1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Recap: Update: Stephen Jones conference call...Post #5 and #15 and #67

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jazzcat22, May 13, 2014.

1. bark

bark Well-Known Member

1,882 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    Good to hear they are working on some ideas for improving the running game/ ball control. And I saw the words play action.
  2. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

2,779 Messages
    940 Likes Received
    You seem to think everything the Cowboys do is a mistake. So why am I not surprised at this post.
  3. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

7,820 Messages
    609 Likes Received

I know you posted this before I did post #15. Stephen said Jerningan was not in the mix to select.
  4. VThokie7

VThokie7 Well-Known Member

1,948 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    Hopefully by "better version of Ogletree" he also means smarter. How that guy still didn't understand his assignments or routes after that many years in the system is still mind boggling to me.
    Chocolate Lab likes this.
  5. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,511 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    Street: If he is as focused about this being a job and he needs to get to work as he suggested in the post draft interview with 105.3, then this kid may be a player. Irvin showed it wasn't about foot speed as much as determination. I look forward to seeinjg this player grow.

Running game, ball control, time of possession. This is how this team will win.

Keep the ball away from the other guy - requires controlling the Dallas turnover.

Win the time of possession, and the larger the gap between Dallas and their opponent the better, and this directly addresses the win column.

Run to set up the pass. This makes the receivers better and protects Romo and his back.

If for no other reasons, these give hope.

But then there is that schedule which will determine everything.
    MichaelWinicki and 5Stars like this.
  6. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,508 Messages
    747 Likes Received
    I don't have the slightest clue what your talking about. I think choosing Martin in the 1st was a good choice under the circumstances in round 1. Much better than choosing Manziel.

Looks like they made a decent pick in street and hopefully a couple of the 7th rounders will be keepers. So I don't know where you are coming from.

I also think choosing another guard in the 3rd round would have been a mistake given the holes on this defense. But they gave it up to grab Lawrence. He will ned to be a 10-12 sack guy to be worth a 2nd and 3rd round pick. Will he? We'll see.

Carry on.
    Boom likes this.
  7. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

2,779 Messages
    940 Likes Received
    Most of your posts are negative is where I'm coming from.
  8. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

2,683 Messages
    965 Likes Received
    Not happy about us seemingly keeping 3 QBs. Roster spot more valuable elsewhere, IMO.
  9. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,155 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    I don't think Orton will be on the team. Last year he was at these voluntary camps, this year, he's not. Something is going on.
  10. Noryb

Noryb Member

512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    For the OL to be set for 10yrs Leary would have to be a part of that equation, which means they would have moved Martin to RT.
  11. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

7,820 Messages
    609 Likes Received
    I think one of Street's stong points in college was his route running ability. So yes, this points to being smarter.
    He did mention he should be a "Romo friendly" WR
    I forgot that part.
  12. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

2,683 Messages
    965 Likes Received
    He gets 3mil if hes shows up. I'm guessing he'll be there.
  13. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,775 Messages
    113 Likes Received
    Nice recap with lots of good info.

I predict there's going to be a 20 page thread soon on Hitchins vs Bradford.
  14. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Depending on how everything shakes out at QB, I'd consider Weeden as the primary back-up to Romo, and maybe put a guy like Vaughn on the PS. Weeden would have to show this pre-season though.

Also, I can't say I'm surprised if Spencer starts on PUP either (as per S Jones' comments).
    visionary likes this.
  15. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

9,976 Messages
    1,131 Likes Received
    Right or wrong, I really think that the team feels like it can get just about what they would get out of Jernigan with Ken Bishop. I know I will get pummeled for that opinion, but honestly, I think that's how the team views it.

As for Ealy, I was definitely not a big fan pre-draft. If the Non-trade version of the draft was Martin, Ealy, Turner... then I am even more glad about Martin/Lawrence.
  16. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,049 Messages
    1,903 Likes Received
    If the Cowboys would have selected Ealy, then the left DE spot would have been Selvie and Mincey (shudder).
    jazzcat22 and BigStar like this.
  17. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,610 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    Has anybody asked why didn't they take Bridgewater or any other QB ? Or is this all about the perception that JJ has to make a splash and he couldn't possibly pass on a shinny object like Manziel?

Other Deion Sanders, what splashes has he made? It's not like he signs big name free agents every year. He hasn't drafted a QB in the first round since Aikman. Since 1990, he's drafted one RB in the first round. Felix Jones at 22. Since 1991, he's only drafted one WR in the first round. Dez at 25. Dude has drafted a safety higher than any skill player in the last 20+ years! Steve young was right... Perception is worst than reality.. People believe perceptions
    Zordon likes this.
  18. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,666 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Yes thank you !!
  19. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,106 Messages
    2,955 Likes Received
    Reports are that he is angling for a pay raise.

The Cowboys are countering by hyping Weeden.
  20. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,739 Messages
    1,169 Likes Received
    lol Orton wants a pay raise? For what? Maybe he thinks that he will have to play more this season because of Romo's back.