1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

WalterFootball.com 1/16/14 Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Jan 16, 2014.

1. dwight

dwight Well-Known Member

1,084 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    First of all I didn't know he had motivational issues. In regards to him being total opposite of what Dallas wants, in my opinion I feel that Nix would provide Dallas with a solid presence in the middle. What's the problem with that?
  2. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,525 Messages
    972 Likes Received
    Nix was benched and almost kicked off ND early in his college playing career.

The problem with a "solid presence in the middle" is that our entire D-line philosophy is built on having 4 guys whose primary job it is to get to the QB.

Like it or not, only a stupid team drafts guys who aren't a fit to the scheme they run
  3. dwight

dwight Well-Known Member

1,084 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    I didn't know about his problems that's something I need to research. However, it's just my opinion about his performance.
  4. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Nix looks like Wifork coming out of college. He is a great player. Like Star l. He won't put up numbers but will have huge impact on his defense.
    jobberone likes this.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,247 Messages
    4,191 Likes Received
    I can live with that.
  6. jobberone

38,247 Messages
    4,191 Likes Received

We need a rush 3 or two but we can use a heavy for the 1. We don't always shoot the gaps and Kiffin said he wanted to play some shoot and hold. When they play 3 down they should be playing some 2 gap as well. And we can use an anchor on the GL and short yardage. So a NT is ok with me.
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,542 Messages
    1,413 Likes Received
    No chance Yankee is there in round 2
  8. AbeBeta

25,525 Messages
    972 Likes Received
    Play "some."

Yeah, I'm going to spend a first on "some."
  9. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,918 Messages
    469 Likes Received
    I wouldn't think so either since there are some pretty disruptive 300+ pound big guys.
  10. jobberone

38,247 Messages
    4,191 Likes Received
    You misread that. It doesn't mean the player plays a few snaps. It means they play different gap control.
  11. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,545 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    i take it minus the 4th round, give me a RB
  12. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,117 Messages
    2,683 Likes Received
  13. AbeBeta

25,525 Messages
    972 Likes Received
    Job, you gotta get past what you like in a DT and understand what the coaches want.
  14. jobberone

38,247 Messages
    4,191 Likes Received
    I said I wouldn't mind a 1 who could play 2 gap and penetrate in a one gap as well. Nothing wrong with that and I'd bet they'd love to have a guy like that to compliment a rush 3 tech. I like versatility. The more things a guy can play the better.

Those guys don't grow on trees though. I suspect they'll take the best they can get.
  15. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,061 Messages
    647 Likes Received
    I've said it a few times, but if Mareneli can't figure out how to effectively use a guy like Nix then Rod doesn't need a job here. And I like Rod, but we just need to draft the most talented players we can get and not worry about what a d line coach who has a decent chance of being employed else where next year wants.

Not to mention that not drafting a talented player because they are too big just doesn't work as a general idea in the NFL.
  16. jobberone

38,247 Messages
    4,191 Likes Received
    I agree. They should draft the best player available with an eye on DL, S and CB initially.
  17. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

2,136 Messages
    803 Likes Received
    yap
  18. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,959 Messages
    5,337 Likes Received
    Figuring out how to use him is not really the issue. At #16/17 there are many talented players to choose from. It's about how Nix compares to those players. I'm sure Marinelli could get the best out of him but is Nix more valuable to the Cowboys than all other available players?
  19. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,397 Messages
    1,574 Likes Received
    Just so you understand- it's
    [IMG]
  20. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,061 Messages
    647 Likes Received
    Yeah I know. I'm just saying that if Nix is clearly the best player available on the board it would be beyond dumb to pass on him because he's too big. I don't want to reach for a guy like Donald at 16 and pass on Nix just because Mareneli likes smaller DT's. That's pretty much the same thing as passing on BPA to reach for a position of need in my book. We just need the most talented front 7 players we can get.
    tantrix1969 likes this.