1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Trade down... but with who?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Canadian BoyzFan, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Canadian BoyzFan

Canadian BoyzFan Active Member

3,315 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I am liking more and the idea of trading down to get another 2nd pick and to then possibly jump back into the late first round. I'd like:

Cordy Glenn
    Peter Konz
    Bruce Irvin

Works for me. However, who has the ammo and desire to want to trade to 14? Also, who the heck are they trading up for?

I'll hang up and listen now.
  2. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Possibly Tannehill or even Trent Richardson. Maybe DeCastro? New England and Cleveland possess two 1st rounders so they are the likely trading partners. Dallas has a history of trading with both organizations.

Bruce Irvin is a 3rd round prospect IMO. No way do I touch him in the 1st or 2nd.

Don't think the team will take a guard early; I think they want Konz bad. They'll try and trade up for him in the late 1st if the opportunity is there. If it isn't, they'll settle for Blake in the 3rd.
  3. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I the think Bears a #19 could be a possibility. They need an offensive tackle badly. Assuming Reiff and Kalil are already off the board, if you want Jonathon Martin you better jump ahead of the Eagles and Jets. They might also target Malcom Floyd.
  4. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,851 Messages
    2,335 Likes Received
    great point
  5. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,958 Messages
    1,520 Likes Received
    In the unlikely event that Tannehill and/or Richardson are still there, then let the bidding begin; otherwise IMO, possibilities include:

* Cincinnati - the 2nd of their two first rounders could be in play if someone they want is there @ #14 = Michael Floyd comes to mind; I see the Jets wanting him so a trade past that would get it done. They might also want a guy like Kirkpatrick and fear Tennessee taking him - they might not take Kirk at #14, but they would still be @ #17 for that.
    #14 & #113 (4th) for #21 and #53 (2nd)

* Chicago - The Bears need a Tackle and if Martin is there, you never know (Kalil will go #3 and Reiff likely to go top 10).
    #14 for #19 and #73 (3rd)

* Cleveland - I see them taking Richardson @ #4 and they may want a gifted WR to add to the offense - again, could be to get Floyd (Jeffery seems to be moving up a little as well and Kendall Wright would be there)
    #14 for #22 & #67 (3rd) & #100 (4th)
    or
    #14 & #81 (3rd) for #22 & #37 (2nd)

* Denver - Again, if Floyd is available, then Manning will want a go-to guy
    #14 for #25 & #57 (2nd)

* San Diego - if Poe is still there, I could see them jumping over the Eagles
    #14 for #18 & #78 (3rd)

I looked at the value chart (I know, not a bible of sorts) and these deals would all have similar value.

Thoughts?
  6. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The one I like the most is with Denver. Big fan of getting an extra 2nd. Especially one that is higher than the one we have right now. We could get a ton of value with 25, 37 and 45.
  7. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,958 Messages
    1,520 Likes Received

just an fyi, Denver's 2nd is #57...the Browns second is #37....
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    Cleveland would be the best case scenario if Cowboys do look to move out of the 14th spot.
  9. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You're right. Oversight on my part. Thanks for clearing that up for me. That was the biggest reason I liked the trade. The idea of having an early 2nd. Hmmm.
  10. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,536 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    There will be more trades than in the past thanks to the new rookie pay scale. Teams aren't going to be as scared to jump up and get their guy now.
  11. TheSport78

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Agreed 100%. This would possibly still land us Barron and definitely still get us Konz.
  12. TheSport78

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Good point.
  13. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,119 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    You can add Tennesee and the NYJ because they both are in need of pass rushers. NYJ may be targeting Ingram and Tenn could be targeting Cox or Brockers.
  14. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,498 Likes Received
    To get great value in a trade down you want "rare chips".

Either positional value such as with Tannehill or a singular talent well ahead of others at the position like Trent Richardson.

I think Cleveland could be our best shot. They may feel forced to take Tannehill with the early pick. If so they'd have to move up to get Richardson. Dallas falling to 22 would hurt as we'd see some coveted guys leave the board between 14-22 but it could also be very worth it in draft bounty.

The Browns now have two picks in the first round (4th and 22nd), one in the second (37), one in the third (67), two in the fourth (100, 118), two in the fifth (139, 160), two in the sixth (204, 205) and three in the seventh round (211, 245, 247).

They could move from 22 to 14 and possibly get Richardson who is a guy they really like at 4.

A package might look like: 14 and 81 for 22, 37, 67, 139.

That's a nice haul and very possible provided CLE has access to a guy rated top 5 on their board at 14.
  15. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,851 Messages
    2,335 Likes Received
    good points
    one other possibility is that now that the eagles' obvious pick will be OT, other teams looking for OT may want to trade up to ahead of them for someone like Martin (as IR pointed out)
  16. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,656 Messages
    1,481 Likes Received
    Likely trading partners Tenn at 20, Browns 22 and NE at 27 and 31.
  17. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,498 Likes Received
    I don't think there is even a small chance we fall as far as 27.

Not only that but the Pats almost always trade down or out, not up. They have two 1sts but a smaller than usual allotment overall and seem to follow the jimmy johnson net method.

I do agree with the other 2 choices 100%.

A sleeper could be the Rams.
    If they trade down a few spots from 6 to 8 or 9 they' have tons of ammo to move back into mid round 1. Would mean us taking on future 1st probably but could happen.
  18. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,656 Messages
    1,481 Likes Received
    Wouldnt mind a shot at a future starting QB next year, but the team still so many holes this year.
  19. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,498 Likes Received
    As fans we'd probably all hate it, lol.
    But the team drafted Sean Lee and Bruce Carter showing a willingness to wait a year to feel the impact of great value.
  20. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Which teams could we make a trade with that would yield us a top 1-15 pick in the draft next year? (Barkley, Bray, Jones, Wilson)