1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

Truth In Politics: Gun Sales Boom After Election

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by sacase, Dec 4, 2008.

1. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,431 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    http://cbs2chicago.com/politics/gun.sales.election.2.879513.html

CHICAGO (CBS) ― Gun sellers say the election of Barack Obama is helping them avoid the recession. Sales of new guns are booming - up an estimated 50 percent in the suburbs.

In Wednesday's Truth in Politics, CBS 2 Political Editor Mike Flannery reports the gun lobby spent big trying to defeat Obama this year, outraged by his promise to reinstate a ban on military-style assault weapons. On talk radio, he was denounced as a "gun grabber." Now, as Obama heads to the White House, millions are rushing to reload.

Business has rarely been better for certified arms instructor Jan Gofron.

He's teaching a flood of new students about semi-automatic handguns as well as tactical shot guns some call "street sweepers."

The most powerful weapons are disappearing fastest from local gun shops. At Elmwood Park's Illinois Gun Works, sales started soaring as it became apparent Barack Obama would win the White House.

"Once people started to realize that the Democrats had a better chance, or seemed to have a better chance, they started getting nervous about certain gun regulations," said Illinois Gun Works' Owner Dan Mastrianni.

Recent gun sales are up nationally 42 percent. In Illinois, they are up 38 percent; and in Chicago's suburbs 50 percent.

"It's simply paranoia," said Thomas Mannard of the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence. "And it's irresponsible, from my point of view, to be touting how wonderful this is. More guns definitely equal more death."

Mannard worked with then-state Sen. Barack Obama to pass Illinois' ban on assault weapons. Obama also helped close a loophole that allowed gun shows to sell weapons without doing background checks on buyers. Mannard now hopes for a national law.

Gun dealers say the threat of new rules will keep their sales booming.

"I don't expect this to slow down anytime soon," Mastrianni said. "What happened during Prohibition? Whatever people can't have, that's what they want. They can't get enough of it."

Like many, Mastrianni does not believe gun issues are anywhere near top of the president-elect's political agenda. Senior Advisor David Axelrod declined to discuss what, if any, gun-related legislation the administration might propose, nor when. He noted they are busy picking people for top jobs.
    ----------------------------------------------------

Llike I said in another thread, Obama's election has people buying more guns.
  2. Hostile

Hostile Persona Non Grata Zone Supporter

119,427 Messages
    3,700 Likes Received
    The lesson here is the next time we have a Republican President being replaced by a Democrat President invest in any and all gun makers stock.
  3. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No, just a new President whose positions have been very VERY anti-2nd Amendment...:cool: ...regardless of party actually. Obama changed his "position" in the 11th hour to help get himself elected, but a lot of people don't trust a policy position switch at election time.
  4. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,350 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    That's what I asked my wife for for Christmas... a new gun with a high-capacity magazine that'll almost certainly be banned under Obama.

She called the manufacturer and found out the particular one I wanted to get is now very hard to find as everyone is scrambling to get ahold of stuff before the bans go into effect.
  5. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

69,781 Messages
    10,722 Likes Received
    I'm curious. Has Obama or Democrats indicated that he would make changes to the gun laws? And what changes do people expect?

Since I'm not a gun person, I don't follow such things...
  6. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,431 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    I think it has more to do with having a Dem congress and dem president who is very much against the 2nd amendment and in favor of gun bans. There have been comments made about banning assult rifles again (even though they are not really assult rifles), banning semi automatic handguns and heavily taxing bullets. People are trying to get a head of all of that.
  7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

5,145 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    Is Obama "against" the 2nd amendment or does he simply have a different interpretation of what it means? As a constitutional scholar, doesn't his take on the issue have any merit whatsoever?
  8. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

63,789 Messages
    7,532 Likes Received
    No he is a dirty liberal which automatically makes him against the second amendment and the right for anyone to own any gun. :laugh2:
  9. Sasquatch

5,145 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    This doesn't answer your question but it does provide some information on Obama's stances to gun ownership and gun control.

