1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Trying to Find the Name of a Story...

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by The Emperor, Jan 29, 2012.

1. The Emperor

The Emperor Marcus Aurelius Maximus

3,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ...about a young man and a young woman who meet and hit it off. They bring light to each other's life. They build each other up. They edify and educate one another. They recall past experiences to one another. There's one catch: their whole relationship/friendship exists through letters. They lead completely different lives but they become very close and no one knows about it except them. They see each other rarely and their friendship exists only in the letters.

My problem is I don't even recall the author's name. Can any of you literary buffs help me out on this one? Someone suggested Hemingway and the other Whitman, but I've yet to find the story.
  2. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,800 Messages
    1,199 Likes Received
    A recent book, or an older book?
    :confused:

That might help narrow it down.
  3. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,416 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received
    Do you have an era? There is a whole genre of epistolary letters where the story is revealed only in letters.

Samuel Richardson had a couple, "Clarissa" and "Pamela." I freaking hated that 2nd one so bad I would never read the first. That book was probably the low light of my college degree.

Jane Austen is perhaps the most famous epistolary novelist, but what you are describing doesn't sound to me like "Pride and Prejudice" or "Sense and Sensibility."

"Dracula" and "Frankenstein" are both from that genre, but not anywhere near the plot you describe.

One that I had to study that cracked me up was "Emmeline." (I think that was the name.) I read it after Pamela. I forget the author, but I remember reading it in one day because I was home sick and laughing at one character in particular.
  4. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You have me at a loss with it as well.

84 Charing Cross Road was by far my favorite epistolary style, and favorite adaptation to film. You cannot go wrong with Anthony Hopkins and Anne Bancroft. Saw it for the first time when I stayed home from school, sick in bed. Showtime ran it one day.

If you've never read it, Color Purple is also epistolary.
  5. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I've never seen the movie, but wasn't "The Lake House" something like that? Not sure if it was book before a movie.
  6. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Emp, can you give me a few more details?
  7. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,350 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    sounds kinda like the film called the lake house
  8. The Emperor

3,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hey, all. Thanks for the help in tracking down this story. I can say it isn't The Lake House.

I've never read the story. It's one that a friend of mine tried to tell me about, but even she didn't know the name or the author. Consequently, I don't know if it's new or old. She was the one who gave me the leads of Hemingway and Whitman.

The only book or movie I've heard of that sounds like the plot is Love in the Time of Cholera. But that's not it because the protagonists only saw each other in public and hardly communicated period.

I like The Sorrows of Young Werther. But it's more revealed through journal writings.

No, those aren't it either. Gosh, that's horrible. No wonder you didn't read the first one. It's essentially the same plot.

No, it's not either one of those.

Considering it deals with a young man and a young woman, it might!

Well, thanks for your help, Hostile.

Thanks to all of you, too. Keep tossing ideas out there because I'm determined to find it and read it.
  9. The Emperor

3,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanks, Salty. I'll check those out as well.

EDIT -- I remember The Color Purple now. It's that Oprah and Whoopi Goldberg movie. I almost saw the play rendition of that out in Washington, D.C. but was too pressed for time to go.
  10. Hostile

118,416 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received
    You've got me stumped. I honestly do not remember a Hemingway novel that was epistolary, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Walt Whitman however, was a poet, not a novelist. Certainly not epistolary in his essays which are the only prose I know of.

I wish you could give me even one more detail, I might be able to ask one of my literary professors whom I still keep in contact with.
  11. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can see Hemingway doing an epistolary. One letter would be 34 pages describing a street scene while he paid the bill of his lunch at a cafe in Paris, the reply would be two sentences describing Europe.
  12. Hostile

118,416 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received
    That'd be Victor Hugo.
  13. JustDezIt

JustDezIt Formerly sm0kie13 ROY

3,627 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    you've got mail
  14. The Emperor

3,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nothing is showing up in my inbox, aside from a PM from CowboyMcCoy that I'll address once I feel like talking football again.
  15. The Emperor

3,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Why I didn't think it was Hemingway was because he never wrote that kind of content. He mostly wrote about Paris or the Spanish Civil War. At least, that's what his short stories seem to be chock full of.

And I wish I did have that one more detail. All that I have is all I posted initially.

I'll keep checking.
  16. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received

You've Got Mail is a 1998 American romantic comedy film directed by Nora Ephron, starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. It was written by Nora and Delia Ephron based on the play Parfumerie by Miklós László. The film is about two letter-writing lovers who are completely unaware that their sweetheart is in fact the person with whom they share a certain degree of animosity. An adaptation of Parfumerie was previously made as The Shop Around the Corner, a 1940 film by Ernst Lubitsch and also a 1949 musical remake, In the Good Old Summertime by Robert Z. Leonard starring Judy Garland. You've Got Mail updates that concept with the use of e-mail. Influences from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice can also be seen in the relationship between Joe Fox and Kathleen Kelly — a reference pointed out by these characters actually discussing Mr. Darcy and Miss Bennet in the film.
  17. The Emperor

3,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! That's hilarious. I look like a moron.

Sorry about that, JustDezIt. I hope y'all had a chuckle at my expense.
  18. jubal

jubal Member

581 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    You beat me to it,and did it better with all the info.
  19. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  20. JustDezIt

JustDezIt Formerly sm0kie13 ROY

3,627 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    pure awesome