1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Types of players Cowboys like

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Feb 28, 2012.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,893 Messages
    4,243 Likes Received
    Seems like we know the basic type of WR the Cowboys like. They rarely take a small WR unless it is because they really like his Return abilities and want him for that reason.

That tends to help you, for the most part, weed out certain types of WRs they might draft (again for the most part).

Are there other trends you have seen in other positions like DL, OLBs and so on that might help us somewhat rule out some players and also helps us gravitate towards others in trying to determine who we might draft.

Just a topic that might get some play and spark some good conversation.:cool:
  2. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    So, does that mean a guy like Devon Wylie does or does not have a chance here?

Reading here, I thought that he would be a good slot receiver/KR.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

60,893 Messages
    4,243 Likes Received
    Seems the odds would be against it unless he has ST skills and I thought I read that he did.

The only smaller WRs I can remember us drafting over the last several years have been ones that were basically drafted to play in the return game first.

Now with that said, it does not mean it automatically rules them out. It just makes the odds higher against it unless they have return skills.

That kind of trend is what I am interested in for this thread, interested in what trends they tend to follow concerning other positions in order to possibly help us get a better idea of players they might be interested in.
  4. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,906 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    Well seems like we like to draft injured players with high grades. We tend to always draft towards value. Very economic business like approach.
  5. BrAinPaiNt

60,893 Messages
    4,243 Likes Received
    Another good thing to take note of.

Sean Lee and Bruce Carter are prime examples of this along with Chris Canty from a few years ago.

So we might consider taking a look at some players that might have had a first round grade that fell due to current injuries.
  6. ABQcowboyJR

2,906 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    Yeah Crick strikes my mind. After looking at him more and more though, I just don't think he can play in a 34. 43 end in my book.
  7. fortdick

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Worked with Lee and Murray. Hopefully it works with Carter. I wouldn't want to set my draft order looking for injured players, however.
  8. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I think Correll Judie (5th) has a very good chance of being a cowboy for this reason. He was very good as a junior but had a poor senior year with injuries.

Broyles is obviously a guy that fits that mold of being devalued by a knee injury.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

60,893 Messages
    4,243 Likes Received
    Keep it going guys. This is good stuff.

Any other trends we might look at?
  10. ABQcowboyJR

2,906 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    I think there is also something to be said about the boys not drafting substance abuse guys. They have not done this for some time now.
  11. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Jerry said a couple of years ago that he puts the most weight on the scouts rankings at the end of the season. He said that he trusts the players body of work over combine stats or players that are "rising on the draft boards" when they have not done anything more on the field.
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,464 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    Wylie is a terrible WR prospect IMHO.

He simply can't catch the football worth a crud.

And he has great pure track speed but showed little in the way of smooth route-running.
    I'd say r7/undrafted free agent at this point.
  13. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,464 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    I believe it was SDogo who noted Dallas doesn't take anyone off the board up front but instead offers grades then adjusts for off-field stuff or injuries now.

It makes sense then that they'd see some injury concern guys fall where other teams just took them off the board altogether.

With Lee it has been a home run. Fingers crossed for Carter and Murray(early returns are quite good on Murray obviously).
  14. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,464 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    Judie is intriguing to me.
    Then again after watching Alan Ball and Frank Walker start games at CB I am easy to convince on any DB:)
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,772 Messages
    1,691 Likes Received
    I don't know that you could call it a trend but I think Big Corners are in line with what we seem to want defensively.

Based on that, I think you could look at the following players:

Gilmore
    Judie
    Kirkpatrick
    McCray
    Richardson

All of these Corners are 6' or better and have run in the 4s. Of course, they must also have other attributes but this is probably a good place to start.
  16. Goku

Goku Benched

388 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    we don't draft Texas players.
  17. fortdick

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Interesting. The only things I know of him I have read here. The report on him from the Senior Bowl sounded good.

If he can't catch, what is the point?
  18. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,287 Messages
    901 Likes Received
    After the 3rd round I would look for smaller school players who dominated. We have a tendency to pick these guys. We love taking OT's in those situations and trying to convert them. We also take TE's almost every year, and FB's.

Look for a jack of trades corner in the latter rounds who can handle ko/pr duties. By the end of TC they will be cut, etc.

What I've really noticed since Bill left is we tend to find players that nobody has really heard of, the Arkins, Brewsters, Jason Williams, etc.

It might behoove our scouts to spend a little time in SEC country!;)

Also, we love players from Oklahoma. So look on that defense now.
  19. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If Bennet leaves, we for sure will draft a TE most likely in the 2nd round.

The other trends; recently the team likes to draft team captains.
  20. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would pay close attention to Dallas Day. It seems every year, 2-3 players we sign also attend Dallas Day. Some of the undrafted free agents that we sign for sure.