thread as the last one that compared the two :laugh2:
  8. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

14,603 Messages
    368 Likes Received
    The offensive line was so ecstatic to get past 'grass blade tripping' Hambrick that they would have blocked for a wheel barrel.
  9. batman36

batman36 Member

508 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That evokes memories of utter frustration, while at the same time causing laughter because of Hambricks ineptness. And it's funny, too!
  10. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Murray averaged 5.5 ypc

Jones 4.2
    in their rookie years.
    that is a huge difference
  11. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,281 Messages
    494 Likes Received
    Jones came from Notre Suck while Murray came from a top-flight D-1 college in Oklahoma. Not that I am a fan of the Sooners, but they are one of the better recruiting Universities in all of college football.
  12. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    that is very true. Okl has done very well sending out top NFL talent as of late .

ND. not so much