1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Upshaw will be the pick

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by DBOY3141, Mar 28, 2012.

1. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Melvin Ingram has demonstrated the athletic ability to drop into coverage. This is critical to the SOLB position. Ingram should be able to rush from the edge, drop into coverage, rush from inside at linebacker, or rush from DT in pass rush situations. Ingram has a proven sudden burst to his game, and if used correctly, he could be a good pressure player. Ingram has pass rushing moves in his game, too.

In contrast, Courtney Upshaw has to prove that he is athletic enough to drop into coverage and play in space according to Mike Lombardi. This is important, because Upshaw doesn't possess the sudden burst of quickness that Melvin Ingram demonstrates when he closes in on the ball. Also, Mike Lombardi stated that bigger offensive tackles in the SEC engulfed Upshaw, so he has some concerns about Upshaw's transition into the NFL. Upshaw doesn't look like a player that you can rush constantly, because of his skill set as a pass rusher. Upshaw is a pure power player. If he can't play in space and drop into coverage, 34 teams should be concerned about that. This is a player who really needs to workout good, so teams know where they can play him.

The only strong outside linebacker that the Cowboys should consider drafting in round 1 should be Melvin Ingram, imso. Ingram could be used in a variety of ways and be a real Joker and give you pass rush.
  2. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,932 Messages
    2,086 Likes Received
    We're already getting that from Spencer. Why use a first round pick to get the same production?
  3. cbow44

cbow44 Member

598 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Dont compare Upshaw to Spencer, compare him to Justin Tuck. Saying that I'm not sure how he would perform in coverage as a OLB in a 34.
  4. The Realist

The Realist Well-Known Member

3,738 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    I've gone from hating all the D players in 1st round around 14 to loving Upshaw.

Mean, smart, nasty, leader with production and comes in with very, very easy learning curve vs. most 3-4 OLB's.

Reminds me a little of Woodley.
  5. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,364 Messages
    1,111 Likes Received
    Me too.

Upshaw is the kind of pick that a team like Pittsburgh or New England makes, and when the guy becomes a pro bowler and Nick Perry is out of the league, everyone looks around and wonders how they missed on him.

Strong, leader, produced in college.

Passing on him for someone who has the numbers but not the intangibles is one of those draft blunders that people committ every year.
  6. woods74

woods74 Member

40 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Izzy Gould‏@IzzyGould

Alabama employee says Bill Belichick is attending today's pro day.

Josh Norris‏@JoshNorrisReply

Courtney Upshaw first unofficial Pro Day forty: 4.81

I see the Woodley/Upshaw comparisons too....but I see them in Melvin Ingram too..
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

15,214 Messages
    1,751 Likes Received
    Somebody tell me where this guy plays. At 280 pounds with a 4.8 forty and lousy 3 cone, and stiff in drills, where do you put him in a 3-4? If they played a 4-3 I could see him being very effective as a LDE in a Tony Tolbert role. With the current defensive set up, I dont see where he fits, dont think he can cover either.
  8. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,912 Messages
    1,227 Likes Received
    Bill Jones says Upshaw will not be the pick
  9. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,461 Messages
    577 Likes Received
    I agree with this. It's been said here several times that Upshaw won't be a significant upgrade from Spencer. If the two are close in talent, then take Spencer and add mean, smart, good leader, high motor, and that sounds like an upgrade. All the things that Spencer gets criticized for, it sounds like Upshaw has in spades. I'd be happy with him.
  10. The Realist

The Realist Well-Known Member

3,738 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    What I also like about taking Upshaw in 1 is you can still get 2 of Jones/Brewtser, and possibly Zeitler or another decent guard prospect later.

1) Upshaw OLB

2) Crick DE

3) Brewster C

4a) Brooks G

or

1) Upshaw OLB

2) Minnifield CB

3) Brewster C

4a) Egnew TE

4b) Brooks G
  11. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,888 Messages
    3,171 Likes Received
    Yea, the guy just doesnt fit this defense so I think the odds of us taking him at 14 or pretty low.

If we go defense at 14 I am thinking Dre Kirkpatrick.
  12. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jerry's brother?
  13. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,417 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Yeah, I agree 100%
  14. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,164 Messages
    529 Likes Received

If we spend the #14 pick on something we already have just so we can save some money i'm gonna rage.
    Why even tag Spencer if you're just gonna blow a 1st on a OLB anyways? that cap money could have been useful in getting us some help in FA before it was picked dry. Not to mention all the other bigger needs we have

This would be a stupid pick
  15. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

33,621 Messages
    3,841 Likes Received
    Agreed.

I would rather see a Dlineman or DeCastro.
  16. StarHead69

StarHead69 Active Member

1,345 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Upshaw reminds me of Brandon Spikes, who went at #62 to the Patriots.

When you consistently have a gazillion picks in the first three rounds, and are a perennial Super Bowl contender.. you can afford to take a swing on an effort guy LATE in the 2nd round.
  17. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

62,468 Messages
    5,979 Likes Received
    I agree.

However that does not mean they think he is the same as Spencer. They might see him in various roles and they could see him as an upgrade to Spencer.

Again I agree with you, but what we think and what they think might be different.

I am with the opinion of the lovable Mr Winicki that i would rather go O-Line or D-Line or a different player or position as I just don't see it with Upshaw.

However If moving down, gaining extra picks, and then taking him and another good player...I think that would lessen the blow for me.
  18. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,541 Messages
    468 Likes Received
    I agree that Upshaw is meaner and more of a leader than Spencer, but he's also not as good of an athlete. In fact he's not as good of an athlete as Lamar Woodley either. I just don't see how going from Spencer to Upshaw makes the team that much better, I really hope he's not the pick.
  19. dstew60105

dstew60105 Active Member

1,777 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Upshaw will not be the pick. Maybe if he falls to late first and we trade up from our # 2 to take him.