1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Troy Polamalu wins AP Defensive Player of the Year

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by MarionBarberThe4th, Jan 31, 2011.

1. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,778 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    I guess Clay Mathews was 2nd.

If at least 3 guys on our D dont grow their hair long then we wont see improvement and this off-season was a failure
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,798 Messages
    1,601 Likes Received
    Two times now.

Ware has been the league leader in sacks and has not won DPOY.
  3. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,359 Messages
    1,347 Likes Received
    I swear, earlier today I saw a report that Matthews had won it. I had Ware's and his stats side by side comparing them and was fuming. Ware out did him in every stat hut 1. Matthews had an INT.
  4. brymatt94

brymatt94 Active Member

388 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    I noticed the votes each candidate received on nfl network. Ware wasn't even a candidate!!! But of course guess who was?! James harrison! all i can say is overrated!
  5. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's an undeniably excellent player, but it helps when people don't block you.

[youtubehd]ndPdRxQP27o&hd=1[/youtubehd]
  6. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,238 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    i guess because we didnt make the playoffs and was only 6-10.:banghead:
  7. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,094 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Totally ridiculous! I cannot believe Ware wasn't even in the conversation.
  8. Tricericon

Tricericon Member

874 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    This strikes me as even worse choice than usual. Polamalu is still a very good player, but he's old, injury prone, not as good as he used to be, and he plays possibly the least important position on defense. I could probably think of ten guys I'd rather have seen win it, if I tried...Ware is of course one of them.
  9. Hostile

118,359 Messages
    1,347 Likes Received
    I see very little difference between him and the Bob Sanders vote a few years ago. They see a few plays, they see a difference when that guy is off the field. They vote because of those 2 things. Forget steady dominant play over multiple years.

If any of these guys say anyone has been better over a 5 year period they are high. Few players have ever been on the level Ware has been for 5 years running.
  10. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,010 Messages
    2,572 Likes Received
    I would have given it to Matthews. Matthews clearly outplayed Ware this year and I'm not a huge Matthews fan. And I am a Ware fan. Stats do not tell the tale here.
  11. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Troy isn't just very good he's great and deserving of this award. He's every bit the player he was two years ago.
  12. Hostile

118,359 Messages
    1,347 Likes Received
  13. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,010 Messages
    2,572 Likes Received
    I agree. But this was a down year for Ware relative to his usual play. He just wasn't consistent enough. And the vote is for this year. Ware should have won the year he had over 20 sacks. But not this year.
  14. Hostile

118,359 Messages
    1,347 Likes Received
    No idea why you'd say this.
  15. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

4,803 Messages
    104 Likes Received
  16. SacredStar

SacredStar Active Member

2,693 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    That is bull.

The only reason Ware was not in contention is because Dallas had a bad year. Did you happen to notice that every single player getting votes was from a winning team that made the playoffs?

Ware had a DPOY year this year, and was slighted because of a poor season by the team.
  17. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,153 Messages
    1,094 Likes Received
    Actually, looking at the numbers you could easily argue James Harrison had a better season than Troy P, Matthews, and D Ware. Looks at his stat line vs D.Ware:

100 Tackles <<-- DWare had 66
    11 Sacks -->> Dware had 15.5
    2 Interceptions <<-- DWare had 0
    6 Forced Fumbles <<-- DWare had 2
    5 Passes Defenses <<-- Dware had 1

Harrison had 34 more tackles than DWare and forced 6 more Turn-overs. Other than the 4.5 sacks the stat line is clearly very much in Harrison's favor and I don't think there is anybody out there who wouldn't trade those 4.5 sacks for the 6 extra turn-overs by Harrison.

Harrison had a pretty incredible year all things considered. I just don't see any way you could arguer objectively that DWare had a better year than Harrison.
  18. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How did he clearly outplay? Ware was better statistically, he just played for a much inferior defense.
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,766 Messages
    3,753 Likes Received
    Pretty easy case to make when the other two guys get their teams to the Superbowl, and we don't make the playoffs.
  20. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

What are you talking about? Ware led the NFL in sacks with 15.5 he was very consistent. He had one of his best years, no way was this a down year.

Yeah because it was Ware's fault the guys are him on D were atrocious.

/sarcasm