1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Valley Ranch is a Mess

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by HoustonFrog, Jan 16, 2013.

1. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,052 Messages
    665 Likes Received
    Wow. Seems like some pretty normal coaching staff changes after a couple of .500 seasons.
  2. egn22

egn22 Active Member

816 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    the 8-8 part was the mess to me. all of the other stuff we're seeing now is a result of the media providing fodder for cowboys fans. i don't think its a mess, i think its more like change you would expect after a team consistently under performs.

Personally, i've wanted us to switch to a 4-3 for a long time now, and I'm excited about the switch.

I've wanted Jason to relinquish play calling duties for a long time, and its looking like this is about to happen.

I've wanted to see what Ratliff could do in a system that doesn't require him to line up over the center and this looks like it could happen.

I don't want to lose Spencer and we're in negotiations with him right now.

If we somehow decide to draft a few solid o linemen, and a safety, and maybe sign a decent free agent for one of our positions of need, I will give the off season an A.

A mess to me would be if we kept everything the same and doubled down on the same losing strategies that got us here. Sometimes I think the media try too hard to convince the fans that the world is coming to an end and that the Cowboys are in trouble. We're still competing, and we're still positioning ourselves to make a playoff run. we just need to get over the hump, and hopefully some of these changes will get us there.

I know Jerry as GM.... blah blah blah, he's terrible, he's horrible, he's an idiot.... blah blah blah, but he's our GM and isn't going anywhere.
  3. CIWhitefish

CIWhitefish Member

785 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    You can do the same thing from a negative perspective...

Jerrah as GM should be fired

Romo can't win a must win game...CHOKER!

RHG can't coach a paper bag to fold

Point I'm making is the truth is in the middle. Things aren't all sunshine and roses but things aren't completely falling apart either. Every single move Dallas makes does not have to be either the best or the worst.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,113 Messages
    4,033 Likes Received
    How many years in a row are we going to sit around and watch how moves get made in the NFL, look at half the picture, and conclude that it's the team that's clueless when the reality is that the changes are in process and we just have to wait to see what the plan actually is in the first place?

We go through this with the coaching changes. We go through it with veteran free agency. We go through it with college free agency. Each time, the team's plan becomes clear and we realize we were complaining for no reason other than we didn't know in advance what they were up to. Countless threads about how we don't have a plan, when, in reality, we always--obviously--do.

Just sit tight and see what happens. Then, complain all you want. You guys aren't going to like whatever the plan is, anyway, and you've got a long off season to tell us about it.
  5. egn22

egn22 Active Member

816 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    exactly. and when the first kickoff is about to take place, everyone is right there watching. pom poms in hand, with real hopes that Monte Kiffin will turn this unit into the 1992 Cowboys.
    I'm already in full support of Monte just because of the age bias everyone in the media has toward him.
  6. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,655 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Amen!
  7. MathewSK81

MathewSK81 Member

85 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    This.

I get to see a real mess up close here in Arizona.
  8. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,873 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    1) I didn't use the word clueless...I said its a mess

2) As for a plan in place...that was my point. At this time you have to wonder what plan was in place. The dominos started to fall with the Skins loss. IMO..which is what this board is for..I just think this is more piecemeal than really thought out...like hiring Garrett before Wade. I'm not seeing the rhyme or reason.

As I have always said, if it works out, great. If not, well, we saw it coming. It's not like I'm going all doom and gloom. Just seems messy.

As for your last sentence..that mindset here is getting old quick. There is such thing as having an independent, objective view without being so far on one side or another. You can actually step back and view the landscape without being a homer one way or another. As I've said, I'm middle of the road with Jerry, like Romo and don't like Garrett so its not like I'm in some mold of just being a contrarian. It would make the board much more enjoyable...as stated in the new rules...if people just read, gave an opinion and did so without labeling.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,095 Messages
    1,627 Likes Received
    I think people are making it messy because they don't know what is going on. We fired Rob and hired Kiffin how is that a mess? I don't see it as piece meal when a team fires a coordinator and it is likely Kiffin will want to bring in some of his guys again nothing piece meal about that.

As for some of the other things being talked about they are still only rumors
  10. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,348 Messages
    366 Likes Received
    Well it's not golf or tennis. Jerry is the only one left. He has done this fly by the seat of your pants thing routinely, whether it's drafting, Hiring Coaches or signing players.
  11. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,655 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    These folks on CZ just gotta gripe/complain..... that's what they do. :laugh2:
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,113 Messages
    4,033 Likes Received
    1. Substitute the phrase 'a mess' for 'clueless' in my original post, if you prefer that.

