1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Upshaw?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Sasquatch, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,489 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    In his most recent mock, Pat Kirwin has the boys taking Upshaw. Is he still in the conversation either at #14 or a trade down?

CBS Sports
  2. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,906 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    I'd consider him at #45.
  3. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I don't think Upshaw is a consideration at 14.

With a trade down or in Round 2, quite possibly.
  4. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,239 Messages
    2,873 Likes Received
    I don't see it.

With Spencer signing his tender there are greater needs on the team.

And Upshaw's physical skills don't scream "3-4 OLB".
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,281 Messages
    3,021 Likes Received
    I like Upshaw I agree 14 may be too early but I think he is a heck of a ball player

Alabama head coach Nick Saban predicts that Upshaw can play outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense or "put his hand in the dirt and play defensive end" in the NFL. Based on his play in college, regardless of where Upshaw lines up he will probably wind up in a quarterback's mug. Used as an edge rusher, sometimes as the Tide's so-called "Jack" linebacker and sometimes as an end, Upshaw thrashes blockers with great hand and arm action and shows ample speed and agility to find his way into the offensive backfield. He has instincts beyond that of a pure pass rusher, with an uncommon awareness for draws, screens, counters and reverses. Although he was not asked to drop into coverage ...
    often at Alabama, he has a fluid athleticism that may allow him to adapt to such a demand. In Alabama's 49-7 thrashing of Michigan State in last year's Capital One Bowl, Upshaw was voted MVP after a pair of sacks, five tackles (three for a loss) and a forced fumble. Upshaw benched 225 pounds 22 times at the Combine and like several teammates at Alabama's March 7 Pro Day, deferred a full workout until March 29.

Analysis
    Read and react: Essentially asked to pin his ears back and rush the passer as a weak-side defensive end in the Tide's scheme, though he shows enough play recognition to project as a linebacker. Feels screens coming and locates the running back. Run defense: More stout at the point of attack when run at than you'd expect, given his lack of ideal size as a hybrid defensive end in Bama's scheme. Plays with excellent pad level and has very good upper- and lower-body strength to anchor. Uses his impressive swim move and quick, heavy hands to slap away the blocker's attempts at getting into his chest, showing the ability to disengage quickly. Good lateral agility to slip past the blocker ...
  6. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've changed my mind on Courtney Upshaw.

Upshaw has explosive power, so he has a major strength. He is mean and has a high motor, too. I think he is down to 270 now, too. I think Upshaw would upgrade the team's pass rush by using pure power and determination and pure nastiness. He's a football player who would bring a winning attitude, too.
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,926 Messages
    2,154 Likes Received
    The Dallas Morning News had a article making a case for him today as well.
  8. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I think he's a possibility in a trade down scenario, but would be surprised to see the Cowboys take him at #14.
  9. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,384 Messages
    4,945 Likes Received
    Upshaw is short with short arms and has sub-par agility. Also, you would think that a 280 pounder with T-Rex arms could muster up more than 22 bench press reps.

[IMG]
  10. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    No, Upshaw will be a Bengal.