On the Issues
  10. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,431 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    Well his views are obviously at odds with the supreme court, so as a constitutional scholar he is way off the mark. He wants a total handgun ban, he wants to ban assult rifles (basically any rifle that Looks like a military style weapon), he wants to ban semi automatic weapons, he wants people to be able to sue gun makers. He wants a ban of handguns in inner cities. Thankfully the supreme court is at odds with what he desires.

If Obama had his way there would only be bolt action rifles and single shot shotguns.

I have no problem with background checks which can be accomplished quickly to determine if you are elidgable to purchase a handgun or any other fire arm for that matter. When I purchesed my .45 2 weeks ago at a gun show it too about an hour for my background check to go through. That was a reasonable amount of time.

I have no problem about licensing requirements as long as they are not prohibative, meaning that they are more trouble than they are worth. I have no problems about having training requirements. I do have a problem with denying the people their right to bear arms just because they live in a certain area.
  11. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

69,781 Messages
    10,722 Likes Received
    Thank you. I can see why gun owners may have some concern, but I don't see Obama taking any extreme measures in regards to the 2nd amendment.
  12. Sasquatch

5,145 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    Could this logic be deployed as a rebuff to opponents of abortion as well? Not to get off track, but I couldn't resist.

So what is the logic behind asserting the right to have assault rifles again? Is it simply a matter of it being an absolute right, covering all types of firearms, or is there a specific practical reason why some people feel the need to own assault rifles?
  13. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye.

15,574 Messages
    2,831 Likes Received
    In my opinion, people are more troubled by Obama's attitude towards firearms than anything else--an attitude that he revealed when he spoke so disdainfully of religion and guns, deeming them mere objects to which powerless and embittered people cling.

When I watch elections, I look for phrases, moments, or actions that provide insight past a candidate's rhetoric and doublespeak and into his psyche. Obama's comment over religion and guns was such a phrase, in my opinion. Similarly, McCain's promise to provide $300 billion to buy up bad mortgages was another such moment. It was clear he lacked any defined strategy and was throwing stuff against the wall, desperately hoping something would stick.
  14. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,308 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Although i don't currently own a gun, my wife and I have considered getting one in the future, simply for last resort protection.

What i don't get is the need to own the most saphisticated guns well and beyond a simple shotgun or hand gun. Outside of an individual 'right' and 'desire', what is the justification for people to own of these?

It's an honest question, just looking for an explanation.
  15. ScipioCowboy

15,574 Messages
    2,831 Likes Received
    What do you mean by "sophisticated?"
  16. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,139 Messages
    214 Likes Received

The problem with an assault rifle ban is that it solves no problem and just gives the look of doing something without having any substantive effect. In any case, the 2nd Amendment is pretty dang clear as to its intent.

The Clinton ban, for example, was pretty clearly BS. And that law included all sorts of guns. The definitions they used swept up weapons that were really not assault weapons. 'Assault Weapons' itself is a generic term; it's not like saying revolver or semi-automatic.

Unless there is some super strong need to do so, you shouldn't have government going around outlawing things right and left. And at the time of the Clinton ban passage there was this great quote from the head of the New Jersey state police, who said, 'I have had more officers attacked by tigers than have been attacked with assault weapons.'

There are problems that the USA has due to having so many guns available. An assault rifle ban does precious little to solve any of them. And while we should try to come up with ways of dealing with the problems, they need to not butt so heavilly against the very evident intent of the Constitution.
  17. Sasquatch

5,145 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    This isn't an issue in which I'm well versed. What is the self-evident intent of the constitution in regards to the 2nd Amendment?
  18. ScipioCowboy

15,574 Messages
    2,831 Likes Received
    :hammer:

This is the folly of most forms of gun control within the US. They do very little to stop the proliferation of firearms or crime. They merely keep guns away from those are more likely to obey the law.
  19. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,308 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    You have to excuse my ignorance, i'm somewhat clueless when it comes to guns.

I was talking about weapons like AK-47 and others that are often associated with military use.
  20. ScipioCowboy

15,574 Messages
    2,831 Likes Received
    I understand now. You're talking about fully automatic rifles.

Fully automatic rifles are already illegal within the United States. Of course, their illegality has yet to stop their proliferation, and a person can modify many types of legal semi-automatic rifles so they function like fully automatic ones.