2. And my point is that I believe you're drawing a silly conclusion. You're confusing seeing only the first part of the plan with there not being a plan at all. Time will tell which of us is right. I can think of situations---like when Parcells left us shorthanded--where we actually didn't have a plan. In those cases, we saw a flurry of activity out of VR as Jerry tried to decide what to do. Right now, we're getting very little and seeming to do nothing. Does that really seem like a Jerry Jones way of doing things to you? I'd bet heavily that there's a plan in place of some sort.

And as for my last sentence...please. You're stretching painfully if what you think I'm saying is that a forum should not be a place for discussion and criticism. Review a few of my more recent posts if you care to see that I believe there's plenty to be critical of with this team. I don't believe you can possibly confuse that notion with the fact that what I said was that, no matter what this team does there's going to be plenty of complaining about it. Heck, I didn't even say people shouldn't complain, because we don't know what the plan is yet. But if we can't make a rational distinction between constructive criticism and mindless complaining, we're in pretty bad shape as a community here. Or don't you agree?
  13. Trajan

Trajan Active Member

668 Messages
    63 Likes Received
    I think it looks like a mess to fans because they do know what is going on, people have a decade and half to draw from. Jerry is making this up as he goes, I personally don't think there is any sort of long term plan.

Expectations are low though, so if it somehow works, awesome !
  14. Doomsday101

75,095 Messages
    1,627 Likes Received
    I guess. An offensive or defensive coordinator getting fired in the NFL??????? Say ain't so. :laugh2:

Dallas has hired a DC in Kiffin and I'm sure over the next couple of weeks more changes to the staff will take place. I'm sure there are guys on the staff he will want to talk with and coaches outside of the team he will want to talk with. Nothing unusual about it.
  15. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,655 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    When is the Senior Bowl?
  16. Doomsday101

75,095 Messages
    1,627 Likes Received
    No people come to their own conclusion. We fired a DC and hired a DC what is so unusal about that. Watch the NFL sometime you may see that other teams do the same thing. Kiffin will come in he will look at the staff in place, likely will talk with them and look to coaches he has worked with before.

Again nothing unusal about it.

How this works next season? I don't know that is why they play the games. Kiffin has had success in the NFL so he is not new to the game or the job at hand. He has some good talent on the defensive side and some areas that need to be addressed.
  17. Doomsday101

75,095 Messages
    1,627 Likes Received
    Jan 26th
  18. Doomsday101

75,095 Messages
    1,627 Likes Received
    No matter what people will be upset. If Jerry had kept the staff in tact he would be viewed as accepting the status quo if he replaces some coaches then it is a mess and piece meal?

He is damned either way.
  19. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,634 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Your cofusing facts with your opinion. Happens all the time on here. But your word is not god, only to you. :)
  20. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,873 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    I respect your opinions and well thought out posts..I just don't think some of the complaining..like my OP..is mindless complaining. I also didn't mean it that you think there should be no constructive criticism. I've just seen similar posts lately and for the most parts its been aimed at the "hater" vs "happy fan" labels. In this thread I'm taking in what the last few years have been like. What was being said going into the Washington game and what has happened after. As I said, you may be right regarding everything fitting into place. In my opinion I look at it as "bad Jerry" getting peeved and deciding to make waves. They might have decided Ryan was a goner and that Kiffin was the man. I just am not sure that happens if we make the playoffs so that is hard to plan. I also think the OC thing and the fact that some coaches are just leaving on their own shows some underlying tensions. It is why I've always been off and on regarding Jerry. Love the guy as owner/promoter and love that he wants to win...don't love how he goes about trying to win as GM. Some drafts are getting better but we are still recovering from others. I think the moves so far have been on the bad side regarding how they have been conducted. No offense and not trying to stir anything up. Just reminds me of the Jason before Wade thing

And this was what I was talking about above. It's not either/or. You can make changes and have it well planned. You can conduct interviews, have a plan, etc. I am glad we are changing things up. I just, at this point, don't see a plan. If there was a plan on the offensive side of the ball, you'd think Jerry would come out and say, "Jason is our man, we are going to help him on offense and we like our staff." We just have guys randomly looking, leaving..others in the wind..seems like it is all about the "uncomfortable plan." It's not like this is a far out notion considering what we've seen over the years.