1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Vikings Free Agents

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by da_whiz_kid, Jan 24, 2013.

1. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

863 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    Phil Loadholt OT for the vikings and Jerome Simpson. Phil could start for us and is good in both the pass and run game. Question with him is will the vikings retain and could we get him at a decent price.
    Also, Jerome Simpson should come cheap and is a legitimate deep threat and would be a boost in that department for the boys.

Would these guys be good signings? Also, would we be able to bring in Brandon Moore to play guard if we put money into these guys, specifically loadholt?

The way I see it if you could acquire those two free agents, we could draft the other guard and we end up with a much improved line. Thoughts?
  2. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,314 Messages
    851 Likes Received
    Simpson was arrested in 2011 for drug trafficking so that eliminates him right there.

Phil Loadholt is the guy they almost drafted and then traded down into the 3rd and selected Robert Brewster instead. Really has developed into a good RT but he is going to get paid quite a bit. Adrian Peterson wants the Vikes to keep him.
  3. da_whiz_kid

863 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    Ah its only trafficking! Lol

Point taken though. Lol
  4. da_whiz_kid

863 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    Didn't see this when I wrote earlier. Well then, if AP wants him then it's a done deal. How do you feel about Ryan Harris?
  5. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,314 Messages
    851 Likes Received
    Harris is more of a journeyman type although he does fit the zone blocking scheme. Normally teams want bigger RTs than him. Should be cheap though.
  6. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,135 Messages
    3,802 Likes Received
    IMO, Loadholt is a biscuit or a birthday away from being too slow to play OT in the NFL.

He gets by with a lot of holding. The refs would run out of yellow flags if a Cowboys player used his techniques.

Brandon Moore would be perfect, IMO. He played 4 years with Callahan as his coach. He would be a veteran RG next to a young RT like Parnell and should be an expert in Callahan's system.

At age 32, Moore shouldn't command a large contract. Hopefully, they can draft/develop some Guards that would be pushing him for the starting job by 2014.
  7. da_whiz_kid

863 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    What if he switched from biscuits to bisquick? Would that make a difference in his speed?
    But I do agree. I actually like Parnell and his potential, he just needed more playing time.
    I also think the more closely we could keep the line together, with the exception of free and either the center or other guard position, they are more likely to mesh well. I think someone posted some info on line play, sacks allowed, and showed berny and free were our weakest links? I can't find it.
  8. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Loadholt will get paid, also he will be 29 soon and at his size no thanks to signing him to big money long term.

Also Moore is 32 so no thanks there either.

I want young free agents or build through the draft.
  9. da_whiz_kid

863 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    I didnt realize loadholt was 29. moore I think is necessary. There is nothing wrong with having a vet whos is effective and familiar with the system. The draft we better go line 1-6. lol
  10. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    no way do you ever go into a draft saying only draft OL and DL. If there is a Safety, OLB, or RB with a much higher grade than the OL or DL on the board at the time, no way do you reach on the OL or DL.

If they are close ten I have no problem taking the line.

Moore is not necessary. Slauson is much younger and he knows Callahan much more than Moore does and only 26.

I don't see Jerry drafting many OL, maybe two in the first 4 rounds at most. Cooper would be great fit in this system. So would Brian Winters at OG or RT.
  11. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,135 Messages
    3,802 Likes Received
    Ryan Harris would be a good guy to sign to a "prove it" type of contract. He is only 27 and has been a borderline starter with 36 starts but only 20 of 48 in past 3 years.

I predict that Parnell would win the RT job over Harris; however, either way, there would be some depth at the position without a big dollar investment.

If you have access to the All-22 from NFL.com, I suggest watching all of Parnell's snaps at OT this season. He was better than Free and his upside is unlimited. He just needs experience because he only played football for 1 year in college and that was at DE.

If you could have put the 2012 version of Parnell on a college team in 2012, he would have been a dominant player, IMO. People would be jumping up-and-down to draft him in the 1st round.

I really can't find any problems with Parnell other than lack of experience.

Size - The team website never has accurate roster data. Just look at Parnell standing next to Tyron Smith. Parnell is definitely bigger.

Arm Length - He didn't go through official pre-draft workouts therefore fans don't have this data; however, again look at him next to Tyron Smith. It is obvious that Parnell has similar very-long arms.

Athleticism - He has Tyron Smith type of foot quickness. This is not surprising because he was a college basketball player.

Strength - This was an issue when he first got here 2 years ago; however, this season you could easily see that he was significantly stronger than Doug Free, especially in the upper body.

Aggressive Attitude - He first displayed this early in the season while blocking for a kick by Bailey. One of the defenders hit either Bailey or the holder late and Parnell got really mad. He appeared ready to kill the guy until Tyron stepped in an told him to let it go. At OT he appeared to enjoy blocking a little through the whistle and putting defenders on the ground.

OK, I admit that I really enjoy studying players that I think are underrated.

The last time that I can remember thinking a Cowboys player was underrated to this extent was when I noticed Ratliff at training camp during his rookie year.

I remember during Ratliff's rookie season thinking "how is it that nobody notices that this guy has something?".

Before Ratliff, it might go all the way back to Leon Lett. Seeing that guy in person at training camp was a "holy crap" moment. I'm still not sure that I've ever seen a guy that big move like he did.

Disclaimer: After seeing MartyB at training camp in his 2nd year, I thought he was going to kick butt in the NFL; however, I didn't consider him vastly underrated due to being a 2nd round draft pick.

I find some players that I think are underrated in the draft every year, but only occasionally on the Cowboys roster. I did hype Albright a little this past off-season and the jury is still out on him.

It's a catch-22 finding underrated players in the draft. If you're wrong then you're wrong but if you're right, then they "rise" up the draft boards and are no longer a bargain for your team. Khalad Holmes and D.J. Swearinger are my top underrated players at this minute.

OK, I'm rambling...