1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Tyson Thompson

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Hailmary, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Can he block? Is he a decent receiver?

I don't dislike Polite, but we need to get Thompson on the field more. He could be dangerous on a simple 5yd dump off pass.
  2. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,724 Messages
    902 Likes Received
    Agreed, he needs to be on the field more.........watch out for TT throwing the halfback option pass sometime this season.........left handed like Richie used to throw it.

I thought that play would be used last night.
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,533 Messages
    1,798 Likes Received
    i disagree, maybe your right if he gets it wide open where he can immediately go north and south. but the guy has no change of direction and cant break a tackle. i like him he just wouldnt scare me if i was a defensive coach
  4. kTXe

kTXe On To The Next One

1,505 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    I think you are still stuck on last year's version of TT. This year, he has shown a LOT of improvement in his "wiggle", IMO.
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,533 Messages
    1,798 Likes Received
    can you give an example? b/c i thought he looked awfully stiff on his KR
  6. Hailmary

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    He may have some space to work w/ to build up some steam in the flats.

True he may not have much wiggle, but he could out run most LBs in the league and turn a 5yd pass into a 15yder (when the safeties have a crack at him). This is something that I'm afraid Polite is not capable of.

This is all dependent on wheteher he can or can't catch, however. So how are his hands?

Also, they should work in some sweeps w/ this kid (or JJ for that matter).
  7. kTXe

kTXe On To The Next One

1,505 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    I thought he showed it all preseason. He hasn't had many opportunities thusfar during the regular season.

Also, I think people get too critical about his KR...he does exactly what we ask him to do. For the most part, you aren't going to see a bunch of crazy moves returning KOs. It is much more about following blocks and trying to find a seam, whereas punt returns are more about making the first few people miss.
  8. Hailmary

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Agreed. I've been very happy w/ his KRs. If he can consistently get to the 30yd line, I'll be happy. Doesn't matter how he does it.
  9. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    That run last night was a thing of beauty.

He looked like he was going to lose like 5 yards and then BOOM he blew past the guy and down the sideline...Too bad it got called back.
  10. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,242 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    He came up limping after one play late in the game....anybody hear what happened? I'm assuming it's not serious as it hasn't been mentioned by the media.
  11. Natedawg44

Natedawg44 Active Member

2,598 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think he is doing fine on kickoffs. He's never going to have the agility of a Dante Hall. He's not built that way. Heck Adrian Peterson has as much agility as anyone for 220 lbs and he didn't cause a whole lot of problems when he started returning kicks this week. Unless you are Dante Hall most kickoff returns TDs are from finding a seam and good blocking. Look at Cartwright last night. Better blocking on special teams is what he needs.
  12. goshan

goshan Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,899 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    You don't improve on wiggle.
    It is natural.
    He is a straight ahead speed runner. Always will be.
  13. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,533 Messages
    1,798 Likes Received
    i only saw one preseason game so maybe im wrong

actually i like his KR game...he gets a chance to break it a lot and never has a really bad return. I just dont like the fact that he cant make anybody miss.
  14. 2much2soon

2much2soon Active Member

2,446 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Yea, that was wicked. You don't see guys with that kind of burst too often. Even in the NFL. He turned the corner and went upfield so fast it was freakish. He ain't a small guy either.