1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Von Miller as a ILB

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CATCH17, Jan 28, 2011.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,285 Messages
    1,496 Likes Received
    Has this been discussed?

That would allow you to use him as more of a hybrid player too.

But the same questions about playing the run will still be there I guess.
  2. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,008 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I've never seem him do anything but speed rush from the outside.
  3. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I can't imagine whoever drafts him would move him to ILB. (at least early on)
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,746 Messages
    748 Likes Received
    It would be a waste of his talents, really.
  5. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,285 Messages
    1,496 Likes Received
    In a 3-4 I'm starting to think that's a better fit for him on 1st and 2nd down.

I really think if he goes to a 3-4 team he'll be used as some type of hybrid player. A player that disrupts.

I don't think he will be a traditional LB in a 3-4.

I'm intrigued by him but I'm just not sure what to do with him.
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,380 Messages
    1,875 Likes Received
    Von Miller looks like a classic 3-4 OLB to me, Catch.
  7. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,285 Messages
    1,496 Likes Received
    He doesn't look classic to me or he would be a top 5 pick if it was obvious what he was.

He looks like a 4-3 WOLB to me and a hybrid ILB / OLB in a 3-4.

He's good in coverage too so that's where I'm getting this idea.

If you like to Zone blitz he could really add to your dynamics.
  8. DFWJC

22,380 Messages
    1,875 Likes Received
    Picky-picky.:D

We probably define "classic" a little differently.

By classic, I meant more that he fit that position very well. You could be a classic fit at an position but not be the very best at it---see Spencer as an example.

BTW, I'm not saying Miller could not play ILB. I just like him much better on the outside.

I see the top end pass-rushing DE/OLBs going more often going in the 10-20 range than the top 5. Check out the recent drafts.

Arakpo--13th
    Graham--13th
    Pierre-Paul--15th
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,746 Messages
    748 Likes Received
    I believe he's talking in terms of play, not physically. By his play, Von Miller is pretty much a 3-4 OLB, some team might try to force him to play 4-3 OLB, but his natural position is 3-4 OLB.

The fact that he's underweight is common knowledge at this point, but his weight is the main reason people are trying to move him somewhere else.

If he weighed 10 lbs more, all the traits you're seeing as reasons he has no real position would be considered excellent skills for a 3-4 OLB.
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,285 Messages
    1,496 Likes Received

Which is why I think the team who drafts him isn't going to tell him to just be a OLB unless it's a 4-3 team.

I think the team that gets him is going to Line him up all over the place.
  11. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,746 Messages
    748 Likes Received
    Only if they're smart, but you probably still want him spending the majority of his time rushing the passer.
  12. DFWJC

22,380 Messages
    1,875 Likes Received
    I could see that happening some.
  13. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,285 Messages
    1,496 Likes Received
    I'm watching Greenbay right now and they are just bringing Matthews from everywhere.

I think the team who drafts Miller is going to do the exact same thing.
  14. natesboys051

natesboys051 New Member

112 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Heck, Von Miller would be a faster version (if that's possible) of Clay Matthews. Rob Ryan would line him up at different spots on the defensive line on 3rd down or passing downs as Dom Capers does with Clay Matthews (although Von Miller would be our right OLB on paper).

Von Miller would also be our BEST option (on our entire roster) to cover opposing (elite) TE's on passing downs (if not sent by Ryan on a QB blitz/pass rush). With Miller's excellent flexibility (God-given ability to 'flip his hips' like an elite CB), he'd just look like a bigger version of a NFL CB but he could cover the best and fastest TE's in the league with his own elite speed.

If he (or Quinn) falls to us at Pick#9, Jerrah will pull the trigger on this guy. If not, he should slide down and draft one of the top tier OT's (Solder or Castrono or Camrini or other BPA OT) to start rebuilding our aging OL and then a top tier OG or Center (Moffitt or Watson) in the 2nd Rd.

Note: During Emmitt's years, we had the best OL in the NFL and won 3 Rings with them.
  15. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I actually think if Rob Ryan had final say, and both Von Miller and Patrick Peterson were on the board, he would take Von in a heart beat just because of the flexibility he can bring to a defensive play caller.

With a presence like Ware already, teams can't focus on Von, and he will be in space thanks to that. We all know Von Miller in space = $ack/some form of disruption
  16. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Take it from someone who watched every game he played for the past four years: This would literally be the worst idea in the history of bad ideas. We're talking Napolean invading Russia bad.
  17. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    We will have to wait and see. I am somewhat skeptical, but I know Rob Ryan likes these gadget guys and he sure seems like one.

Sometimes the tweeners give you the most productivity becaues you get the best of both worlds
  18. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,285 Messages
    1,496 Likes Received
    Well if you line him up as a traditional OLB in a 3-4 I would personally go right at him all day.

I think you have to be creative with this guy for him to have success in a 3-4.
  19. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,746 Messages
    748 Likes Received
    I think they scheme very well in general, but I also think they give Clay a bit of a free license to make his own decisions, especially in a sure passing situation.
  20. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Von Miller and Clay Matthews are entirely different beasts. Clay was a hybrid-DE/LB at USC and played on occasion with his hand down and is a much, much, much more physical player. Von Miller has tremendous burst and athleticism, but he is not a physical player.