1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Tom Brady: Innocent Bystander or Guilty Accomplice?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by rexrobinson, Sep 13, 2007.

1. rexrobinson

rexrobinson Active Member

1,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Tom Brady: Innocent Bystander or Guilty Accomplice?

What do you guys think? Tom Brady had to know that his coaching staff was using information gained illegally according to NFL rules in my opinion. Tom Brady is the one who used the illegal information against the opponents. Should he be punished as well for being an accomplice in violating league rules by knowingly using illegally obtained information or is he considered a tool or implement of a grand scheme where Belicheck is solely responsible? In most cases knowingly using something illegal makes you guilty as the person who obtained it.

I am not 100% sure myself if Tom Brady should be punished. What is your opinion?
  2. rexrobinson

1,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just to add, I bet that the Commish asked what players knew about this and he jumped on the grenade to prevent collateral damage.

If this is the case I suppose there wouldn't be enough evidence to do much of anything to the players.

But I still think Brady should fry! LOL
  3. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,090 Messages
    1,281 Likes Received
    I'm sure when they radio'd into him that the opponent was running a cover 2, he ignored.
  4. rexrobinson

1,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    LOL, I am sure it played out like this,

BB: "Tom, we decrytped the first half signals, they are in a cover 2."

TB: "COACH BELICHECK! I refuse to engage in illegal activities with your contraband"

BB: "Tom, quit being a wuss and adjust your receivers routes already"

TB: "Cheating is not my style man, just ask my girlfriends!"
  5. Da Hammer

Da Hammer The Natural

10,604 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    there is no freakin doubt he knew!!! he better not even try to say he did not!
  6. rexrobinson

1,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh I am 100% sure he is knew about it and is guilty for using illegally obtained information (kind of like inside trading tips).

I just don't know if he should be punished for it. My Devil side says he needs to be fined and suspended 4 games, my angel side says Belicheck took the bullet for the team.

I dunno though, if your caught using insider information in the stock market you get in a heap of trouble and I see a parallel here.
  7. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Guilty accomplice!
  8. Cochese

Cochese Benched

7,360 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  9. rexrobinson

1,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Take em all down!
  10. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "I was just following orders."
  11. rexrobinson

1,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    lol I think thats the "Code Red Defense" used in "A Few Good Men"
  12. Cochese

Cochese Benched

7,360 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Its actually known as the Nuremburg defense.
  13. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    You can't convince me that anyone in the Pats organization was completely unaware of this situation. I bet the janitors were eavesdropping in the locker rooms.

Not to mention players, coaches, Kraft, Pioli, other front office types. It was an employee of their's operating the camera!!!
  14. rexrobinson

1,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think that is exactly why the punishment does not fit the crime. The draft pick could hurt, but they have two first round picks next year anyhow so its not like really getting killed by this as an organization.

The coach is getting a pretty harsh financial penalty but this really should of been a garrote of the organization for having such a cavalier attitude about cheating from top to bottom.

P.S. take away the janitors mops and give em toothbrushes.
  15. Rampage

Rampage Benched

24,117 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    he will be simpley just a dead qb after Anthony "the hitman" Spencer gets to him
  16. dallasfan

dallasfan New Member

978 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What was Brady supposed to do? I can fault Bellichick b/c if I were him, I wouldn't video tape hand signals. I can fault the assistant coaches because they Bellichick can't do this alone, he needs the asst. and play callers to be onboard.

I can't fault Brady though. If you O-coordinator tells you to adjust the protection cause a weak side blitz is coming, are you gonna ignore it? No cause it'll get you killed, and hurt the team.

IMO, Brady was kinda caught in a bind like Martha Stewart. If a friend tells you the stock is gonna crash tommorrow, are you leaving all your money in just to do the right thing? Ofcourse not.
  17. rexrobinson

1,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Very good point and thats why I am torn on if he should be punished or not.

My problem with this is using something illegal regardless if your the one who obtained it is still illegal. I think you lose all deniability when you have known about the process for years.
  18. dooomsday

dooomsday Member

886 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You want the truth? You can't handle the truth. You need Tom on that wall!

Hey, I wonder who syped on the opposing cheerleaders change room! I want that job!
  19. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,684 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Whether Brady was involved or not, you still have to wonder how good he is now. Most quarterbacks could also play extremely well when the coaching staff calls the right play to counter the defense. Brady might still be a top 10 quarterback, but I do not consider him elite any longer. He has to prove he can do it without the coaching staff cheating.
  20. rexrobinson

1,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    good stuff!