1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Upshaw--No Longer A Target?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SDogo, Mar 30, 2012.

1. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Got word today the Cowboys interest in Upshaw has really soured.

Word is his approach to the draft process seems to have favored teams running a 4-3 looking for a DE and Upshaw himself was given the advice to gain some weight after struggling in several drills.

Given that he showed up at his pro day at 279 pounds it seems he has taken that advice and ran with it.
  2. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,871 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    Good, I think at the right weight he can be what Spencer has been for us, maybe a bit better, but not enough that I would replace Spencer with him.
  3. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    The sad part is that he isn't even a great athlete for a DE. Brockers has a better vertical.

I'm glad that he is off our radar.
  4. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,478 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    I'm glad I was never a fan of upshaw even when he won MVP for the nation championship game
  5. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,604 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Yeah, hopefully this thought process continues as he wasn't really the guy carrying Bama's D the whole season.
  6. cbow44

cbow44 Member

594 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Thats a shame, I really liked Upshaw. But when your 6'1" and 280 it really limits your options. Someone gave him some bad advice.
  7. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,964 Messages
    1,714 Likes Received
    Bill Jones said the same thing the other night.

Not sure how to feel. Never really cared either way about the guy.
  8. ragingbull2488

ragingbull2488 Member

81 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So narrowed down to either Mark Barron or Kirkpatrick. I wonder which one they select.
  9. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,092 Messages
    29 Likes Received

Doesn't surprise me. After looking at him in the Senior Bowl drills, I didn't see any natural pass rushing skills. I really don't know what to make of him ( if I was a personnel director ). I've gone as far as thinking outside the box and entertaining the idea of moving him inside to DT so he can shoot the gaps, perhaps, take advantage of the quickness he'll have against OGs.. Perhaps a poor man's version of Russell Maryland. For that to happen, though, he'd have to go to Buffalo, where Dave Wanstead's system would use him that way. Maybe Chicago, or Tampa, but Buffalo doesn't need him in the 1st round after signing Mario Williams, and Tampa sure as heck won't spend the #5 on him.

I see him slidding big time.
  10. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I would put the odds at 50% it will be one of those two at this point and going up.
  11. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,092 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    right.. I should have stuck to my guns with Barron when I first mocked him back in January.. :D

Still, if I had to pick between the 2, I think I'd go with Kirkpatrick. I like Barron, but the Cowboys need the cover guy more..
  12. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Not to late, just recycle it! lol
  13. scrives

scrives Member

197 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Sdogo, between the following who would you say is number one on DC board?
    can you list them in order?

Brockers
    Cox
    Decastro
    Konz
    Barron
    Kirkpatrick
    Gilmore
  14. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    The problem with Kirkpatrick is many people aren't convinced he has the movement skills to play at corner. If this is true he is then a project to convert to safety and I don't want a project in the first round.

I'd really rather have Barron as I know he'll be a good starter. I'm not convinced he has much upside, though.

I'd take him if he were the next Brian Dawkins let alone Reed/Polamalu. He clearly isn't going to be an Earl Thomas or an Eric Berry. I'd like this selection a lot more if we traded back into the mid 20s for him.

It is kind of sad but I almost seem to like many of the players most of the mocks have coming off the board at the end of the first than the middle of the first. I do like Kuechly but we have 3 young ILBs on the roster already so he probably won't add much to our defense.
  15. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,406 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    SDogo any way we sniff at Gilmore at 14? or not a chance?
  16. poost

poost Member

626 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Is it possible to maybe target both Kirkpatrick and Barron?
  17. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,777 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    If the Cowboys go OLB in the first round, they need someone more versatile than Upshaw especially if they keep Spencer this year. They need someone who will have more of an impact this year than just a substitute for Spencer to justify a first round selection. Ingram or Hightower would seem to be players that could play other roles in the defense, and could play with Ware and Spencer in certain situations.
  18. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,129 Messages
    1,986 Likes Received
    :flagwave:
  19. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great bass players Staff Member

35,463 Messages
    2,803 Likes Received
    I don't like Barron. We just don't need another in the box safety. If he can cover exceptionally well then I'll eat crow and be happy to if we draft him. I'm starting to warm to Gilmore after a trade down. I still think they should take someone at 14. There will be a player there IMO. If they drop down there will be plenty of options.
  20. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,137 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    Don't like either. Can't justify taking a #4 corner at 14 and Barron reminds me too much of roy31.