1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Unlikely, but possible scenario...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TXCowboyVol, Feb 8, 2012.

1. TXCowboyVol

TXCowboyVol Active Member

324 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Jenkins, Ingram, Kirkpatrick, DeCastro, Coples all slide to 14...who we taking??
  2. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,490 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    DeCastro.
  3. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,128 Messages
    1,346 Likes Received
    Heck no, Griffin from Baylor...:) One can't replace Tony Romo too soon.:rolleyes:

I'd fire, without more than a hipshot, for Coples. A strong guard/center can be attained in round two, or three.
  4. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,369 Messages
    765 Likes Received
    Coples and it isnt even close

id turn that card in so fast
  5. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,095 Messages
    454 Likes Received
    It is between DeCastro and Coples. Depending on what we do in FA I would go Coples.
  6. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,572 Messages
    1,429 Likes Received
    Coples mailed it in this year. Already got enough of those guys on the roster.
  7. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,128 Messages
    1,346 Likes Received
    He already knows how to explode on a play. In the NFL, that will be turned back on...
  8. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,569 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    DeCastro even if we sign Grubbs or Nicks in FA. I want a strong OL that will protect Romo so he has time to get the ball to our playmakers. Also our running game will vastly improve which means we can keep the ball away from other teams. Can't score if don't have the ball.
  9. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,709 Messages
    620 Likes Received
    Mailed it in and still generated 7.5 sacks. Played out of of position at DT last season and collected 10 sacks.

Cowboys need this kind of "slacker".
  10. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,109 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Coples.
  11. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    DeCastro

With the way the OL played, I wouldn't be too happy to pass on a guy as highly touted as he is.
  12. GroundUp

GroundUp Member

218 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Considering the depth at the position I'd go with Coples, there aren't many pass rushers that I'm sold on in this draft and I believe we go O-line in FA.
  13. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,503 Messages
    589 Likes Received
    Right now (right now), I would probably go with DeCastro first, Jenkins second, then Ingram.

DeCastro is precisely what the O-Line needs and the type of player the team needs. He is smart and can run any type of scheme (zone or power ahead). He was dominant at Stanford for the last two seasons so the body of work is there. He is passionate about football. That is important. Like Tyron Smith last season, you simply cannot lose by drafting this kid. A first year starter that will instantly upgrade the line. No downside to his game, character or attitude.

Jenkins is very, very intriguing. He might even be first on my list of not for those troubles at UF. He has been a model citizen at North Alabama and he says he has stopped hanging around the bad influences. He "seems" to get it now. Plus, he is precisely what Dallas needs to combat The Eagles and Giants WRs. Fluid hips and the speed to stick with the receivers that the Giants and Eagles put out on the field. His addition would go a long way in giving the D-line more time to get to the QB. Those issues at UF prevent him from being the first choice. I hope the kid does well at the combine with his interviews. I want him to clean up his act and become a Dallas great.

Ingram is going to be a playmaker in the NFL. I really believe that. He plays with intensity and has one of those high motors that does not shut off until the play is done. I watched him more than any of the other players and the dude simply took over games at times. He was a one man wrecking crew against Auburn. 18 sacks the last two seasons. Great hands for a guy his size and the quicks to go with his power. He would at least be as good as Spencer in coverage but with better hands. He would be an upgrade as a pass-rusher over Spencer. He was banged up mid-season in 2011 and still notched 8.5 sacks with two interceptions. He also plays special teams and had a fake punt run for a touchdown against Georgia. Good catalog of moves and sheds blockers well. He would complement D-Ware better than any player Dallas currently has on their roster.

Kirkpatrick is an incomplete at the moment. The driver said the weed was his, but I would to if the guy sitting next to me was my cash cow of the future. The law says he is free from charges, so I can't condemn him, but I am interested in seeing if anything else comes out prior to the draft (including if he tests clean at the combine and how he interviews).

Coples, no. This team needs players that play hard every snap and Coples is just not that guy. Dallas simply does not have the type of leaders in the lockerrroom to set him straight when he checks out of games. Plus, Mike Adams and Mitchell Schwatrz really stoned him in the Senior Bowl. That is the type of talent that he will face in the league each week. He would not be an upgrade over Spencer unless there were strong leaders on this football team to put him in his place and show him how to work each day. His deficiencies are simply not a good match with the players that are on this roster.
  14. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,971 Messages
    874 Likes Received
    Agree with NO on Coples. Too many players like that already on the team. Between Ingram and Decastro for me...Think I'll go with Decastro
  15. CowboyHawg2012

CowboyHawg2012 New Member

65 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My wish list:
    1. David Decastro G Stanford
    2. Casey Heyward CB Vandy (love, love his ballhawk skills and he plays physical)
    3. Josh Chapman NT Bama ( the NT from the #1 defense in the land and allows JRat to move outside and comes from NFL style D? yes pls)
    4. Joe Adams WR Arky (special teams stud plus a very underated reciever prospect.
  16. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Obviously, either (a) you did not watch Ingram or (b) you have never watched Spencer. Because your statement is completely ridiculous and false.

Spencer is a better pass rusher than Ingram. Spencer was more productive in college and got more sacks. Spencer has better athleticism. Spencer did better in the pre-draft process (and will have better Combine numbers once Ingram does it). All the scouting reports about Spencer talked about his explosion off the ball and his elite pass-rushing skills. With Ingram the book is he is slow to react and no one says he has elite or plus pass-rushing skills. There is absolutely no objective basis from which to conclude that Ingram would be more productive than Spencer. All of the objective evidence indicates the contrary.

Drafting Ingram to replace Spencer is a waste of the 14th pick because the defense gets worse by playing Ingram instead of Spencer. The smarter thing to do is improve at Guard, CB or D-line where the team would be better when we draft someone at 14.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    a lot will depend on what Spencer agent is asking for. I don't dislike the guys but he is not producing. Hell Greg Ellis was a lot more productive working opposite of Ware. Spencer was suppose to be an upgrade to Ellis he has not been that. If Spencer can be resigned at a reasonable cost fine but if he is looking for top dollar then Dallas should let him walk
  18. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,921 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Coples and it isn't close. I've been on the trade up and get Coples train. I think he might be top five pic though.
  19. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Spencer is an upgrade over Ellis, once you realize that a SOLB has value beyond sack totals. A SOLB in a 3-4 is not all about pass rushing.

I'd like to see Spencer get more sacks and think he is capable of it, but he has been ok. He has been very good in the other responsibilities of a SOLB.

Obviously it is correct to say that if he demands a crazy contract, we shouldn't give him one. But he deserves to be paid like a solid starting OLB.

I don't think many of you realize that it is going to be very difficult to improve on Spencer. As a 3-4 SOLB, there are just a handful of guys who are better than him, and none of those guys are available or affordable. Certainly no one in this draft will be an improvement on Spencer.

The smarter thing to do, if he is reasonable, is to keep Spencer and look to improve the lines. It will be substantially easier to improve at DE and NT than it will be to improve on Spencer. We should look in Free Agency and the Draft to improve the DL and that will help on the pass rush.

But if you think letting Spencer walk and plugging in Ingram or Upshaw will make this team better, I think you are in for a rude awakening when you realize we are no better (and possibly worse) at SOLB and were not able to improve at OG or DL with that first round pick. That's a bad draft.
  20. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,742 Messages
    1,226 Likes Received
    If we wound up with Grubbs or more importantly Nicks and then this happened I wouldn't be upset, in the least, to go after Coples.

If not then I'd want DeCastro without a doubt.