1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Too early to even talk about 2013 Draft?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Wood, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,243 Messages
    328 Likes Received
    I bring it up because one of the most electrifying players I have ever watched will be in that draft. Tyrann Mathieu is just ridiculous. Half tempted to say Dallas should just tank the year so I can watch Tyrann for next several years with star on his helmet. Its selfish and I am only half kidding. Just haven't seen anyone like this since Deion...and he looks much more physical than Deion but probably not as good in coverage.

here is clip of Tyrann Mathieu.

http://youtu.be/74SfFpNPLBo
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,673 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    EVeryone loves Mathieu. We're going to have to have a terrible year to have a shot at him.
  3. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hate to tell you Wood, he really doesn't project to be the NFL player he was in college. A lot of his highlight plays were purely opportunistic. It wouldn't shock me if he doesn't go in the first two rounds next year.
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,673 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    You say "opportunistic" like it's a bad thing. His biggest problem will probably be his height, not sure how he'll time either.
  5. Hailmary

Hailmary Active Member

2,236 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I think he'll most likely go in the first, but probably not a top ten lock. A lot will depend on how he measures in height and weight-wise at the combines. As of now, his 5'9" @ 175lbs will probably keep him from being considered as an "elite" prospect.
  6. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Of course it's not a bad thing, but it's not necessarily something you can count on always being there. Opportunities popped up before Mathieu, he took advantage and added to his legend.

Not saying they are one in the same, but Mathieu and Merton Hanks (from the mid-to-late 90s) remind me of one another in terms of some of the things that have happened on the field for them. Remember how Hanks always seemed to be picking up some fumble or catching some deflected pass for awhile? When that stopped happening in bunches, it turned out he wasn't that great a safety.

Mathieu is definitely an aggressive player which helps him, but what position does he play in the NFL? Corner? Safety? My guess is the latter and he's got some serious size concerns for that spot in the longterm.
  7. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,590 Messages
    1,916 Likes Received
    I got flamed like it was napalm in Vietnam for saying he was merely an opportunist. But I agree completely. That plus his size.
  8. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Add the fact that he is just average in coverage , average at best .
  9. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,414 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    He was exposed in the national champ game. I think he will have a pretty average year next year. Just my opinion.
  10. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,224 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    Whoever is projecting that needs a new line of work
  11. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,590 Messages
    1,916 Likes Received
    It was like he played for the Giants this past year...every single tipped ball, fumble, etc. bounced into his hands.
  12. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,567 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    Honey Badger will go mid to late 1st round. He also has the opportunity to improve over the next season.
  13. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Active Member

412 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    If we don't solve our CB issues this year, it's a guarantee that we'll have a shot at him. But if we do sign or draft a CB this year, then we no longer need him.
  14. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,243 Messages
    328 Likes Received
    I think he plays Free Safety in NFL. Also feel he plays bit bigger than his actual size.
  15. Dankers

Dankers New Member

12 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    considering we're thinking about tagging Spencer, and Ware is getting older I've been looking at OLB candidates. Jarvis Jones reminds me of James Harrison (except smarter), and my favorite prospect for next year is Barkevious Mingo. He has natural burst and bend, could be the next Ware.
  16. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I absolutely love Jarvis Jones, but I don't get the comparison to Harrison.
  17. Dankers

Dankers New Member

12 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They both play with a bit of nastiness, and are good hand fighters.