1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Vick restructures deal and is signed to Eagles for 2013 only

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 11, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,326 Messages
    3,193 Likes Received
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    Michael Vick and the Eagles needed each other for 2013. It's a win-win. They succeed, they stay together. They don't they break up.

Eagles QB Michael Vick signed a one-year deal that could be worth up to $10 million.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    Vick's new deal is technically a three-year deal, but, per the contract, final two years void in mid-March. So it's a one-year deal.

Jeff McLane ‏@Jeff_McLane
    Michael Vick is being brought back to "compete" for a starting job, per an NFL source.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,769 Messages
    3,758 Likes Received
    Eagles are going to be really fun to watch next season. Literally anything could happen there, but whatever it is, it's going to be dramatic.
  3. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,384 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Yeah, I heard about this a little earlier.

Vick with Chip...If Vick can muster it up for a year...the Eagles could be dangerous.

Or a complete circus.
  4. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,198 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    Pretty smart move by the Eagles. Vick gets one year with Kelly to see if he can run his system, at minimal risk to the team. Should be entertaining.
  5. rat2k8

rat2k8 Active Member

554 Messages
    120 Likes Received
    I think the Eagles made a huge mistake. Wasting 10 million on a player that has suffered many concussions and can't even finish most games due to other injuries. Money better spent bringing in someone else.
  6. SkinsandTerps

7,384 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Who would you suggest to bring in ?
  7. pgreptom

pgreptom Well-Known Member

1,434 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    That's the thing - the Eagles don't really have another option to run Chip's system. Isn't the contract incentive based?
  8. rojan

rojan Active Member

1,481 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    It'll be interesting to see the details of the contract. From the looks of it, it seems like the eagles are getting the better end of the deal.
  9. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,226 Messages
    674 Likes Received
    Sounds like it is only worth $10 million if Vick meets some incentives. If he doesn't, then the cost goes down. I wonder how much Vick was scheduled to make this year had he not re-worked his contract.
  10. SkinsandTerps

7,384 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    This was the first thing I looked at.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/30/more-vick-contract-details/

I think most of us would sign up for a certain 35 million and change. But especially after his situation.
  11. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I suspect they'll add some read-option packages a d want to see how he does with those. That would make sense given his dangerous speed.

If he does well then they'll pick up his 2 year option.
  12. whynot

whynot Active Member

108 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    So even the contracts are using the read-option now! ;)
  13. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

925 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    I see it more as an indictment of the talent pool for the draft concerning QB's, this was my first thought, second thought the boys caught a break. Golden Tate we are waiting for you laddie....
  14. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,171 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    I think that Philly was interested in Vick because he will be the link, for Chip Kelly to the rest of the team. Also, he can be an effective read option QB. He will fit what Kelly want's to do there IMO. I think Kelly knows who he wants at QB but I also think that they probably don't want to throw, whomever that is, to the wolves in the 1st year. Vick will help with the transition. If he fails, he's a built in excuse for Kelly, which is a big deal in Philly because the fan base is brutal.
  15. SkinsandTerps

7,384 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Exactly where I am coming from with this one.

The fit works. Up to Vick to see if he can get it done on a team that has talent, but...
  16. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,735 Messages
    5,267 Likes Received
    I honestly think it will be a total flop.
  17. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,047 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    Good news for the Cowboys. Vick is the new McNabb (in the latter years of his career). He is at the point where I want to see him take the field against us.
  18. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

805 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    They've always been dangerous on offense. To me the big question is whether they can shore up their defensive issues and turnover problems.
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,769 Messages
    3,758 Likes Received
    Year one, I think it very well might be, too. It's going to all depend on how well Chip can adjust to running his offense in a league where he doesn't have an amazing athletic advantage over everybody else. I don't think what he did in Oregon will translate directly. I don't know what to think, yet, about what he might do to adjust it for the NFL. I do think it'll probably be a year or two process for him, and I don't think it'll be driven by Mike Vick.

One thing of note, though, Kelly and Belichik have spent time in recent offseasons, comparing notes. NE does a pretty good job of borrowing the elements they think will work in this league. That's a pretty good blueprint to start from.
  20. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,322 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    Great news. As long as Vick is the 1 qb of the Eagles, they'll continue to struggle. He's a turnover machine and can't stay healthy.