1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Tony Jefferson

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Verdict, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,415 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    I would target Tony Jefferson in the second round if he lasts that long. I doubt he would make it to our second round pick, but he would be a great value pick in the second round.
  2. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

3,817 Messages
    1,145 Likes Received
  3. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    I liked him the few games i watched this year.

But not overly impressed with that highlight video.

I would say 3rd round on Jefferson
  4. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,714 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    not the hitter that i like for a safety, but looks like a sure tackler. might be a great cover safety.
  5. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,843 Messages
    2,046 Likes Received
    What scares me is the school he plays at.

They always have a DB coming out that goes in this area of the draft and none of them ever amount to anything.

I'd pass until about the 5th round.
  6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,400 Messages
    1,671 Likes Received
    How he runs and performs at the combine will be very important for him. He could fall or rise quite a bit.
  7. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    He is a punk. I hope Dallas does not draft him. Maybe I'm still a little upset over how this kid acted while on a recruiting visit to UCLA. IMO what he did just a few short years ago shows a lot of immaturity and no class.
  8. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    An 18 year old kid? Immature? No way!
  9. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    The kid is a headcase plain and simple. Sure you could use his age as an excuse but there is plenty of kids that can handle the recruiting process with humility and professionalism.
  10. chuch

chuch Member

41 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think Jefferson is among the top 3 free safeties in the draft as far as play-making and versatility goes. He covers well and has better ball skills than nearly every other safety in this class. What he lacks in hitting power he makes up for in tackling technique, play recognition, and closing speed. If he were listed as 6'1 instead of 5'11, which will likely turn out to be a generous measurement, he would be getting much more first round recognition.
  11. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,400 Messages
    1,671 Likes Received
    What did he do? :laugh2:
  12. Verdict

3,415 Messages
    155 Likes Received

Although I am an Oklahoma fan, I try to be pretty objective about all players regardless of where they play. I was never high on guys like Derrick Strait, who was a first round pick. I'm not really sold on Landry Jones who may be a first round pick this year. I think he is probably an NFL quality player but I look at him as a career backup QB that can come in and win a few games for you but I'm not sold on him as a franchise QB largely because of his decision making skills.

I personally think Jefferson will be a very good college safety. He will be a great coverage safety with good ball skills and a sure tackler. This is a different type of safety than Roy Williams was. Totally different player. He is much more of a free safety.
  13. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I don't think Jefferson is a great athlete but he has really good instincts. He played the first 2 years as basically an olb-nickle corner against mostly 3 and 4 wide sets. He played this year at a high free safety. He has good instincts at both. He is good at playing the ball but not great. He made a ton of tackles this year as the defense was set up to funnel stuff to him.

Him vs. Tavon Austin with a full head of steam did not look good, but that is an idiotic defensive plan. He was able to tackle Joseph Randle with a similar plan. If he is there in the 3rd I'd love it and if he is there in the second I'd think about it. He would be a sure fire starter here.
  14. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,242 Messages
    257 Likes Received
    :hammer:

Same goes for the OU WR
  15. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Well-Known Member

675 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    Somebody can correct me if wrong.

CA kid. Verbally commits to UCLA early. Goes to a UCLA game or something while wearing USC gear. UCLA football players threaten to "correct his mistake" physically. Many verbal exchanges. Changes his mind and goes to Oklahoma.

He's my favorite safety but if he comes to Dallas in a RGIII jersey, there's a-gonna be problems.

:laugh2:
  16. IAmLegend

3,817 Messages
    1,145 Likes Received
    That's true.

Here's his quote about the incident:

"The UCLA players really disrespected me before the game," Jefferson said. "When they saw me, they were all cussing at me, telling me to never come around Westwood again and things like that. These were guys that I had hung out with before and it was a lot of the team. I guess I kind of see it since I was committed there and was wearing USC gear before their big game, but I still didn't appreciate it." - Tony Jefferson

He kept flipping back and forth between USC and UCLA. All the while he was being recruited by Mike Stoops when he was HC at Arizona and really liked him, but he didn't want to play for Arizona. But, once Stoops was fired and went to Oklahoma, he immediately decided to commit there.
  17. Verdict

3,415 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    I have been told that he was a 5 star player coming out of high school. I'm not sure on that though. I told you guys you would like DeMarco Murray and Hanna and they have both been pleasant surprises so far. I think Jefferson would be an instant starter here.
  18. IAmLegend

3,817 Messages
    1,145 Likes Received
    Also true. He was a 5 star prospect coming out of high school and was rated the #1 overall "Athlete" by ESPN since he did not have a designated position.

I like Jefferson a lot too and hope we draft him if we don't get Vacarro or Elam.
  19. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,116 Messages
    5,595 Likes Received
    i would LOVE to have jefferson in the 3rd.
  20. Verdict

3,415 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    That would be awesome, but I just don't see him falling that far.