1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

VIDEO COMPARISON: The Phillips 3-4 vs The Parcells 3-4

Discussion in 'Artwork Zone' started by TEK2000, May 17, 2007.

1. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,637 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    I could be wrong but I think the skinz are the only team that consistently uses it in their play book. Also what I was alluding to when I said counter trey, is the use of misdirection to exploit when a defense relies on their DL getting up field on the snap of the ball.
  2. TEK2000

TEK2000 New Member

2,152 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This all goes back to fitting the scheme to the players' skills. If a players' skills don't suit what is being asked of them, then they are going to have a much lower success level. Some players can still do well in Parcells' scheme... but obviously Marcus Spears was not one of them. I'm just hoping that Wade's scheme will suit Spears much better so he can be a quality player for us.

Putting Roy Williams in coverage 95+% of the time is not a scheme that fits his skill set. (though the coaches were forced to do that because of the lack of skills by teammates)

Its like asking Dirk Nowitzki to play basketball exactly like Tim Duncan does... its just not going to work for him.
  3. TEK2000

TEK2000 New Member

2,152 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The run/pass transition is VERY VERY different from the 1 gap system and the 2 gap system.

1 gap, you're already shaded to 1 side of the olineman normally and you're only concern is 1 gap. In 2 gap, you've got to account for BOTH sides of the offensivelineman that is blocking you... so you have to engage the offensive lineman HEAD ON and THEN try to get around him.

You've got to be an absolutely physically dominant player in the 2 gap system. You can get by with good moves, agility, and technique in the 1 gap system.
  4. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Well-Known Member

7,608 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Thats a really good way to look at the difference between the two. Excellent point.