1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Tyrann Mathieu to enter NFL draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Nov 29, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,850 Messages
    918 Likes Received
    Former LSU defensive back Tyrann Mathieu plans to announce Thursday he is entering the next NFL draft, a source close to the player said.

Mathieu, known as the "Honey Badger," was a Heisman Trophy finalist known for his knack for making plays last year. But the 20-year-old Mathieu was suspended for this season due to a substance abuse issue he has continued to work on.

Mathieu was arrested last month on a possession of marijuana charge. He also was dismissed from the football team in August for failing a drug test and entered a treatment program run by former NBA player John Lucas.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/st...er-tyrann-mathieu-enter-nfl-draft-source-says
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,850 Messages
    918 Likes Received
    Highly doubt they draft him but if he could put the pipe down he is the playmaking FS/ special teamer they have been looking for. Just cant see it working out in Dallas though. Probably needs to go to a place like NE or Pitt with strong coaches and less distractions after practice.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,850 Messages
    918 Likes Received
    Even without all of those issues, however, Mathieu’s draft stock may have been uncertain. He won the 2011 Bednarik Award, handed out to college football’s best defensive player, and was a Heisman finalist after a sophomore season in which he made huge play after huge play — Mathieu finished the 2011 campaign with 76 tackles, 11 interceptions, six forced fumbles, two defensive touchdowns and a pair of punt return touchdowns.

During his time with the Tigers, he was unquestionably one of the most electric players in college football. However, even then there were questions about how Mathieu’s game would translate to the NFL.

At 5-foot-9 and 175 pounds, Mathieu lacks the prototypical size of an elite cornerback. Any team that selects him also may have to adjust its defensive playbook — Mathieu thrived at LSU, in part, because the coaching staff did not hesitate to use him all over the secondary. Mathieu even slid up as a linebacker to rush the quarterback at times.

That versatility could make Mathieu a home-run pick for a team willing to use him in such a way, but it could detract from those seeking a straight-up cover corner.

And as for those other factors …

Working in Mathieu’s favor may be the recent success of other players with so-called “character issues.” Though the Rams had to suspend Janoris Jenkins in Week 10 for a violation of team rules, he has put together a decent rookie season, highlighted by a two-pick-6 performance last week. Last year, the Ravens rolled the dice in the first round on Jimmy Smith, despite reports that he had failed multiple drug tests and been arrested for third-degree assault. Thus far, the Ravens have had no issues with Smith, aside from some inconsistent play.

The NFL world also received an introduction to Eagles rookie running back Bryce Brown last Monday. Brown was one of the most highly-touted recruits in the 2009 class, only to leave Tennessee after one season, and then bail on Kansas State as well after a report alleged that ex-Miami booster Nevin Shapiro had provided him with improper benefits.

http://nfl.si.com/2012/11/29/honey-...-tyrann-mathieus-prospects/?eref=twitter_feed
  4. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,412 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Let's see: Mathieu is smallish, possesses mediocre at best man coverage skills, and by having weed at his apartment when he had literally millions of potential future dollars riding on getiing reinstated by LSU he has proven himself to be a complete moron.

How can Jerry resist?
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,850 Messages
    918 Likes Received
    Rotoworld NFL Draft ‏@Rotoworld_Draft
    PFT: Mathieu currently viewed as 4th rounder http://dlvr.it/2YrBdm
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
  6. Sifillest

Sifillest Member

474 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    i'd definitely take a shot on him...dude can come in on nickel packages and wreak havoc. and his return ability would be welcome.
  7. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,334 Messages
    723 Likes Received
    He is not any better than Pacman Jones and that didn't work out too well.
  8. Sifillest

Sifillest Member

474 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    seems he had better stats than pacman by a lot. plus he would be playing alongside claiborne again. all im saying is, it couldnt hurt. the reward is much higher than the risk imo.
  9. joseephuss

20,334 Messages
    723 Likes Received
    What risk are you assigning? Fourth round? Sixth round?

Yes, it can hurt. If management talks to the guy and truly thinks he has changed his ways then maybe it can work. If he is still dense, then he can be a bad influence and problem. Sure you look into it, but I don't think you just say "what the heck, let's pull the trigger".

I also don't think the reward is really all that high. He has some limitations.

Pacman had 8 ints in college. Honey Badger had 4.
  10. Sifillest

Sifillest Member

474 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    he has limitations for sure, but what explosive playmakers do we have in our secondary? i'd certainly give him a look with a 4th-6th rounder....
  11. joseephuss

20,334 Messages
    723 Likes Received
    I wouldn't. Maybe as an UDFA. The guy hasn't played in a year. That alone drops him way down in my book. Throw in his off the field issues and I just don't see why you use a draft pick to try to obtain him. I don't foresee him being an explosive playmaker at the NFL level. Jeff Fisher will probably waste a 3rd on him anyway.
  12. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,226 Messages
    3,047 Likes Received
    Reminds me of the Cliff Harris (the CB) situation.

Cliff Harris College (5-11, 175)
    Through the conclusion of the 2010 regular season, he had 33 solo tackles and five interceptions while also leading the nation with four punt return touchdowns and 20 passes defended. Following an indefinite suspension, Harris was dismissed from the Oregon football team December 5, 2011, after a series of traffic-related offenses and a reported citation for possession of marijuana.

Cliff Harris Pro
    Harris was signed by the Philadelphia Eagles as an undrafted free agent on April 29, 2012. He was cut by the Eagles on August 26th.
  13. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,577 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    No chance.

He's got to many off the field issues that will likely not be cleared up or stop. He's not worth even wasting a UDFA signing on him.
  14. dwight

dwight Active Member

856 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    I live in Baton Rouge and I can tell you all that drafting that dude would be a mistake.

He is terrible against the pass and he has drug issues.

He is overrated.
  15. BigWillie

BigWillie Well-Known Member

1,667 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Pretty much agree with alot of what has been said here.

However, I do think he will have value for someone out there as a return man. Low risk, high reward in that regard to use his explosiveness just for that.
  16. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,951 Messages
    1,704 Likes Received
    Not sure anyone cares.

I'm sure some team will take the risk.

For some reason I could see Pete Carroll taking a flyer. Then again, weed is now legal in Washington so maybe not.
  17. Sifillest

Sifillest Member

474 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Heh, Fisher has done wonders with keeping Janoris Jenkins in line, it seems.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,242 Messages
    1,330 Likes Received
    I think he's a 5th or 6th round pick. He's smallish and he will enter the draft with two strikes, which as we all know, means he only really has one left. The team that drafts him will be doing so as a special teams guy IMO. He has talent but he's too risky to invest big dollars in. You may be dead on Josee when you say FA. I could see that as well. A team offering him a big FA contract rather then spending a pick on him.