1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Top 3 Surprises in Round 1

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Wulfman, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I know we all do a lot of mock drafts, and even those who don't do them look at a ton of them. There's also rampant speculation that sometimes borders on insanity. So with that said, aside from the Cowboys moving up to get Claiborne, what were the three biggest surprises tonight?

For me, it looks like this:

1) Bruce Irvin at #15 - what the heck is Pete Carroll thinking?!? I thought he'd take a chance on a low motor guy like Coples...didn't see someone with this many red flags making it into the first round.

2) A. J. Jenkins to the 49ers. I saw a lot of mocks that had them taking a WR, but none that had Jenkins. I had at least 3 WRs rated higher than him on my board.

3) Courtney Upshaw not being picked in the first round. This just makes no sense. Even if a 3-4 team doesn't think he can stand up and play OLB, 4-3 teams with a DE need should have been all over him. Did the off-the-field incident earlier in his college career come back to bite him?
  2. The Ominous

The Ominous Dead Man Stalkin

1,213 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    Wright to the Titans. They should have went DE.
  3. dwight

dwight Well-Known Member

1,084 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Dont be surprise if Pete gets fired in a year or two. He almost ruined the Pats. years ago.
  4. Staxxxx

Staxxxx Member

286 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    3) DeCastro sliding to 25
  5. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    That was a little further than I had him sliding, but I had him falling to #18. It's just that prejudice against the guard position in the first round.
  6. cdewsxzaq

cdewsxzaq Member

127 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Ingram sliding to 18. I didn't think he would mqke out of the top 10.
  7. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Carrol will return to a major Division 1A program in two years time to do what he loves, he's just waiting for the right opening and for the USC probation to end as not to be fresh in minds.

But watch him go either Pac-12, Big 12, or SEC in two years time.
  8. Staxxxx

Staxxxx Member

286 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I had him at 18 as well but I thought someone might trade up to get him. Maybe I should have said the Oline snub in general. Only one in the first 22 picks.
  9. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    That speaks more to the lack of quality OTs in this draft than anything else, in my mind. After Kalil, there was a significant dropoff.
  10. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Rumors are that Arkansas has already contacted him