1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

TRACEY MYERS:TD is still carrying the ball

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Cbz40, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,366 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Posted on Sat, Nov. 05, 2005

TD is still carrying the ball

By TRACEY MYERS

STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

Being a professional athlete means keeping a hectic schedule. That doesn't necessarily change after you've retired, especially for Hall of Famer Tony Dorsett. The former Cowboys running back kept busy through the early fall lending his hand to a good cause. He helped commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Miami Project, a foundation started by Nick Buoniconti for his son, Marc, who was paralyzed in a college football game.

You've been in Dallas for a long time. What's your attraction to the area? I've been in Dallas since 1977. That's a long time and I've watched this city grow. This city back then was and still is a melting pot. People come from all over. It's very seldom I was meeting someone who was a true Dallas [native]. It's changed a lot since 1977 when I first came here.

What do you think of the Cowboys' progress? I think they're headed in a positive direction. I've seen the franchise go down and Jimmy [Johnson] and Jerry [Jones] zbring it back up. And they were able to win those Super Bowls in a short amount of time. Then you saw it decline again and it's swinging back up now that Jerry made a conscious decision to get a football guy in here to handle the business. He was wearing all the hats and I think that was stretching him thin. He's got a guy who's been there, done it, and the dividends will be paid.

So you like what Bill Parcells is doing? I like Bill. I think Bill knows what buttons to push on to get the best out of his players. He's a guy who brings out the potential of all of his players, and he gets some to play above that. He's a no-nonsense type of guy and I can't help but appreciate that.

Your alma mater, Pittsburgh, is going through tough times. Do you see the Panthers improving? I hope for nothing but the best. I spoke with [Pitt coach] Dave [Wannstedt] right before the Notre Dame game. He told me he had a concern about the defensive line being a little undersized. It showed that evening when they played Notre Dame. If we give Dave a chance to recruit his own players -- he's a Pittsburgh guy and knows what it's about, and he knows Miami -- I think he'd do well recruiting in Western Pennsylvania., Ohio, West Virginia, and down South. He'll be able to recruit some players. He's been in the pros, so he knows what the game is all about. He could have some influence. It's like when I came out. If you want to be a part of something new, Pitt is the place to go. I think he'll get it done if we give him time to get the players in there.

You've got your own food products business. How's that going? Business is getting better every day. We're doing food with the military right now, and with institutions, schools and hospitals. It's really starting to take off. I'm real excited about the potential. I don't know if we'll ever go retail. Don't feel the need to. You probably won't see us in grocery stores.
  2. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,566 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    Classy guy, that Dorsett. One of my all-time favorites as a matter of fact.

Just last night I was watching the game at Philadelphia from 1984 where Tony got knocked OUT cold by Ray Ellis in the 1st half but still came back in the second half and rushed for over 100 yards, even after that concussion. One of the great warriors of the game.
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

30,990 Messages
    1,876 Likes Received
    I think TD was the prettiest runner I've ever seen...

Not in a gay way of course-- not that there is anything wrong with that.
  4. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I totally get your meaning. He had a really high knee lift and his ability to cut and accelerate quickly was just remarkable.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,911 Messages
    1,185 Likes Received
    TD terrified D's in a waythat no other back of that time did. He was ALWAYS a threat to take it to the house on every play.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,603 Messages
    1,419 Likes Received
    Second smoothest runner only behind Eric Dickerson IMO.
  7. MichaelWinicki

30,990 Messages
    1,876 Likes Received

Morning Sarge!
  8. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,158 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    Nice read.....thanks
  9. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Tony Dorsett the real TD :D
  10. mocowboyfan

mocowboyfan Member

53 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    For you NASCAR fans, TD is also an honorary pit crew member for Kurt Busch tomorrow at Texas Raceway. Also next year, Hall of Fame Racing has a car owned by Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman in the NEXTEL circuit.
  11. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,366 Messages
    1 Likes Received

I'll call it a tie..........Morning sarge :D
  12. MichaelWinicki

30,990 Messages
    1,876 Likes Received

Morning Pops!
  13. TonyD33

TonyD33 New Member

10 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am glad you said that because I agree. No one looked more graceful and controlled than Dorsett when he had the ball. He just looked good running. It was almost as if the defense was chreographed to accompany his long runs instead of stop them.
  14. TonyD33

TonyD33 New Member

10 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dickerson was smooth but had no moves - not like TD