1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Von Miller, best athlete in the draft?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheCount, Mar 6, 2011.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,301 Messages
    1,249 Likes Received
    The more I hear and see of this kid, the more I like him. At this point, I think (were they both on the board somehow at 9), I'd have a hard time choosing between Miller and Peterson.

I think he's gonna be a special one and pound for pound, he just might be a better athlete than Peterson is.
  2. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    He really is the best athlete, but he is far from polished. Now that means he has loads of potential, but if not coached correctly, watch out.

Anyways, I want this dude. Don't care if we have less than 5% chance of getting him; I'm gunna wish for the best
  3. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    simple answer

NO
  4. Jaxonsdaddd

Jaxonsdaddd Member

327 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would love to have Von Miller to add to this teams front 7. Can you imagine third and longs with Demarcus coming one one side and Von coming on the other?? Would be awesome.
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,301 Messages
    1,249 Likes Received
    Your contribution to this conversation has been invaluable. Keep up the good work.
  6. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,645 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    my problem with Miller is that he is a great colege player and has all the scouts eyes in workouts and at the combine. But he reminds me of vernon golhston way to much.

Miller is absolutly bad vs the run so no way he could play SOLB and we have Ware at WOLB. Do you want to move Ware to SOLB.

Miller at RILB wouldn't be a bad move, we need a replacement at ILB there and move Lee to LILB. Imagine moving Rat to RE and sendig Ware and Miller on the right side behind Ratliff.

Everyone needs to go look at Miller game tape and see how he plays the run. LSU ran right at him in the cotten bowl, the QB even ran right by him. Miller gets blocked out of the play one on one by TEs. Thats not what you want at SOLB.
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,301 Messages
    1,249 Likes Received
    I've said before that I don't think run D will be an issue with Miller. You hear a lot of talk about it, but when I've watched him play, the positives far outweigh the negative.

His run D is a lot better than he's given credit for and his physicality is also vastly underrated.

I definitely am having trouble seeing the connection Gholston has to Miller as well. Gholston's biggest flaw is not run defense, it's that he simply isn't a 3-4 OLB, hence why they tried him at 3-4 DE. Miller has actual experience playing the Elephant at A&M.

I also have yet to see all these TE's that block the guy 1 on 1, you don't become one of the NCAA's most feared pass rushers because TE's are stonewalling you one on one.
  8. supercowboy8

5,645 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    the TEs blocked Miller one on one in the running game.

Miller can rush the passer but is very poor vs the run.

I compare gohston to Miller because of how both flew up the board after there workouts.

Watch the clips see how he is vs the run, how bad he is when the RB coming right at him or how he doesn't even try to tackle the rb more of just hit him.
    Miller only wants the glory of sacks. Now I would love to have him as a WOLB or RILB but not to replace spencer at SOLB. Miller belongs on the weak side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkDdpgRn7Pk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtZcPMjiuho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjeaK1TuvDQ
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,301 Messages
    1,249 Likes Received
    I think we are seeing completely different things when watching him. On the plays where they are running at him with success, it's not because he's getting manhandled, it's because he goes outside and the run goes in, or the opposite. There aren't a ton of players that can make up for their mistake once they've shot the wrong gap.

I see him stacking guys and shedding, I see him extending his arms to keep men that weigh 70+ lbs more than him off his body with relative ease, I see him picking through trash to get in on plays. On a couple of plays he even tosses guys much larger than himself out of the way in the process of going after the RB.

Does he win every battle? No, of course not. Who does?
  10. supercowboy8

5,645 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    only thing I see from miller is great pass rusher and RBs running right by himm and miller fails to get off blocks to get to the RB. Sorry man but I haven't see any evidence in Miller being good vs the run.

I dont want him to win every battle but atleast a few. Bob Strum even talks about it.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/01/bob-sturm-texas-ams-von-miller.html

I think Miller will be a great WOLB or RILB and I would have him at those positions but we have Ware and ware is better than Miller. But at SOLB where a main part of your job is getting off TEs and tackling and stopping the run Miller doesn't show to me that he can do that.

I think mIller= great WOLB very very good pro bowl RILB but average SOLB.
  11. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Benched

12,012 Messages
    150 Likes Received

Damn. You really cornered the market for Marcs in your mock
  12. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think so... He's going to be amazing in the NFL. I want him in a Cowboys uniform although they will be highly unlikely.
  13. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,301 Messages
    1,249 Likes Received
    Hahaha, I didn't even realize that. I think I'm gonna have to go dig up some more so they can all be Marcs.
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,301 Messages
    1,249 Likes Received
    Yeah I've read that, I think he's just playing devils advocate. A lot of his arguments seem half hearted if not uninformed. It's one of those things you put together on a lazy sunday with nothing but Youtube as your research tools.

Miller's weight is a legit concern, but it seems like every argument against him is built on that foundation.

You can't knock his athleticism, his explosion, his knowledge of the system, his ability in space, character, etc. so what's the next easiest target? His run defense.
  15. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Miller may well be the best overall athlete in the draft. He is certainly in the running for that label anyway. Unfortunately "best athlete" and 'best football player" aren't necessarily the same thing. I think Milller has a chance to be very good in the right system with the right team, but i don't hink he's an ideal fit for everyone.
  16. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,301 Messages
    1,249 Likes Received
    I don't think anyone could rightly say best player on anyone, that has yet to be proven.
  17. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Julio Jones and Patrick Peterson are better athletes.
  18. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It could be argued that Miller's the best athlete for sure. However, IMO he certainly isn't the best player or prospect for that matter.
  19. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,345 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    :stupid:
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,301 Messages
    1,249 Likes Received
    I agree, best prospect is very subjective.