1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Virginian GOP gubernatorial candidate's writings come back to haunt him

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by TheRat, Aug 31, 2009.

1. TheRat

TheRat The Silly Willy

1,869 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    '89 Thesis A Different Side of McDonnell

Va. GOP Candidate Wrote on Women, Marriage and Gays

At age 34, two years before his first election and two decades before he would run for governor of Virginia, Robert F. McDonnell submitted a master's thesis to the evangelical school he was attending in Virginia Beach in which he described working women and feminists as "detrimental" to the family. He said government policy should favor married couples over "cohabitators, homosexuals or fornicators." He described as "illogical" a 1972 Supreme Court decision legalizing the use of contraception by unmarried couples.

The 93-page document, which is publicly available at the Regent University library, culminates with a 15-point action plan that McDonnell said the Republican Party should follow to protect American families -- a vision that he started to put into action soon after he was elected to the Virginia House of Delegates.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/29/AR2009082902434.html
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,807 Messages
    561 Likes Received
    Goodlord

Miles/Rat/Ioz is back?
  3. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And he picked up right where he left off: spreading manure.
  4. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Haunt him?
    I like the way the people who write these things attempt to impose ready made conditions on an issue. But no, they're not out to subvert you.

It's called having your own beliefs and you're entitled to them, whether you're against ****** or you happen to be a gay congressman. Pro abortion, anti-abortion. Beliefs we're all allowed to practice. Being against gays doesn't make you a bigot, it means you possess a different ideology.

How lame.
  5. TheRat

TheRat The Silly Willy

1,869 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    I think his views on women could hurt him politically. I am not making a moral judgment, just pointing out the fact this is not good politically for him.
  6. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I doubt it, with partisan favoritism running amok Republicans will have no problem voting for the anti-Christ as long as he has an R by his name and anyone with any sense who calls themselves moderate will vote against the party in power.

Of course the talking heads will have no trouble parading this garbage around, trying to make sure they have their finger on the pulse of the near dead.
  7. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think not.
    Are you familiar with this quote:
    "White man's greed runs a world in need"?

And how about michelle Obama's thesis?
  8. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    tough to persecute a guy for his thesis. He may have had to write about something, even though he didn't believe in it totally. It was for a grade after all.

Now if this happened to a dem, I would write the same thing, but I'd be lambasted the the usual suspects in here.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
  10. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,275 Messages
    833 Likes Received
    Can we have access to Obama's college writings to compare?
  11. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    No.

:muttley:

You have to ask for these things a lot earlier a politicians career and if the politician is playing it smart he's not creating much of a stir that early and just tries to blend into the background.
  12. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,737 Messages
    221 Likes Received

Cowboy while you tend to lean left and I do not agree with most of what you say you do tend to be anchored unlike Rat here. Rat thinks people here have the attention span of a house fly and we all have forgotten his idiotic posts from a week ago.
  13. TheRat

TheRat The Silly Willy

1,869 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    I'm talking about independents and moderates obviously.
  14. TheRat

TheRat The Silly Willy

1,869 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Hey ABQ.
  15. TheRat

TheRat The Silly Willy

1,869 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    He was 34 when he wrote it...
  16. TheRat

TheRat The Silly Willy

1,869 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    I don't think Columbia catalogs papers from every student they have ever had. Your request is a bit ridiculous. But since Obama was President of Harvard Law Review, I'm positive all of his Law review articles are available. So there you go.
  17. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Hmmmm.....well, I didn't know that. Interesting.
  18. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,182 Messages
    289 Likes Received
    It's silly when people search out what someone said in the past to through it in your face. People are allowed to change their views over time. I was against gay marriage in the 1980s then had an epiphany and realized it was only homophobia that caused me to feel that way.

It is possible he has changed his mind.
  19. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,737 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    I am just against it being called "marriage" they can get all the same rights as married people they can just call it something else. Otherwise Gay marriage ranks up their with Abortion and the price of tea in China.
  20. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Such as my beliefs that I don't hate women (I love them in fact), but I do hate feminists with a passion.