1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Wade > RRyan > Kiffin?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by T-RO, Sep 24, 2013.

1. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,404 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    It's a small and disparate sample...very inconclusive at this point. But many Cowboy fans sure haven't been shying away from laudatory conclusions about our new defense.
  2. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,404 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Hardly. Ryan was not infrequently having to play 2 and 3 guys right off the street...and I'm talking: sign 'em on Tuesday and play 'em on Sunday.
  3. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,404 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    We've blasted most all of them...mindlessly dumping a world of blame on their shoulders. On offense Sean Payton wasn't appreciated when here, but again: simply a superior coach.
  4. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,404 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    I agree on that point, but I'm wondering if that's not more Marinelli than Kiffin. The guy seems to be in another universe when it comes to coaching up linemen. (See Rafael's latest post on that point)
  5. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,404 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Good post. I'm still tentative on Kiffin. We've yet to face a good pistol multi-option offense and we've yet to face Peyton. The proof will be in the pudding.
  6. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,404 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it...isn't that the famous line? I find looking backwards very illuminating.
  7. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Eli marching down the field is still fresh on my mind. The Gisnts were running simple slant routes. Everybody on the Dallas coaching staff knew it , but still couldn't stop it. It came close to costing Dallas the game. Now that the Giants have shown that their offense is not that good, it really concerns me what Rivers and Manning are going to do. I think pass coverage in the middle is my biggest concern. You bring up another concern with Kiffin and that is his problems with the pistol offenses. He has yet to face such an offense in the NFL, but he didn't have an answer at the college level.
  8. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Sooooo what do you think Peyton would do to the Saints t-ro? Who have they faced besides Matt Ryan with a banged up Roddy White?
  9. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,237 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    Phillips has always been an exceptional DC that is why he keeps getting HC jobs but I think he experienced his last HC job in the NFL when he got fired from Dallas.

Ryan has been trading on his family name for most of his career. He has not had stellar defenses, some good ones but nothing that warranted the attention he gets and draws.

Kiffin had his stamp on a defense for ever decade, he would have received more accolades if it wasn't for the offensive ineptitude that was tampa for a while. When teams played Tampa they were more worried about the defense than the offense.
  10. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,085 Messages
    1,133 Likes Received
    LOL I know....but I never thought people especially at this point rueing over Rob Ryan.....didn't expect that.
    Frozen700 likes this.
  11. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,680 Messages
    1,000 Likes Received
    I never remember the QB being confused very much the 2 seasons was here. What I do remember is QBs carving our defense up for dinner and marching straight down the field constantly. And a defense that could never force any turnovers or get consistent pressure.

I thought Ryan tried too hard to be exotic at times. This new scheme of being simple and just doing your assignments seems to be working so far. We will see how long it lasts.

I always remember Ryan saying we were going to kick the Eagless a** 2 years ago on a SNF game and then we get completely destroyed. He's like his brother and dad. Loud mouths.
  12. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,404 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    You don't expect people to think. Surprising when it happens, isn't it?
  13. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,269 Messages
    2,465 Likes Received
    Do you know what this means? DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS?

It means we fired the wrong people! Oh no! OH NO!

We're lost, I tell you. LOST! There's no hope. NO HOPE!
  14. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,404 Messages
    319 Likes Received

I'm going to go out on a limb here...and guess that your posts in the morning are better. Maybe mid-day?
  15. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,269 Messages
    2,465 Likes Received
    The quality of my responses generally mirror the quality of the post to which I'm responding. Just FYI...
  16. tico

tico Active Member

569 Messages
    86 Likes Received
    My thoughts on D-cord (not HC). I Respected Wade, I liked Ryan, but I love Kiffin's new attitude Defense. We just didn't have the tools for a 3-4... IMO
    4-3 with Zimmer's TotalDefense was 4th in 2001, 1st in 2003... 4-3 just works for us..
    Clove likes this.
  17. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,612 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    Lets re-visit this in a few weeks
  18. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

6,063 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    I agree with that, but I also think that the overall defense seems to be adjusting more week-on-week, not necessarily to each new opponent, but to their short comings in the prior game. We'll see how they do against some of the better and more innovative offenses in the coming weeks as you point out. Everybody does seem to be hitting harder, blowing up blockers and swarming / attempting to strip the ball more than in years past IMO.
  19. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    To me, it doesn't matter what the ex-coaches are doing with another team, what matters is what they did with the Cowboys. I like what Wade did with as a DC but not as a head coach. Ryan didn't fare well with Cowboys. Love Monte/Rod are doing, love their results thus far.
  20. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,965 Messages
    1,529 Likes Received
    Hou opponents: SD, Tenn, Balt
    NO opponents: Atl, TB, Ariz

not exactly juggernauts there...if you are going to look at the schedule for Dallas, then you have to look at these as well....and, is there anyone that would prefer Wade or Rob over Monte/Rod right now? I certainly wouldn't...the defense is running to the ball, they are gang-tackling, they are trying to strip the ball....you didn't see that with the units of Phillips/Ryan...I always liked Wade's defensive mind (still do) but Rob was/is a loose cannon and had no idea what to do once the injuries started to mount...with our current defense, you see guys off of the street that are having an impact, I just don't think you would EVER see something like that out of a Ryan defense...let's see how the saints and texans do when they play some better teams...