1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

URGENT: Senate reviewing how college football picks No. 1

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by trickblue, Mar 26, 2009.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,652 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Link

Senate reviewing how college football picks No. 1
    By FREDERIC J. FROMMER – 18 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) —
    Everyone from President Barack Obama on down to fans has criticized how college football determines its top team. Now senators are getting off the sidelines to examine antitrust issues involving the Bowl Champion Series.

The current system "leaves nearly half of all the teams in college football at a competitive disadvantage when it comes to qualifying for the millions of dollars paid out every year," the Senate Judiciary's subcommittee on antitrust, competition policy and consumer rights said in a statement Wednesday announcing the hearings.

Under the BCS, some conferences get automatic bids to participate in series, while others do not.

Obama and some members of Congress favor a playoff-type system to determine the national champion. The BCS features a championship game between the two top teams in the BCS standings, based on two polls and six computer ratings.

Behind the push for the hearings is the subcommittee's top Republican, Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah. People there were furious that Utah was bypassed for the national championship despite going undefeated in the regular season.

The title game pitted No. 1 Florida (12-1) against No. 2 Oklahoma (12-1); Florida won 24-14 and claimed the title.

The subcommittee's statement said Hatch would introduce legislation "to rectify this situation." No details were offered and Hatch's office declined to provide any.

Hatch said in a statement that the BCS system "has proven itself to be inadequate, not only for those of us who are fans of college football, but for anyone who believes that competition and fair play should have a role in collegiate sports."

In the House, Rep. Joe Barton of Texas, the top Republican on the Energy and Commerce Committee, has sponsored legislation that would prevent the NCAA from calling a football game a "national championship" unless the game culminates from a playoff system.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

73,858 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    WHY!!!!! Leave the sports up to others and deal with this nations major problems which is not college or pro football or is this baseball player or that one taking steroids. These are not the issue that congress needs to deal with that is not why people elected them to office
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

33,213 Messages
    920 Likes Received
    I agree Dooms.

People want to know what's wrong with America, well, this is what's wrong. The BCS, as screwed up as it is, is not the major concern in our Country today.
  4. Royal Laegotti

Royal Laegotti Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!

4,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    These bureacrats just can't wait to get their slimy pathetic tentacles into every aspect of life.
  5. Doomsday101

73,858 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    I agree sports is entertainment we watch it because we enjoy it or we do not watch it because we think it sucks. Government should have no role at all when it comes sports or any other trivial matters, deal with the nation’s problems that is their jobs
  6. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can see how this would be relevant to a Senate subcommittee on antitrust, competition policy and consumer rights.

But it does seem like there should be bigger fish to fry.
  7. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,401 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    ok, and the last sentence, a repub from texas, says about the most stupid thing i've heard in quite a long time from any aspect of our government.
  8. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,520 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    I'm curious if you guys think Government shouldn't play a role in gambling either, since that's also a form of entertainment.
  9. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Having solved all other problems......
  10. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Finally on to a subject that matters!
  11. Doomsday101

73,858 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    I think Gambling within a state should be left up to the people of that state. Then again I believe is strong states rights to govern themselves
  12. the fake norm hitzges

the fake norm hitzges New Member

186 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know I will sleep better tonight knowing our great fearless leaders of the United States congress will be using their valuable time solving the major problems of college football.I mean,Heck....Look at all the good they did in solving the baseball strike.

sarcasm off....
  13. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

18,862 Messages
    382 Likes Received
    The government has no business getting involved in this. :(
  14. iceberg

27,401 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    very few things make me feel as dirty as agreeing with you...

i need a bath.
  15. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :bang2:

Republican or Democrat, this is just absurd.

In the grand scheme of things this isn't a pimple on a gnats rear end compared to the other issues we face.
  16. iceberg

27,401 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    and it's a great example of how we're letting our government get too far into our daily lives.