1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

UDFA's I'm interested in

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by sureletsrace, Apr 20, 2012.

1. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

1,711 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    Had this posted as a reply in my mock draft, but thought it deserved its own post.

----------------------------
    Janzen Jackson, FS, McNeese State
    - Would most likely play CB in the NFL. Would compete for the last CB spot.

Shawn Powell, P, Florida State - Excellent punter with great accuracy at pinning inside the 10 and coffin-corner punts.

Levy Adcock, OT, Oklahoma State - We need more OT depth, or at least someone to push Jeremy Parnell.

Buddy Jackson, CB, Pittsburgh - Off-the-charts measurables. Runs the 40 in the low 4.3's, and had a 11'9" broad jump at Pittsburgh's pro day. For comparison's sake, the best broad jump at the combine was 11'1".

Bryce Brown, RB, Mississippi - Was the #1 recruit in the nation out of high school, but his collegiate career was very disappointing. As a matter of fact, he was ranked as a better prospect out of high school than Trent Richardson. He rushed for 7,209 yards in HS. Unreal. I pick him up as a UDFA just to see if there is any glimmer of hope for him.

DaJohn Harris, DT, USC - 5-star prospect out of high school. He's got a PFO (patent foramen ovale) which is some sort of heart condition. He's been medically cleared to play, but has plummeted out of the top 250 prospects, where previously he was slated to go in rounds 3-5. His NFL comparison is Corey Peters. A project.

George Bryan, TE, North Carolina State - I loooove this guy. I'll just post his CBS Sports analysis.

Strengths: Has hands of glue, about as good as you'll see in the sport of football. Excels finding soft spots in zone coverage and using his large frame to shield defenders. Quality blocker. Has enough power and bend combined with good technique which consistently results in successful blocks. Productive, durable, experienced leader -- top intangibles.

Weaknesses: Is a bit high-hipped and slow to get rolling. Frame limits upside as a blocker. Isn't agile for a tight end. Might have real trouble getting open at the next level. Will have to answer questions from NFL teams about drug charges that were ultimately dropped.

NFL Comparison: Bear Pascoe, New York Giants

Ryan Miller, OT, Colorado - A very large man. 6'7", 321lbs. He's got NFL size, strength, and agility. He played OG in college, but would obviously be an OT in the NFL. He's got an extended analysis on CBSSports.com that brags on him.

Matt Conrath, DE, Virginia - Oh. My. I'd call this guy first as soon as I turned in my last draft pick. 6'8", 290lbs.

Strengths: Good quickness off snap on most plays. Is highly athletic for his size and frame. Has enough bend and hip fluidity for effective double and spin moves, and got consistent penetration from the 4-3 DT position against BCS competition. Long arms and quality hand placement add to the arsenal. Is terrific at blocking FGs, and knocks down a lot of passes too.

Weaknesses: Frame limits ability to anchor and overall power, as center of gravity is just too high, even with good knee bend, to remain at interior DL in the NFL. Frame may also limit agility needed to succeed at DE. Has a tendency to get tall if initial move fails. Needs better and stronger hand play as well as additional moves. Ends up on the ground too often.
    NFL Comparison: Calais Campbell, Arizona Cardinals

Donte Paige-Moss, OLB, North Carolina - Highly skilled athlete with lots of baggage. Give him the UDFA minimum and a chance. Has the skills of a first-round OLB.

Nicolas Jean-Baptiste, DT, Baylor - Incredible strength. Hard worker. Needs to exhibit his dominance more consistently as he can disappear at times. Another D-Line project.

William Vlachos, C, Alabama - A little short for the position at 6'1". He makes up for it with his strength, intelligence, and nastiness.
  2. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    The majority of these guys will be drafted.
  3. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wow. Nice. Good or bad, IDK? I will admit right here and now, I have NOT taken the time that you have to even begin to have a handle on all of the potential Undrafted Free Agent prospects I'd want the Cowboys to go after, or WHO ALL the group might even consist of.

Apparently, I'm a slacker. That, or you're just way more informed than I am. My compliments. Now I've got homework. I'll have to run down the info out there on many/all of the names you mentioned. Thanks a lot! :( ... LOL! ;)
  4. 151

151 Member

48 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Shawn Powell in the 7. Need another punter and if we need to, i would definitely try to swoop up one in the later rounds of the draft. Field positioning is definitely a must.
  5. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Check out Alexander Tounkara at WR. Tall guy, runs a 4.5, and has a typical story worthy of a rising udfa.
  6. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

1,711 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    Highly unlikely. the majority of these guys are slated as 7-UDFA.

Seeing as there are 40-50 players ranked higher than them in the same "7-UDFA" category, I'm sure the majority of these guys will be there.