1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Uh oh, tight end trouble

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by erod, Jul 16, 2013.

1. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,532 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    I read a story somewhere on Fishers observations. The OP here seems like it is embellishing. Think I'll wait til the pads come on before panicking but I know some like to beat the crowds. :)
  2. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,532 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    I think the biggest risk with Escobar/Hanna is not so much that our offense is doomed without them. Rather a waste of draft resources if they don't pan out. And there the primary focus will be on the 2nd round pick. Escobar was already a controversial pick. He's not going to get much grace from the fans if he fails to contribute.
    jobberone likes this.
  3. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,596 Messages
    3,338 Likes Received
    I don't disagree at all with this fair or not.
  4. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,450 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    really, we have'nt had the first day of training camp. hanna will be fine and escobar will learn to block. blocking is not about strength, it's about technique. all you have to do is keep the guy out of the play. pancaking is fun to watch but walling off a player is just as effective
  5. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Well-Known Member

1,016 Messages
    225 Likes Received
    Wow, the proverbial ledge is getting crowded earlier this year.
  6. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,352 Messages
    289 Likes Received
    The more basic objection I have to the pick ..... this team needs the ball in Dez's hands. That is how we are going to succeed. Taking two more receiving targets in the 2nd and 3rd means more mouths to feed. That is what I most disliked about the picks.
  7. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,939 Messages
    741 Likes Received

I don't even know who fisher is so I couldn't care less how positive or negative he is. I'm not going to give a whole lot of weight to his opinion based off watching people run around in shorts and helmets.
    ringmaster and 5Stars like this.
  8. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

718 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Garret has drafted really well, I have faith
    AsthmaField likes this.
  9. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,379 Messages
    1,593 Likes Received
    That is very true, and like you, I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt.
  10. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,549 Messages
    1,545 Likes Received
    Problem with writers in sports in today is that the try to make the story, instead of reporting stories. Creating something on their own perceptions and assumptions. Instead of just reporting what they know.
  11. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,814 Messages
    671 Likes Received
    Since when has Jerra given up the draft day duties? LOL. Ever thang goes through Jerra.
  12. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,735 Messages
    917 Likes Received
    They got the ball to Dez just fine last season(10th in receptions, 14th in targets) and didn't have team success( i.e. playoffs). Having better 4th, 5th and 6th receiving options on the team only helps the offense and Dez. And it doesn't only have to come from the guys drafted(Escobar, Williams and Randle). Improved play from Dwayne Harris, Cole Beasley and James Hanna will help. It will also help if DeMarco Murray and Miles Austin can staying healthy.
    jobberone likes this.
  13. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,950 Messages
    661 Likes Received
    I don't think there's enough evidence from the few OTA and minicamp practices Fisher has seen to determine this. But I wouldn't be surprised if Rosario ends up with a bigger role because of his experience vs. the growth needs for Escobar and Hanna.

We cut Vickers, so obviously Dallas believes more in the personnel it has at tight end than Fisher does.
  14. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

718 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Garret has a ton of input... Otherwise Sharif Floyd would have been our 1st rd pick
  15. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,524 Messages
    5,253 Likes Received
    Wut?
  16. jobberone

36,596 Messages
    3,338 Likes Received
    This isn't the rumor but who knows who made the call. I actually think this one was Jerry's and Stephan's call but it could have been consensus. I don't know the real truth.
  17. PhillyCowboysFan

PhillyCowboysFan Member

832 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I totally agree gimme on Fisher not having a enough of a sample rate to form his conclusion. I also question the supposed statements erod said Mike made. I searched the internet looking for Mike's podcast from when he made those comments and found nothing even close to the supposed statements that erod posted. Also, wouldn't you think that Mike would have wrote a column if he had inside info that the Boys had voiced such concerns with their TE situation?

What I believe is that erod read the following twitter post from Mike and then he highly embellished it!

Quote from the twitter posting:

There was some back and forth between Mike and other posters, but nothing was posted as to the damning statements that erod said were made by Mike.
    In fact Jason stated yesterday that he was very happy with the TE situation and that is what lead them to cutting Vickers.
  18. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,524 Messages
    5,253 Likes Received
    It was fairly apparent if you were watching on game day how everything broke down. I think iceman's pretty clearly got this one backwards. It was Garrett and Ciskowski who wanted to stick to the draft board.
  19. jobberone

36,596 Messages
    3,338 Likes Received
    I was trying to be diplomatic. :)
  20. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

718 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I was saying if Garrett and the coaching staff didn't have huge influence on who we drafted Jerry would have made a pick that didn't make a lot of sense... I just used Floyd as an example.