1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Vikings DTs Kevin/Pat Williams are likely to be available for most if not all of 2010

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Jun 23, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Kevin Williams-DL- Vikings Jun. 23 - 5:37 pm et

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune confirms that Vikings DTs Kevin and Pat Williams are likely to be available for "most if not all" of the 2010 season based on a Wednesday court ruling.

We pretty much already knew the Williamses were likely to stay eligible, but Wednesday's ruling denied the NFL a chance to expedite hearing their appeals. It reportedly "could be months" before oral arguments are made, and as many as "three months after that" before a ruling. The Williams Wall continues to avoid punishment for taking the banned diuretic StarCaps.
    Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune
    Related: Pat Williams
  2. cowboyjoe

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Court denies request for expedited appeal in StarCaps case per pft
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 23, 2010 6:08 PM ET
    When it comes to the popularity of its product, the NFL has had a great year. When it comes to the performance of its lawyers, the NFL has had a crappy year.

Rochelle Olson of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that the Minnesota Court of Appeals has denied a request from the league to expedite the appeal of the NFL's victory in the StarCaps case.

Vikings defensive tackles Pat and Kevin Williams proved that the league violated Minnesota law by failing to give them timely notice of their positive test results for Bumetanide, the secret, active ingredient in the over-the-counter diet product known as StarCaps. But Judge Gary Larson found that the violation did not justify blocking the four-game suspensions imposed on the players.

That said, Larson ruled that the suspensions should not be imposed until the appeals process expires.

Thus, by refusing the league's request for an expedited appeal, the players almost certainly will be able to play for all of the 2010 season, especially since another level of appellate review remains available to them.

For Pat Williams, a 37-year-old who has expressed in the past a desire to resolve the case, the ruling could mean that he'll never be suspended -- he thought about retiring after the 2009 season, and he has said multiple times that he'd like to win a championship and call it quits.

For the league, the setback comes on the heels of a stunning 9-0 ruling by a typically-divided U.S. Supreme Court on the question of whether the NFL constitutes a single entity under antitrust laws, and also only days after the league suffered yet another defeat regarding the interpretation of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
  3. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Well-Known Member

6,107 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    I knew Pat Williams was up there, but I didn't know he was 37.
  4. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Truely amazing....it will be almost 3 years since they got caught by the time something can be done about it.
  5. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,858 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I have mixed feelings about this case.

On the one hand I think the local Minnesota judges in the case are allowing their team loyalty to the Vikings to influence their decisions and I think that is grossly unfair.

On the other hand, if what I understand to be the case is true, then the NFL has banned a substance but has not told any of the players it was a banned substance and was just waiting for people to use Star Caps and then bust them without warning. I believe that is wrong; I think if you are going to ban a substance and punish people for using it, you should tell them in advance that it is a banned substance and that anyone caught using it would be subject to being suspended rather than just pounce on unsuspecting users without them having any way to know it was a banned substance.

Just my opinion.
  6. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Each player is given a list of banned substances and it's up to them to make sure any product they buy doesn't include one of those substances.
  7. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In today's world that is easier said than done. Do you have any idea what was in that steak you had last night? I know I don't. This country imports catfish from China. No telling what the magical ingredient might be in that stuff. :(
  8. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,102 Messages
    836 Likes Received
    Sickening that the Vikes are able to flaunt the rules like this.
  9. cowboyjoe

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    yep, and you cant tell me that judge that ruled, isnt a vikes fan,
  10. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,974 Messages
    1,539 Likes Received
    Sorry, I don't buy that excuse. We are not talking about steak or catfish. We are talking about supplements. The players can compare what they are buying to the list the league distributes. They can also confer with team physicians. It is not that complicated.
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,126 Messages
    7,848 Likes Received
    I thought the issue was that StarCaps didn't divulge the fact that it contained a banned substance? I don't recall the details after so much time, but remember thinking this was a bull**** suspension and unfair to the Vikes. And my business partner's a huge Vikes fan, so I'm not positively disposed to like them. Only slightly less stupid than involving themselves in Wade Wilson's erections.
  12. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    37 years old? HAS to be steroids.
  13. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not making excuses for anyone. We know what went on with the Vikings players. I was just pointing out that knowing exactly what you are putting in your body is not always that easy. I know beef can have antibiotics and I think I've heard some type of growth hormone. It's anybodys guess what the mercury level is in fish. Especially saltwater fish.
  14. hornitosmonster

hornitosmonster Well-Known Member

4,518 Messages
    460 Likes Received
    A local Judge judge protecting his team
  15. Cover 2

Cover 2 Pessimists Unite!!!

3,132 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    They have a hotline they can call that will tell them if a product they are taking has any banned substances IIRC.