1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Wade Phillips "smashing success"

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Doomsday101, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    Wade Phillips’ debut as Texans defensive coordinator was a smashing success. Just ask Greg McElroy.

The New York Jets’ backup quarterback was sacked five times in three quarters at Reliant Stadium on Monday night. The Texans had seven sacks overall – they had eight in the entire preseason last year –and 16 quarterback hits as they beat the Jets 20-16 in their preseason opener, which also served as the first look at Phillips’ 3-4 defense.

“I thought we did a good job,” Phillips said. “We played hard. We made some mistakes, obviously, but we’re looking for effort and assignment. I didn’t expect that many sacks, because most of the stuff we ran was base defense and we didn’t run any blitzes.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...ning-win/c7f8e10d-e04e-4b35-bf3a-1bb55dc565e7
  2. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    He is a good D Coordinator ... just not a head coach.
  3. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Correct. Not head coach material. I will miss the confused look on his face on the sidelines, like he's trying to divide by zero.
  4. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,345 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,632 Messages
    2,460 Likes Received
    They'll shave 50-80 points off that point total that the defense gave up last year.
    I haven't looked at their schedule to see if they can get 10 wins or not.
  6. 8FOR!3

8FOR!3 Well-Known Member

1,363 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    I doubt they're a ten win team, but maybe they're finally playoff material with 9-7.
  7. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,659 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    I doubt anybody is making the playoffs at 9-7 in the AFC. Only time will tell though. If Houston's D improves even a small amount, they should push for a playoff spot. Their offense is very potent.
  8. burntricersx

burntricersx Member

506 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Mr. Fix-It's strikes again!
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,652 Messages
    5,563 Likes Received
    Just beat me to it.
  10. DallasGirl50

DallasGirl50 New Member

2,025 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Kubiak is on a short leash..they must win or he is done. I would not be surprised if Wade is given the head coaching job there.