1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Vehicle with explosives stopped in Charleston, South Carolina

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by CowboyJeff, Aug 5, 2007.

1. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    from CNN.com:

updated 1 hour, 48 minutes ago
    2 face explosives charges in traffic stop, but feds dispute bomb found
    • Story Highlights
    • Police say bomb found during routine traffic stop for speeding
    • Feds say there was no bomb; FBI doesn't find clear terrorism link
    • Police won't detail what bomb technicians blew up Sunday morning
    • Happened near Goose Creek, home to the Naval Weapons Station
    GOOSE CREEK, South Carolina (CNN) -- Two men faced state explosives charges Sunday after police outside Charleston, South Carolina, found what a law enforcement source said was a bomb and bomb-making material in their car during a weekend traffic stop.

"They're going to be formally charged tomorrow with state charges by the Berkeley County Sheriff's Office, and those charges will involve explosives," Berkeley County Chief Deputy Butch Henerey told CNN.

But federal officials disputed that account, telling CNN that there was no bomb.

And FBI spokesman Richard Kolko told CNN, "We have not found a clear link to terrorism."

The incident began about 5:30 p.m. Saturday, when the men's vehicle was pulled over along U.S. Highway 176 in Goose Creek, about 20 miles north of Charleston, for speeding, police said.

The law enforcement source, who insisted on anonymity, said the materials included at least one bomb and a number of bomb-making elements, including chemicals capable of being used in the production of bombs, fuses and igniters -- small gunpowder charges used to ignite some explosives.

The Charleston County bomb squad responded, and traffic was halted along the road for 10 hours until the materials were detonated, reporter Venton Blandin of CNN affiliate WCIV said. He described the sound of the detonation as "fairly small."

Police identified the men as Yousef Megahed, 21, and Ahmed Mohamed, 24, neither of whom is a U.S. citizen. They were being held at the Berkeley County Detention Center in Moncks Corner, South Carolina.

But federal officials cast doubt on the South Carolina authorities' account Sunday night.

Federal law enforcement sources familiar with the case said no bomb was found -- but the men arrested did not have ready explanations for materials found in the vehicle. That raised questions, which prompted local officials to contact the FBI and Joint Terrorism Task Force, the sources said.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the FBI, the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division and the Berkeley County Sheriff were investigating.

An officer at the detention center said explosives and possible immigration charges will likely be filed Monday. A news conference is scheduled for Monday at 11:30 a.m.
  2. Garland powerplay

Garland powerplay Active Member

1,228 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Deport these losers please!
  3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,042 Messages
    442 Likes Received
    I was going to ask why this was in the political forum.

And then I saw their names.
  4. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,339 Messages
    166 Likes Received
  5. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,658 Messages
    2,676 Likes Received
    Believe it or not I thought of the same thing.

I guess the difference now is that the feds are coming out and saying it is not a terrorist threat where before they waited.

Anyone else find it odd that the local or state is saying one thing but the feds are saying another in this case.

Things that should make you go hmmmm.
  6. Eric_Boyer

4,339 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    I trust the state's reaction more. They want the fame and publicity.

The fed's don't care about that as much, they would prefer to offer up disinformation - especially if those people were part of a terrorist ring.
  7. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I kind of think it's a dry run. But you can definitely tell the feds are covering-up what really happened so not to scare the public. That's nothing new.
  8. Eric_Boyer

4,339 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    government officials have no qualms about scaring the public. That is how they increase government power and has been practices for as long as man has been around.

What is much more likely is they don't want to tip off a group of people they are actively monitoring.

"nah, those guys weren't terrorists." ~ walks away whistling.
  9. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    so things like Roswell and the Kennedy Assassination consipracy never happened because everyone in government are good guys????? :rolleyes:
  10. Crown Royal

10,042 Messages
    442 Likes Received

Are you one of those who thinks man has never landed on the moon?
  11. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :lmao: :lmao2: :lmao: not quite......But I also am not gullible like some to believe everything my government tells me. :D
  12. Crown Royal

10,042 Messages
    442 Likes Received
    I hear that. Right now the government is telling me too many different things for me to believe any of it.
  13. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And that goes for the news too. Between Rupert Murdoch's news empire and CNN-Jazeera, you never know what to believe on the news anymore. It's funny that when you speak with a soldier returning from Iraq they have a different story to tell.
  14. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Update:

"2 Florida students charged in explosives scare face $800,000 bond; Authorities tightlipped on what was found in car" by Noah Haglund, Dave Munday, Andy Paras from the Charleston News and Courier.
    GOOSE CREEK — Two men pulled over Saturday in Goose Creek and detained for carrying explosives in the trunk of a car have been charged with possession of an incendiary device, Berkeley County Sheriff Wayne DeWitt announced today.
    If convicted of the charges, Youseff Megahed, 21, and Ahmed Mohamed, 24, could face between 2 to 15 years in prison.

DeWitt said the men were pulled over Saturday night on U.S. Highway 176 while driving more than 60 mph in a 45-mph zone. When an officer approached the car, he saw one of them men fold a laptop computer, which the officer believed was suspicious, DeWitt said.

The officer asked them if he could search the car, which the men agreed to. When he asked if there was anything in the car he should know about, the men said there were fireworks in the trunk.

(this is the best part....let the Islamic spin begin: )

At a 1:30 p.m. news conference today in Tampa, a spokesman for the University of South Florida where the men attend said Megahed is an undergraduate student and Mohamed is a civil engineering graduate student, the Tampa Tribune is reporting.

Mohamed is originally from Kuwait and completed his undergrad education in Cairo, according to the Tampa newspaper. He has been at USF since January and was registered for six hours during summer session, the spokesman told the paper.

Megahed, originally from Egpyt, has been enrolled at USF since 2004 and had not declared a major. He was registered for three hours this fall, according to the newspaper.

An Islamic community leader from Tampa, Fla., who’s been in touch with the families of the two detained college students, told The Post and Courier that Megahed and Mohamed are not troublemakers and that they a were simply on a weekend trip to North Carolina.

Ahmed Bedier, executive director of the Tampa chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, a civil rights organization for Muslims, said family members have told him they think the materials were leftover fireworks Megahed kept in his trunk since July 4.

“Both of them are really naïve kids,” Bedier said.

He said Megahed is a permanent legal resident of the United States and Mohamed was the passenger. Mohamed’s legal status is not known.

“There’s a lot of unanswered questions,” Bedier said.

A terrorism task force, meanwhile is reviewing the evidence, said FBI spokesman Richard Kolko.

“At this point, it is too early in the investigation to say there is any link to terrorism,” Kolko said.

News that explosives were found Saturday shocked residents in Goose Creek, home to the Naval Weapons Station, which houses the U.S. Naval Consolidated Brig, a military prison where enemy combatants have been held.