1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Upshaw ILB | Hightower OLB

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SDogo, Jan 4, 2012.

1. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I got a chance to speak to a few scouts who were in location preparing for the LSU/Alabama game and was told that a majority of 3-4 teams liked Upshaw at ILB and Hightower at OLB, opposite of what they played.

They feel Hightower is the better pass rusher of the two and his skill set can be better utilized as a OLB and with Upshaw he has better size for the ILB position and does not have the explosion or quickness to excel as a outside pass rusher in the NFL.

I just found this interesting because I have vocally questioned Upshaws rush skills in the NFL but this makes perfect sense. It's not exactly a huge move for either being that Hightower has basically flipped positions every year and Upshaw was moved from ILB early on.

IMO, it can do nothing but boost their stock and will be something to keep an eye on if they both participate in the Combine and Upshaw in the Senior Bowl.
  2. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,928 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    i said the other day that Upshaw is not btter at rushing the qb than Spencer. He just doesnt have any closing speed imo.

Not sure how i'd view Hightower outside but thanks for the info man.
    Irvin is the best OLB for our pressure scheme imo.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,214 Messages
    1,336 Likes Received
    what kind of sack numbers do you think Hightower can give us?
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,678 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    I'd heard that about Hightower but news to me on Upshaw moving to ILB. He's got a lot of weight on him for that position.
  5. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,609 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    So, say we take a guy like DeCastro in the first. Would Hightower be there when we pick in the 2nd, and if he is, would you pull the trigger on him? Or is he more a 3-4 round guy?
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,678 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    I've seen him rated as a late first to 2nd guy at ILB, at OLB, I have no idea but I'm guessing a team would take him at ILB before a team had the opportunity to take him to play OLB, if that makes any sense.
  7. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If they both can play OLB and ILB they can create matchup problems for an offense. If they are versitle enough, the right Def Coord will have a field day designing blitzes for them. The only question I have, can either carry a TE on a seam route and be aware enough to cover crossing routes in a zone scheme.

The ILB plays a huge role in the passing game. One of the reasons that our def has been horrible lately (among other things) is the ILB inabilty to cover the flats. If you are asking your CB to play man, and you have OLBs that rush, the ILB (on the weakside) has to cover the flats and limit the play to a 2-3 yard gain. Neither Brady nor Brook can cover a FB let alone a RB out of the backfield.
  8. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,696 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    Very intriguing info. ESP ifDeCastro and Kirkpatrick are off the board.

Thanks forthe share, Sdogo.
  9. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

2,952 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    Really like your FA and Draft plan from your sig. I am actually hoping and praying Burfict's conduct and questions push him to us in the second round though. Especially if we can get one of the corners you suggested and Griffin.

I would also like to see what Josh Thomas can do with a real secondary coach and a healthy offseason.
  10. cowboysfan31

cowboysfan31 Active Member

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Thomas was picked up by Carolina after we cut him, and they kept him on their active roster.
  11. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

2,952 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    Damn, sounds about right for how things go in our secondary. Kept high priced garbage and let cheap potential go.
  12. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Active Member

416 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    By chance, would these scouts work for a certain team of silver and blue with an owner who thinks he's a General Manager? Huh, huh, huh? :laugh1:

I didn't realize Hightower has played OLB. I've always felt his instincts were tops but wasn't interested in using another high pick on ILB. Thanks.