1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

U.S. agents can seize travelers' laptops: report

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by arglebargle, Aug 1, 2008.

1. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,036 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    Does this sound all right to you? A bit open ended and abuseable?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. federal agents have been given new powers to seize travelers' laptops and other electronic devices at the border and hold them for unspecified periods the Washington Post reported on Friday.

Under recently disclosed Department of Homeland Security policies, such seizures may be carried out without suspicion of wrongdoing, the newspaper said, quoting policies issued on July 16 by two DHS agencies.

Agents are empowered to share the contents of seized computers with other agencies and private entities for data decryption and other reasons, the newspaper said.

DHS officials said the policies applied to anyone entering the country, including U.S. citizens, and were needed to prevent terrorism.

The measures have long been in place but were only disclosed in July, under pressure from civil liberties and business travel groups acting on reports that increasing numbers of international travelers had had their laptops, cellphones and other digital devices removed and examined.

The policies cover hard drives, flash drives, cell phones, iPods, pagers, beepers, and video and audio tapes -- as well as books, pamphlets and other written materials, the report said.

The policies require federal agents to take measures to protect business information and attorney-client privileged material. They stipulate that any copies of the data must be destroyed when a review is completed and no probable cause exists to keep the information.

(Reporting by Paul Eckert, editing by Alan Elsner)

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN0126069520080801?sp=true
  2. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,455 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    My guess is they're just setting up for another "comprimise" that will be hailed as this great achievement, just like what happened with FISA, to placate the masses. But what's really happening is the 4th amendment is just getting ****ed over.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,686 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    Some of you seem to forget that the terrorists are pretty sophisticated anymore and they actually know how to use computers.
  4. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received

I agree that it is getting pretty much squashed in favor of paranoid neo-con rhetorical meandering, which is like taking a shat on the Constitution.
  5. burmafrd

41,686 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    Sometimes I wonder what you libs use for brains sometimes.
  6. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,455 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    I realize discussion with you is pointless, but if the boogeymen wanted to get information (digital) across the border, they don't have to carry a computer, any electronic device, any media, or any paper with language on it to achieve it. It's much more convenient to just avoid dealing with the security theater.
  7. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,036 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    Yeah, it is not like these guys have never heard of cryptography. I bet they have good seamstressess who can sew microfilm into clothes! Lets seize suspicious clothing at the borders!

Hyperbole? Yes. It's just so weird seeing these self-proclaimed conservatives backing soviet era models for America.
    'Do you have your papers??'
  8. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Yep, like a zip drive or something like that. It's like every fear tactic ever played by neo-con crowd lends legitimate reason to violate fundamental rights.

They get sillier, and more paranoid, every day.
  9. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Laptops?? pfft. Thats nothing...suspension of Habeas Corpus, Wire taps...warrantless searches..they just ran out of stuff to take away.
  10. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received

You mean, kinda like when your bretheren tried to squash the 2nd amendment, recently?

Both suck. I wish I could exercise my 2nd amendment here and protect my property.

I'd shoot some mofos for sure if they tried to "confiscate" my property, in the name of "national security."
  11. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,281 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    So basically what you are saying is that customs does not have the right to search your baggage when you are coming though custroms, correct?
  12. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,455 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    Yes. They can search it, but it can't be used in court. They need reasonable suspicion for more "intrusive" searches (e.g., they can't strip search every person coming over the border for no reason).

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2006/10/random_laptop_s.html
  13. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,281 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    Nothing is final, that will probably see the supreme court one day.

In my opinion I see it as the same thing as searching your bags. Your laptop is mearly a bag holding your information, pictures, music, etc. When you leave the country you are giving implied consent to search your bags on your return, at least in my view. This is coming from an African American Male age 20-35 who has traveled extensively overseas.
  14. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received

What about your house? Your car? Your phone calls? Your friends and families'?
    What about detaining you indefinitely on suspicion of terrorist plotting? No attorney..no hearing. They can do all that too ya know...and your congressman more than likely voted for it.
    So..yeah..whats a laptop?

"The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly - it must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over

Joseph Goebbels
  15. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,281 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    Well they can search your car if you take it out of the country. I would never take my house out the country since it is a bit to big. This is much ado about nothing.

I know all about what the Intelligence agencies can do, as that is my profession. As far as phone calls....don't call terrorists and people won't go looking at your phone calls.

You act like the FBI is just randomly going up to people and asking for their laptop computers at Starbucks.
  16. burmafrd

41,686 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    Anything really important if the terrorist has any brains at all will not be on the laptop. HOWEVER you do get dumb terrorists a fair amount of the time.
    AND while the real important stuff may not be there, a lot of anti american stuff or links to terrorist web site, etc could very well be there. And that would tip us off to keep an eye on him. Intelligence gathering has to spread a very wide net to get much of anything at all.
  17. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,281 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    QFT....You can blame politicians for that one.
  18. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,029 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    The border agency and customs has had this right long before 9/11, they are exempt from illegal search and seizure law. 40 years ago they could and would search your brief case now everything you kept in paper form in your breif case is now kept on your laptop, I just have a problem with how long they can keep your laptop.
  19. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,434 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    terrorists use guns too Bumfard, are you in favour of having them confiscated remembering that US citizens can be terrorists too.
  20. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    1) They can search your car anytime they way if they suspect you of terrorism...without a warrant

2) Oh it can sit right there..because they can search that without a warrant too.

3) Really? You do? So you know about warrantless searches and suspension of Habeas Corpus for terrorist suspicion? You also are quite aware of the bypass of the FISA court warrant too right?
    I mean detention without a Habeas Corpus Writ is some pretty serious stuff.

4) Its not that they will or wont..its that they can...they CAN and that means you are not FREE...do you understand that? When you give away your rights..for your "safety" thats not FREEDOM. A government which has unchecked power is a very dangerous thing.